Soi Dog urges against Krabi mass stray roundup after American boy, 7, attacked

snoop1130

Soi Dog urges against Krabi mass stray roundup after American boy, 7, attacked

By The Phuket News

1580374077_1-org.jpg

Krabi Governor Pol Lt Col (Rtd) ML Kitibodee Pravitra ordered the mass roundup after American boy Nolan Anderson, 7, was attacked by a pack of dogs on Ao Siao Beach. Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET:-- Soi Dog Foundation and Lanta Animal Welfare are urging Krabi Provincial Governor Pol Lt Col (Rtd) ML Kitibodee Pravitra to revoke his order to round up and impound stray dogs at tourist hotspots in the province after a 7-year-old American boy was attacked by a pack of stray dogs at Ao Siao beach, west of Ao Nang.

The boy, Nolan Jess Anderson, 7, was playing on the beach while his father was exercising nearby on Jan 18 when he was set upon by a pack of about eight dogs.

The father heard Nolan’s screams and rushed to rescue him from the attack, but by that time the boy had suffered multiple bites, with deep puncture lacerations under his left arm from when he held his hands up to cover his face.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/soi-dog-urges-against-krabi-mass-stray-roundup-after-american-boy-7-attacked-74605.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-01-30
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

I suggest that Soi Dog Foundation and Lanta Animal Welfare be held legally and financially responsible for future stray dog attacks.

Reasonable idea but that won't prevent future painful and potentially deadly attacks.

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Why haven’t these stray dogs not rounded up years ago?

How third world that looks for the visitors.

Agree. Thailand stopped culling dogs some years back. I was in India a few moths ago - lots of stay dogs. I asked why and was informed about eight years ago culling of stray dogs was stopped, now a big problem in India e.g.

https://blogs.agu.org/sciencecommunication/2019/07/09/human-rabies-mortality-in-india-why-is-this-still-an-issue/

They do have a point. When you remove dogs, other dogs will move in and soon you'll be in same situation. Either constantly remove all dogs, or neuter and return them to guard the territory, which will keep numbers low. The main point should have been chipping the dogs and checking the chips of strays, with hefty penalties for the owners who ditch their pets.

15 hours ago, Beggar said:

I can't understand why people support such organizations. Obviously they care more about such dangerous animals than about people. 

"Mr Sakdapol suggested that provincial budgets would be better spent on a long-term sterilisation and vaccination programme, which is proven to be the most effective way to humanely and sustainably reduce stray dog populations." 

Not 1 of these measures would prevent new human victims. How many more innocent victims does it need that such a naive thinking stops?! 

I would agree with a vaccination program that put an end to their suffering......

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

They do have a point. When you remove dogs, other dogs will move in and soon you'll be in same situation. Either constantly remove all dogs, or neuter and return them to guard the territory, which will keep numbers low. The main point should have been chipping the dogs and checking the chips of strays, with hefty penalties for the owners who ditch their pets.

This needs to be a perpetual purging program.

Come on Prayut, take the lead !

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Beggar said:

I can't understand why people support such organizations. Obviously they care more about such dangerous animals than about people. 

"Mr Sakdapol suggested that provincial budgets would be better spent on a long-term sterilisation and vaccination programme, which is proven to be the most effective way to humanely and sustainably reduce stray dog populations." 

Not 1 of these measures would prevent new human victims. How many more innocent victims does it need that such a naive thinking stops?! 

I certainly care as much about animals as I do people. Humans will have a lot to answer for should there ever be a judgement day.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This is a continuing problem which needs to be continuously managed. A one off round up and storing of stray dogs is not the way to do it. As has been said, other packs will move in. Requiring those to be removed and stored. And so on...

Neutering and vaccinating them may, and I say may, decrease the pack's aggressive nature if they were returned to 'guard' their territory, but there is a continuing risk if this is done.

Risk and reward, responsibility. All dogs that are owned should be identified. making the 'owner'  responsible for the actions of their dog.

Destroy all dogs that are strays.

Continually.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Soi Dog Foundation and Lanta Animal Welfare are urging Krabi Provincial Governor Pol Lt Col (Rtd) ML Kitibodee Pravitra to revoke his order to round up and impound stray dogs

quite sure the people from Soi Dog Foundation and LAnta Animal Welfare didn't have any relatives/family members and/or friends bittern by the stray dogs, if they had, they would be taking a different approach to the matter

• Like 2

The Soi Dog Foundation has the right idea, but have their proposed MO per feral species misaligned.  The 2 legged version with pack mentality to attack/beat, rob or rape, should be darted/tranquilized and sterilized.  The 4 legged version should be tranquilized/euthanized.

Edited by CanuckThai
penmanship