Black magic in Thailand

Kenny202

That’s just a quick summary of the story it’s a long story and I don’t want to write it all but it was weird and a lot more to it than just the cat acting strange the cat no question saw something that we couldn’t see no doubt about that part. The question is what? I have no other explanation.

Edited by RoiEtDale

On 1/30/2020 at 3:46 PM, Kenny202 said:

Cleaning out my safe the other day and came across a plastic bag full of what I am led to believe is a black magic spell. 

Contained a lock of hair woven into a circle shape, a tooth, assortment of medals and cards from a temple..... and the creepiest little figurine, like a brass thing with a gargoyle riding a cock. My Mrs freaked right out when she saw it. All of her relatives told her it was very bad.

The back story to this was I split up with a psycho ex around 3 years ago. Had been with her 7 years and we had a child together. Total nutter but she read futures and although I am not a believer in this stuff, I saw first hand she had an uncanny sixth sense. She was always talking about black magic. She was Isaan by the way not Khmer. Anyway, we had a child together. Things with her mental state got worse, she was getting more uncontrollable and violent and I simply couldn't hack it anymore. She actually packed all of her stuff and left of her own will and of course wanted to come back the next day but I took the opportunity and simply kept the gate locked and didn't let her in again. I did, and continue to take care of our son. Anyway, after she had gone madness ensued for 3 months. My house was practically under siege day and night with her out the front screaming and trying to kick the gate in. This all culminated in her breaking into my house and me getting the police involved to remove her. Was one of the only times I ever left the bloody safe open in 5 years of being here and surprisingly as usual she seemed to know. She didn't really take anything of any value, not that I have discovered yet anyway but did take documents etc from my safe, and I am guessing it was at this time she left me this little gift.

My current girlfriend was imploring me to take the kit and myself to the temple to have everything undone whatever that was but I laughed it off and threw everything in the rubbish. Strangely the next day myself and my son fell violently ill, stomach virus of some sort but severe. No one else in the house go it. My girl said it was the bad being purged out of me or some such. Anyone else had any experience with that sort of stuff here? I know they take it very seriously in fact I think there are laws against it.

You are actually right about one thing. You ARE blundering your way around Thailand! Good grief! Don´t put so much into it man. You had a crazy girlfriend, and got a child together with her. You got free and have your child and a new, hopefully better choice of girlfriend. I have my doubts, though, when she also talks about bad and good magic. You would have gotten sick or if you were poisoned anyway. Noting to do with the piece of garbage you throw away.

5 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

You are actually right about one thing. You ARE blundering your way around Thailand! Good grief! Don´t put so much into it man. You had a crazy girlfriend, and got a child together with her. You got free and have your child and a new, hopefully better choice of girlfriend. I have my doubts, though, when she also talks about bad and good magic. You would have gotten sick or if you were poisoned anyway. Noting to do with the piece of garbage you throw away.

I think it’s more about going to the temple to deal with it in order to make his new girlfriend feel better. Thai people can be extremely superstitious everyone who’s been in Thailand more than a day knows that my wife over 23 years is Thai so I totally understand. Sometimes you have to take it seriously even if it’s against your beliefs at least show respect for their beliefs. That’s all it’s about because he said it greatly upset his new girlfriend and she wants to go to the temple to have whatever curse removed. So I recommend do exactly what she wants because trust me it’ll make her feel better and it’ll show her that you care about her beliefs even if she knows you don’t believe in it it’ll at least make her feel better and show her that you care. And, lol, couldn’t hurt. 

1 minute ago, RoiEtDale said:

I think it’s more about going to the temple to deal with it in order to make his new girlfriend feel better. Thai people can be extremely superstitious everyone who’s been in Thailand more than a day knows that my wife over 23 years is Thai so I totally understand. Sometimes you have to take it seriously even if it’s against your beliefs at least show respect for their beliefs. That’s all it’s about because he said it greatly upset his new girlfriend and she wants to go to the temple to have whatever curse removed. So I recommend do exactly what she wants because trust me it’ll make her feel better and it’ll show her that you care about her beliefs even if she knows you don’t believe in it it’ll at least make her feel better and show her that you care. And, lol, couldn’t hurt. 

Sure, I´ve been living in Thailand about 23 years, but only had a wife the last 9 of those. ???? However, you are right, and that is exactly what I would have been doing too. What I posted was an answer based upon my believes to the OP that had already thrown it away. 

3 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

Religion, I don't think so, 97% of Cambodians are Buddhists .  Khmer are simply people from Cambodia and speak the language.  People from Isaan who speak Khmer, are in most cases not really Khmer but they do speak something like the Khmer language.  If someone from Thailand speaks Khmer in Cambodia, they are immediately recognized as speaking Surin-Khmer. 

Not quite.

The Khmer language spoken in Issan is the same as the Northern Khmer language spoken in North Cambodia. Cambodia being a nation of many dialects just as Thailand is.

The Khmer people in Issan have Khmer ancestry. This is mainly due to the border disputes that have been going on in the region for many generations. My wife's grandmother, now deceased, told stories of how her parents lived as Khmer people and even believed they lived in Cambodia. They never had Thai nationality or ID cards. It was when my wife's grandmother was in her 40s that she and others in the village got their ID cards and were finally "Thai", although still Khmer in their minds. Most of these ID cards only have a year, estimated at best, of birth as no one really knew exactly when they were born.

Going to Northern Cambodia they can mingle with the locals and speak more or less the same language. The further they travel south into Cambodia the less they will be understood, as with those Cambodians who also speak the northern Khmer dialect.

"Surin Khmer" is a little inaccurate.  Cambodians in Siem Reap, as an example of when my wife and I visited, refer to the people and the language as "Thai Khmer".

6 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Sure, I´ve been living in Thailand about 23 years, but only had a wife the last 9 of those. ???? However, you are right, and that is exactly what I would have been doing too. What I posted was an answer based upon my believes to the OP that had already thrown it away. 

Oh he did say he threw it away lol. Ok, he’ll find it tomorrow morning or at night sitting on the table next to his bed lol. It’ll magically reappear lol. 

Edited by RoiEtDale
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RoiEtDale said:

I’ve been around Issan for over 10 years now and I’ve never heard of such a thing. I asked my wife who’s from here and she’s heard of punishment poisoning but it’s apparently frowned upon and it’s very rare. You probably just got food poisoning or something or drank the tap water but of course it’s possible. I asked my Issan wife about that and it’s not really common but she said an extremely spiteful woman might do something like that if you really messed up bad maybe. It’s highly frowned upon here to deliberately put something bad in anyone’s food because they take cooking very seriously in Thailand they take a lot of pride in their food and cooking. 

Just in my experience I would find it hard to say generally I have found Thais take cooking very seriously or take pride in their cooking. I have lived with many Thais and whilst some are better cooks than others, and some make a little more effort I think it is one of the worst cuisines I have come across. Everything is done for speed, nothing is ever laboured over or stewed to get natural flavour. Even soups seem to be mostly powdered flavoured stock with a handful of this and that thrown in. Most of the dishes stir fried ...too much sugar, chicken powder, MSG, oil, fish sauce, vinegar....and over the top with chilli so it kills any flavour the food may have once had. 

I am sure they have traditional foods that are much better prepared and cared for, and some of their fast food stir fries ok, but from what I see.... everyday Thai food is prepared for speed and economy. Something that will make you full. I am sure there are exceptions but not the norm from what I see IMHO  

4 hours ago, RoiEtDale said:

Ohhhhhh, I read the whole story to my wife and it might’ve been poisoning and the items you described you found is apparently Thai or possibly Laotian Statanic worshipper stuff. Sounds like you had an interesting ex according to my wife. Was she into that kind of stuff like the a-cult? 

Not into a cult that I knew, but there were many things about her I didn't really know about. She was forever talking about magic though and her tarot readings seemed to be very accurate. As far as I knew she never gambled (though I heard different after we parted), and after her grandmother died she swore she had a dream where she saw lottery numbers on her grandmothers hand. I don't know how much she bet, but must have been at least

10k THB of her own money, which was very unlike her. 2 days later she won 400k THB.

4 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Just in my experience I would find it hard to say generally I have found Thais take cooking very seriously or take pride in their cooking. I have lived with many Thais and whilst some are better cooks than others, and some make a little more effort I think it is one of the worst cuisines I have come across. Everything is done for speed, nothing is ever laboured over or stewed to get natural flavour. Even soups seem to be mostly powdered flavoured stock with a handful of this and that thrown in. Most of the dishes stir fried ...too much sugar, chicken powder, MSG, oil, fish sauce, vinegar....and over the top with chilli so it kills any flavour the food may have once had. 

I am sure they have traditional foods that are much better prepared and cared for, and some of their fast food stir fries ok, but from what I see.... everyday Thai food is prepared for speed and economy. Something that will make you full. I am sure there are exceptions but not the norm from what I see IMHO  

That is funny. The whole point of Thai food is sweet, sour, salt and spice. Stir fry is the whole point of making sure nothing is over cooked. Lovely fresh cooked meat, crunchy vegetables and that hit of the many flavours as you eat.

Just because something is not stewed, just got me thinking of the way my grand mother used to "cook" cabbage, does not mean it has not been cooked with care and attention. Just because they use chilli does not mean the flavours disappear. Maybe they do to you as you are not used to it but as far as I have eaten chilli enhances many of the flavours.

I guess you would call a Sushi chef lazy as he serves you raw fish. "Oh no. He hasn't cooked it. No care or labour. How dare he."

Thanks for the chuckle.

1 hour ago, mick220675 said:

The locals in our village blame everything on ghosts and black magic, for them it is a constant threat. All illness is blamed on black magic and most accidents are caused by ghosts.

It is one of the reasons I like living hear. I like telling people I have seen ghosts and vampires, it makes me happy.

It is the same in every village. I saw a crowd gathered around one day a little bot on the side of the road having a fit, convulsions. Sent for Mor Phee straight away. Didn't even occur to them he was sick. We ended up taking him to the hospital never got the full story of what was wrong with him but I think epilepsy.

Have you seen them come out and bang the pots and pans with a solar / lunar eclipse? They thing the great frog is eating the moon. In moments the eclipse will pass and it is their belief they had scared it away. They are dead serious too god love them ????

I had a friend used to tell his in laws or wife's family he saw a ghost at the back of their house soon after arriving. He reckoned it worked a treat.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Not into a cult that I knew, but there were many things about her I didn't really know about. She was forever talking about magic though and her tarot readings seemed to be very accurate. As far as I knew she never gambled (though I heard different after we parted), and after her grandmother died she swore she had a dream where she saw lottery numbers on her grandmothers hand. I don't know how much she bet, but must have been at least

10k THB of her own money, which was very unlike her. 2 days later she won 400k THB.

Some of it really is weird. 

5 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

That is funny. The whole point of Thai food is sweet, sour, salt and spice. Stir fry is the whole point of making sure nothing is over cooked. Lovely fresh cooked meat, crunchy vegetables and that hit of the many flavours as you eat.

Just because something is not stewed, just got me thinking of the way my grand mother used to "cook" cabbage, does not mean it has not been cooked with care and attention. Just because they use chilli does not mean the flavours disappear. Maybe they do to you as you are not used to it but as far as I have eaten chilli enhances many of the flavours.

I guess you would call a Sushi chef lazy as he serves you raw fish. "Oh no. He hasn't cooked it. No care or labour. How dare he."

Thanks for the chuckle.

You haven't got a clue what you are talking about. Lovely fresh meat lol. Where? Off the back of a pick up, poor pig been hacked to death in the morning?

Edited by Kenny202
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

You haven't got a clue what you are talking about

Oh, but I have. Love the meat in the morning market. Fresh as can be.

You have made things quite clear. You don't like Thai peoples' beliefs, you don't like their food, you imply they are stupid. Above all you can't accept anyone's comments if they disagree with your opinions. Also, you can't seem to accept that you, at least sometimes, can be wrong.

Please continue. It's good for a laugh.

Edited by youreavinalaff

2 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Oh, but I have.

You have made things quite clear. You don't like Thai peoples' beliefs, you don't like their food, you imply they are stupid. Above all you can't accept anyone's comments if they disagree with your opinions. Also, you can't seem to accept that you, at least sometimes, can be wrong.

Please continue. It's good for a laugh.

Trying to stir the pot hoping the sharks circle in? You have no clue. A week a year in Pattaya things may seem exotic, but you certainly have no clue about food or prep. You also have no clue on my respect or lack thereof for Thais. You have simply posted an in factual post, with very little fact or substance trying to dress yourself up as some sort of intellectual. Far too many like you on TV 

1 minute ago, Kenny202 said:

Trying to stir the pot hoping the sharks circle in? You have no clue. A week a year in Pattaya things may seem exotic, but you certainly have no clue about food or prep. You also have no clue on my respect or lack thereof for Thais. You have simply posted an in factual post, with very little fact or substance trying to dress yourself up as some sort of intellectual. Far too many like you on TV 

Pattaya? Why on earth would I be looking at the Issan Forum?

Been in Thailand many years. Issan for the most part. Love Thai food. Even had Thai cooking lessons. Love Issan food even more.

Learnt all I know from the elders in my village and family.

My clue on your ideals is taken directly from your posts. Simple. Not trying to be an intellectual. Just stating facts as I have learnt them. Happy to listen to your facts that may dispel what I have been shown and told.

I know one thing for sure. I would rather learn about Thai food from those that know, Thai people, than someone on a forum who thinks it is all bad just because he does not like it.

Another thing I know. Posters on TV that resort to insults are often the ones who have no clue.

32 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

You are obviously eating in the wrong places

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2020 at 9:05 AM, soalbundy said:

correct, for the Thai family it is a very serious issue and you shouldn't mock their concerns, you should have done as she said and taken it to the temple, it's no skin off your nose, just the same hocus pocus as in the christian rituals only the Thais take their rituals seriously.

can just say that my Thai GF (from BKK) would have said the same, take it to the temple hand have the bad spirit stuff purged

where I come from one would say; there is more between heaven and earth than most other places

and just leave it at that

the Thais take their beliefs seriously - no doubt

• Thanks 1

You know I will tell you a funny story related to this. When I met my wife 24 years ago I was still young and she was very Buddhist. She had her Buddha statues out and she would put water and fruit out for the Buddha statue every day and I made BIG the mistake one day of asking my wife “did he drink it?” Lol. Big mistake lol! But my wife totally loves my sense of humour today and I take it seriously I really do. I have seen miracles happen in life and I do not want bad karma!!!

So one day 24 years ago I was helping my wife at the time girlfriend move her To Buddha statue and OH MY GOD I DROPPED IT TOTALLY BY ACCIDENT HOLH SH! I was so shocked and apologetic! So I went with her to the temple on Sunday after I fixed the crown on the statue’s head and we said our prayers together asked for forgiveness and I made it right with her. 

Now today 24 years later she’s still my wife!!!! So don’t ever dismiss or laugh at her beliefs!!! Trust me on that my wife is very very Thai and she’s a great lady and we’ve been married 23 years now!!! So I can advise you on that lol.

So dig the darn thing out of the rubbish and go to your girlfriend and say to her “honey here it is if you think it’s important that we take it to the temple and pray with the Monk than please let’s go as soon as you want”. If you could successfully do that you’d earn A LOT of points with her!!! She would love the fact that you care about her beliefs. Take it from me I’ve been married to a Thai for 23 years. In the beginning especially those things make a huge difference! You don’t have to convert necessarily just show you care. 

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

can just say that my Thai GF (from BKK) would have said the same, take it to the temple hand have the bad spirit stuff purged

where I come from one would say; there is more between heaven and earth than most other places

and just leave it at that

the Thais take their beliefs seriously - no doubt

Yep I was just trying to tell the op a very similar helpful story above similar in the sense of personal experience being married to a Thai 23 years. 

You know I’m a clown and my wife knows it lol, but what I said above is important. Showing your girlfriend that you care about her beliefs will make a world of difference trust me on that I’ve been married to a Thai woman for 23 years lol. So seriously do what your girlfriend wants with going to the temple to make it better listen to her on stuff like that at least. 

Op, I hope you read my posts. Ever see the movie Meet the Parents lol? Well when I first met my wife 24 years ago and when I dropped that Before Buddha statue that night helping her move it oh man!!!!! I felt like Gaylord M. Focker in that movie Meet the Parents where his future father in law was Robert Dinero!!!! LOL 

I felt horrible that night like when Ben Stiller in that movie knocks over his future father in laws deceased mothers ashes lol. Watch the movie Meet the Parents trust me you’ll laugh anyone regardless of sense of humour type would find that movie hilarious! But I felt like Greg lol AKA Gaylord in that movie Meet the Parents lol. And she is still my wife today so obviously I wanted everything to be perfect lol, but I thought that would screw me lol. 

Nope the fact that I cared so much about her beliefs and I went to the temple with her with the Buddha statue after I fixed the crown with super glue it actually made us closer at the time if anything at that early stage in our relationship 24 years ago. Because the monk blessed the statue and blessed us and made everything ok according to culture.

The monk took it easy on me lol, because he saw I was a young guy at the time and I legitimately cared, so he thought that was nice I think. But the point is it’s important to respect her culture it goes such a long way. But come on duh man lol. I’m trying to help you but if you didn’t already realise that than maybe you’re a little selfish. I’m not judging because I’ve been guilty of it before as well many times without even knowing it that’s probably your issue here so take my advice. It’s funny I know but if you don’t take her beliefs seriously and if she’s a true believer especially an uncultured true believer she might take that as a sign you don’t take her seriously. Sometimes respecting her beliefs is respecting her so be careful.

And I’m changing my screen name to Doctor Phil LMAO 

Magic and superstition is prevalent in every culture. Athletes are generally very superstitious- if they hit a home run they may wear the same socks, the not wash their uniform, try to duplicate every movement and gesture they believed caused them to hit the home run. The sacred Catholic rite of receiving communion is a symbolic rite -drinking the blood and body of Christ, ostensibly to imbue our spirit with Christ like qualities.

Sir James Frazier outlined the laws of sympathetic and contagion magic as follows:

If we analyze the principles of thought on which magic is based, they will probably be found to resolve themselves into two: first, that like produces like, or that an effect resembles its cause; and, second, that things which have once been in contact with each other continue to act on each other at a distance after the physical contact has been severed. The former principle may be called the Law of Similarity, the latter the Law of Contact or Contagion. From the first of these principles, namely the Law of Similarity, the magician infers that he can produce any effect he desires merely by imitating it: from the second he infers that whatever he does to a material object will affect equally the person with whom the object was once in contact, whether it formed part of his body or not.[1

yY

You don’t have to look far to see magic and superstition is alive and well in all cultures. 

For those in doubt that belief in primitive superstition is ridiculous- doctors still don’t really understand why placebos work, but they do.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2020 at 11:27 AM, emptypockets said:

Caution:

This thread contains traces of nuts.

indeed.  many yrs ago an old gf put something that looked like a cracked egg, wooden sticks, and other odd sh*t and a candle on a plate in the top floor or the shop house we lived in. VooDoo K-min style.

Now a days I do like to surprise scare my current gf, sneak up on her - - - BOO! She's too young for a heart attack so it's all OK. And she's scared to death of the dark.

whatever you like to do... just beware 'whistling' inside the house

if you are helping her carry stuff (especially the food) into the temple

- don't put it down on the floor as is - especially if its intended for the Monk is eating it soon. I made that mistake, ways back ion 2011

- and still she won't let me forget it

(even though my 'excuse' was that I on ly put the food down, to welcome wai the monk!)

If you think your ideas are better than hers...

I found there is no Right way nor Wrong way - just Her Way