Vietnam puts the kibosh on foreigners

I now find out that 1st July everyone who isn't married, running a business etc. will be limited to tourist visa 30 days , then a border run,...period.

I am still trying to find out of a decent visa agent in Saigon to get my last 90 day tourist visa before then...from USA. Before I decide what to do next. Don't know if I have it in me at my age to take an entire day every month to through that stuff, and of course the immigration officials at the borders will just love the new revenue stream. Then will keep following Thailand and then limit those to 6 a year? Party is over I guess.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is true, its no longer an alternative...three months was bad enough but having to leave and pay every month is madness. A few reports coming out of Manila and Angeles that PI is clamping down on being able to do tourist visas for three years, now requiring people to be married or SRRV

4 minutes ago, baansgr said:

If this is true, its no longer an alternative...three months was bad enough but having to leave and pay every month is madness. A few reports coming out of Manila and Angeles that PI is clamping down on being able to do tourist visas for three years, now requiring people to be married or SRRV

Thailand clamps down on visa requirements

foreigners flee to nearby countries

nearby countries clamp down on visas

foreigners ______ ??

Malaysia has a well established long term visa (MM2H), financial requirements are much higher than Thailand but it's there for anybody who's looking at a place to stay long term in the region... 

Applicants are required to show they have sufficient financial resources to live in Malaysia without seeking employment or other assistance from the government.

Applicants under 50 are required to show liquid assets above RM500,000 and a monthly income of over RM10,000 (equivalent).

Applicants over 50 have to show liquid assets over RM350,000,and a monthly income over RM10,000.

Acceptable liquid assets for people over 50 include cash in the bank, bonds and securities.

Upon Approval – Fixed Deposit Requirements For MM2H

All applicants have to make a Fixed Deposit based on their age, as follows:

i) MM2H Applicants aged below 50 years old:

• Must place a Fixed Deposit in a bank account in Malaysia of RM300,000
  • Can withdraw up to RM150,000 for the purchase of house, medical insurance or children’s education expenses after the deposit has been placed for one year
  • Applicants can use their car purchase grant to withdraw part of their Fixed Deposit after two years.
  • Must maintain a minimum balance of RM150,000 from second year onwards and throughout stay in Malaysia under this programme.

ii) MM2H Applicants aged 50 years and above:

• Must place a Fixed Deposit in a bank account in Malaysia of RM150,000
  • Can withdraw up to RM50,000 of the fixed deposit after one year to purchase of house, medical insurance or children’s education expenses.
  • Applicants can use their car purchase grant to withdraw part of their Fixed Deposit after two years.
  • Must maintain a minimum balance of RM100,000 throughout their stay in Malaysia under this programme.

[1,000 MYR is approx 7,500 THB so for >50 you need to be able to show worldwide liquid assets of 2.625 Million Baht & 75,000 pm income, once visa has been approved you need to transfer 1.125 Million Baht into a Fixed Deposit account in Malaysia]

I had not considered Vietnam anyway. HCM has the worst air in SE Asia. Worse than Bangkok. And more congestion, if that is possible. And I find alot of the people to be heavy hearted, and not particularly nice. And who wants to live under a commie government, anyway?

Consider Georgia, the country not the state. IF your primary interest is not chasing skirts because that doesn't work well here. Very inexpensive, good food, nice apartments at good rates and 1 year visa free, and repeatable. Also very inexpensive flight options to neighboring countries, like round-trip to Santorini for under $100, total! 

4 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Malaysia has a well established long term visa (MM2H), financial requirements are much higher than Thailand but it's there for anybody who's looking at a place to stay long term in the region... 

Applicants are required to show they have sufficient financial resources to live in Malaysia without seeking employment or other assistance from the government.

Applicants under 50 are required to show liquid assets above RM500,000 and a monthly income of over RM10,000 (equivalent).

Applicants over 50 have to show liquid assets over RM350,000,and a monthly income over RM10,000.

Acceptable liquid assets for people over 50 include cash in the bank, bonds and securities.

Upon Approval – Fixed Deposit Requirements For MM2H

All applicants have to make a Fixed Deposit based on their age, as follows:

i) MM2H Applicants aged below 50 years old:

• Must place a Fixed Deposit in a bank account in Malaysia of RM300,000
  • Can withdraw up to RM150,000 for the purchase of house, medical insurance or children’s education expenses after the deposit has been placed for one year
  • Must maintain a minimum balance of RM150,000 from second year onwards and throughout stay in Malaysia under this programme.

ii) MM2H Applicants aged 50 years and above:

• Must place a Fixed Deposit in a bank account in Malaysia of RM150,000
  • Can withdraw up to RM50,000 of the fixed deposit after one year to purchase of house, medical insurance or children’s education expenses.
  • Must maintain a minimum balance of RM100,000 throughout their stay in Malaysia under this programme.

[1,000 MYR is approx 7,500 THB so for >50 you need to be able to show worldwide liquid assets of 2.625 Million Baht & 75,000 pm income, once visa has been approved you need to transfer 1.125 Million Baht into a Fixed Deposit account in Malaysia]

I know a lot of Malaysians and most feel that the requirements are too low. The consensus is that they welcome foreigners but only those who can afford a comfortable lifestyle. They don’t want poor foreigners coming to live, competing for middle to lower class accommodation and driving rental prices up and not benefiting the economy. 

2 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

no , thailand does the same thing.  rif raf to cambodia

to be clear seems thais started this.   now the other countries following suit.  these countries want well heeled foreigners who spend alot of money in 30 days then leave.  they dont want poor backpackers eating street food for ten baht

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And I find alot of the people to be heavy hearted, and not particularly nice

I found the people very friendly. Ok, less fake smile than in Thailand.

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And who wants to live under a commie government, anyway?

No difference in life quality compared with the ("elected") military government in Thailand. 

Archived