Vietnam puts the kibosh on foreigners

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are plenty of backpackers here. Its not the issue. Maybe more it's all the teachers working on tourist visas? I have to believe they just don't want single men or women retiring here. A lot of people who bought condos are going to regretting their decision. I sold my condo in Thailand 5 years ago. Maybe saw the writing on the wall. Been in Asia twenty years and a lot of stuff still doesn't make any sense to me.

It’s easy to live in Cambodia long term if you’re over 55. Some good places to live there.

Also easy to live in India long term. Don’t listen to people that say all of India is horrible.

There are some really nice places in India, and nice and tropical in almost the whole country except for the extreme north. 

I’ve got India on my mind lately. 

36 minutes ago, SteveK said:

It's all trickling down from China, who are becoming very anti-west in their sentiments and rhetoric. Most, if not all SEA nations kowtow to Mr Jinping any chance they can get.

Nonsense, Vietnam and China are not really good friends, the Vietnamese are very angry that China is claiming all or most of the South China sea.

https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/articles/28502/as-china-vietnam-relations-deteriorate-hanoi-mulls-closer-ties-with-the-u-s

25 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Malaysia may be welcoming to foreigners, but man the place is just so dull. 6 months and I would be looking for a balcony to fall off of.

Quite right. Not a good country for sexpats and alcoholics. However, quite good for those that like to explore nature, keen golfers and other outdoor activities and street food lovers. Also, excellent food in restaurants. 

5 hours ago, YetAnother said:

pity, vietnam was going to be my bolt country; chatter has it cambodia may follow, next for me mexico

I take it your quite proficient with a gun.................:coffee1:

*** 29 percent of all U.S. citizens who perished overseas died in Mexico, according to the U.S. Department of State.Feb 19, 2019.

6 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Quite right. Not a good country for sexpats and alcoholics. However, quite good for those that like to explore nature, keen golfers and other outdoor activities and street food lovers. Also, excellent food in restaurants. 

I agree. Even small Malaysian towns have a huge variety of food on offer due to the multicultural nature of the country. Still, most people in Malaysia's idea of a great evening is spent at a family member's house with a hot pot containing sea cucumber and a very expensive 330ml can of Malaysian-brewed Heineken. Unless you get married there, it's boring, but the Malaysian people are outrageously friendly and welcoming compared to Thailand. Absolutely not my cup of tea, but I can understand how some may prefer it. I suspect that for many ex-pats, having the local women being off-limits would put a serious spanner in the works, sex-pat or not.

Not everyone who wants to spend some time with a local girl is a sex-pat. Sounds pretty normal to me.

35 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Malaysia may be welcoming to foreigners, but man the place is just so dull. 6 months and I would be looking for a balcony to fall off of.

I like visiting Malaysia. It has a better infrastructure, is less crowded than Thailand and culturally not as insular, but I think you might be right about living there could be boring.

42 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

to be clear seems thais started this.   now the other countries following suit.  these countries want well heeled foreigners who spend alot of money in 30 days then leave.  they dont want poor backpackers eating street food for ten baht

What kind of nonsense.... Thirty days is fine for a backpacker. 

It's certainly not backpackers who are being targeted. 

""Malaysia may be welcoming to foreigners, but man the place is just so dull. 6 months and I would be looking for a balcony to fall off of.""

I think this sentence hits the nail on the head. We have reports of guys in Siem Reap, Luangprabang, Cebu, Malaysia..and maybe the visa situations might be easier (for now) than Thailand, but after a little while they must be so boring, whereas Thailand has an abundance of stuff to do on a daily basis, even if you are on a budget.

So why give yourself boredom for the rest of your life over a few visa/extension hassles in Thailand, which are usually overcome with a bit of research and ingenuity. Just my take on things.

PS. I have visited the aforementioned places many times, and as a holiday destination they are excellent, but for long term?.

PPS. Also I see Central American countries are mentioned, but this would probably only be practical for US/Canadian citizens.

Doubt if practical for most Aussie, Kiwi, UK or European gentlemen.

My guess is that they are not cracking down on Farangs. Though we might feel we are the centre of attention.

They are trying to stop a Chinese takeover. Same in Philippines. The people in both are complaining a lot about the Chinese invasion. Probably Cambodia will tighten up. Thailand is already a tight as a gnats ch*ff.

9 minutes ago, Cutty Shark said:

If you are serious about trying Belize, I'd appreciate if you'd keep us posted.  I find the place interesting, from what little I know of it.

I visited Belize a few years ago because a very good friend was working in Belize city for a UK engineering company. Great weather, amazing food, good beer (and rum) and pretty cheap all round but definitely a bit more edgy than Thailand, when I live somewhere I want to feel safe, as in physically safe, and I am sure Belize is safer than a lot of places but didn't feel it.

Girls ranged from slim to very overweight, and from chalk-white to jet black in complexion.

6 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

Thailand clamps down on visa requirements

foreigners flee to nearby countries

nearby countries clamp down on visas

foreigners ______ ??

Idiots. Thailand 90 day reports on the PC and one trip to immigration once a year 

Doesn't get easier than that 

7 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

there's always Cambodia

and if that goes down could try Bangladesh, i hear the women are a bit ropey there though ????

The women have better moustaches than their mothers!!

????

Just now, mike787 said:

I guess Vietnam is OFF the list of options

Not just Vietnam - it seems many countries in the vicinity are tightening their visa policies. Pretty obvious why. Look at what Trump is doing to China, and as much as you deny it, China has it's claws very much embedded into SEA nations.

2 hours ago, DavidB4 said:

Consider Georgia, the country not the state. IF your primary interest is not chasing skirts because that doesn't work well here. Very inexpensive, good food, nice apartments at good rates and 1 year visa free, and repeatable. Also very inexpensive flight options to neighboring countries, like round-trip to Santorini for under $100, total! 

And absolutely horrible air pollution in the capital: https://www.georgianjournal.ge/society/34468-tbilisi-among-dangerous-cities-in-europe-where-air-pollution-is-high.html

I love georgia but that one alone is a dealbreaker, batumi doesn't really fancy me ???? 

Not sure about your chasing skirt comment tho, it's absoluely full with hookers from thailand, russia, turkey and co ????

7 hours ago, baansgr said:

If this is true, its no longer an alternative...three months was bad enough but having to leave and pay every month is madness. A few reports coming out of Manila and Angeles that PI is clamping down on being able to do tourist visas for three years, now requiring people to be married or SRRV

I don't doubt you but do you have any background on those reports about the Philippines, like where can I see them?  I ask because I am heading there in a month.

Here is the key VN immigration law amendment, among many, passed last November and effective July 1:

13. Amendments to Clause 1 Article 31 as follows:
“1. A foreigner making entry without having a valid temporary resident card or permanent residence card shall be issued with a temporary residence certificate at the border checkpoint valid within definite period as follows:
a) Period of temporary residence granted shall equal his/her visa validity; in case his/her visa is encoded as DL and valid for more than 30 days, he/she shall be granted temporary residence for 30 days and shall be considered for extension of temporary residence as specified in Article 35 of this Law;

Yup, it appears to say that even if you have a 90-day tourist (DL) visa, you can only stay 30 days and must get out. But you can come back.

Taken as it is, it sure seems like long-term "tourists" are not welcome any more. However, the government is keen on getting rid of "tourists" who, for example, teach English without a work permit. There was another news article that went further:

https://vietnamnet.vn/en/society/police-profile-foreign-criminals-entering-vietnam-601182.html

All that said, we don't know a lot more than that. Several legal firms have said they expect more "clarifications" and "guidance" before the July 1 effective date.

23 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I don't doubt you but do you have any background on those reports about the Philippines, like where can I see them?  I ask because I am heading there in a month.

its mentioned on a lot of expat vlogs: 

Here from newssource: https://www.silent-gardens.com/blog/philippines-9a-tourist-visa-stricter-enforcement-of-regulations/

Unfortunately the Bureau of Immigration (BI) found that more and more foreigners come to work here without the correct employment visa (9G). This is why holders of a tourist visa are intensely screened  when arriving in ports and airports. Also when applying for an extension they often must face a huge series of questions and additional inquiries.

Their visa system gets abused like thailands, obviously they will crack down - this will happen everywhere in the world. 

I was warning about vietnam for a while here, got only laughed at ... well, now see yourself.

All these SEA countries - except glorious Singapore are super protectionist, because they are braindead. Foreigners have far less rights in PH/VN than in thailand, and it's only going downhill from here... think twice before you go their long term without an SRRV visa.

3 hours ago, hanssna said:

So for many, eventually it's back to Thailand again.. or go home. 

Never left Thailand in nearly 40 years, apart from short trips overseas and a work spell of 5 years in Taiwan, and no intention whatsoever to leave now. For me Thailand is still a great place to be, notwithstanding all the changes that have occurred in that time. 

23 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

All these SEA countries - except glorious Singapore are super protectionist, because they are braindead. Foreigners have far less rights in PH/VN than in thailand, and it's only going downhill from here... think twice before you go their long term without an SRRV visa.

I don’t understand why you say that these countries are brain dead. Because they won’t allow certain categories of foreigners to stay long term? It is much much harder for Asians to live in western countries than it is for westerners to stay in Asia. So are western countries also brain dead by your reasoning?

Archived