Vietnam puts the kibosh on foreigners

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Yes, but with hoards of Chinese tourists , it would no longer be so clean pristine and empty beaches .

It was the motorbikes that got me though, with the constant horn beeping , and I mean constant . 

Many drove down the road using their horns like a siren 

Maybe its mostly inside ur head? I saw the guy driving in Danang On his bike street after street he was streaming and hardly any traffic mostly big roads and huge pavements.. Didn't hear much beeping either. I don't like empty beaches but i like clean ocean water..Anyway why u always come up with negativism? Is Chiang Mai still that much better?? Infact Chiang mai roads look way busier and noisier So why dont u whine about that? And lets compare air quality these 2 towns !

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yeah I already knew that u and max and thomas would desperately try to spin it into a negative direction.. just as what u tried with Vietnam visa extensions.
Danang chosen by Time magazine as best beach and with cleanest water. But maybe someone believes ur stuff.

You clearly have your opinion of us, just because you are wearing pink colored glasses, i am not sure why you think Vietnam is that much better than thailand, expat.com and co are full with not-so-nice stories.

I recommend Phu Quoc instead, and did so multiple times on here. 

https://www.flightnetwork.com/worlds-best-beaches/top-50-asian-beaches/bai-khem-beach/

Bai Khem beach is decent.

Phu Quoc while belonging to Vietnam is a special administrative zone.

EVERYONE, no matter what passport he has get's a 30 day visa exempt there, there's nearly no restrictions - it has different Visa rules compared to the rest of Vietnam. 

Some laws are still the same tho as Address reporting, same as tm30 and worldwide taxation but it's much more relaxed for visa runs as it's solely a tourist place. 

There's a bunch of people making visa runs from there to Cambodia: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=776808

59 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Maybe its mostly inside ur head? I saw the guy driving in Danang On his bike street after street he was streaming and hardly any traffic mostly big roads and huge pavements.. Didn't hear much beeping either. I don't like empty beaches but i like clean ocean water..Anyway why u always come up with negativism? Is Chiang Mai still that much better?? Infact Chiang mai roads look way busier and noisier So why dont u whine about that? And lets compare air quality these 2 towns !

Yes, you stayed in the new quiet  area by the beach , I stayed in the older busy city .

OK, lets ignore the negatives and concentrate on the positives .

I wont "Whine" about anything anymore

Danang is a paradise and much better than Chaing mai  .

You are in the better place 

On 3/1/2020 at 11:27 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

and worldwide taxation but it's much more relaxed for visa runs as it's solely a tourist place. 

How do they enforce the worldwide taxation? (Note, it is found in Bali as well, but I have yet to learn how it is enforced?)

On 1/31/2020 at 4:27 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Here is the key VN immigration law amendment, among many, passed last November and effective July 1:

On 1/31/2020 at 4:27 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

13. Amendments to Clause 1 Article 31 as follows:
“1. A foreigner making entry without having a valid temporary resident card or permanent residence card shall be issued with a temporary residence certificate at the border checkpoint valid within definite period as follows:
a) Period of temporary residence granted shall equal his/her visa validity; in case his/her visa is encoded as DL and valid for more than 30 days, he/she shall be granted temporary residence for 30 days and shall be considered for extension of temporary residence as specified in Article 35 of this Law;

Yup, it appears to say that even if you have a 90-day tourist (DL) visa, you can only stay 30 days and must get out. But you can come back

What does Article 35 say? To me an "extension of temporary residence" means and extension, NOT go out and come back again.

On 3/3/2020 at 8:01 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

How do they enforce the worldwide taxation? (Note, it is found in Bali as well, but I have yet to learn how it is enforced?)

How does germany enforce taxes? The USA? 

They lock you away if you don't pay, simple. And Vietnam is notorious for this.

Vietnam is part of the global OECD automatic tax exchange, and other countries simply report your income and bank accounts to them: https://www.oecd.org/tax/exchange-of-tax-information/viet-nam-and-palau-join-the-global-forum-on-tax-transparency.htm

10 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

What does Article 35 say? To me an "extension of temporary residence" means and extension, NOT go out and come back again.

I'm afraid it's not an extension in the way we think of it. Viet immigration officer explained it to Eli the Bike Guy. A good source of info on visas, and everything else in Da Nang.

Here's his 7 minute video.  

Vietnam tourist visas -- in-country extensions coming

On 3/5/2020 at 11:02 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I'm afraid it's not an extension in the way we think of it. Viet immigration officer explained it to Eli the Bike Guy. A good source of info on visas, and everything else in Da Nang.

Here's his 7 minute video.  

Vietnam tourist visas -- in-country extensions coming

Hmmmmm

It's just that when the entry was for 3 months a lot of expats were complaining about having to go out every time and re-enter for another 3 months, but when I went to Immigration in Ha Noi they told me that I could get and extension to the 3 months for $10.

Seems odd that they would cancel that, especially for married guys living with their family.

Archived