Vietnam puts the kibosh on foreigners

I'll be dead soon so who gives a rats what where and why this is happening. There is one thing for sure there will be endless speculative and highly imaginative, uninformed TV folks waxing lyrical and prophetically about what is happening and in such spoutings prophesying to 'know' exactly what the movements of foreign governments are without the slightest bit of knowledge as to what is in the minds of policy and law makers.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Accidental Tourist said:

So there goes Vietnam. Cambodia is also tighten the rules, maybe no choice there in the future as well.

I still have a place in Egypt where I been working years before. Every 3 months now need to apply for a new resident card (same as in Malaysia). Good thing there is no hassle, no need to leave the country and everything is halve the price compare to Thailand.

NICE!  Congrats to you. Easy life.  The expats especially older are going to suffer even more as the immigration loops close and become far more restrictive/expensive.  Definitely, I have seen Asian governments as echoed here, becoming more and more difficult. 

15 minutes ago, impulse said:

On that point, if there was a sudden lockdown on all international travel, I suspect that most old world and former commonwealth countries would see a net boost in tourist $$$, with the loss in foreign tourists more than offset by the gain in domestic tourism since their citizens would no longer be allowed to spend their holiday money in SEA. 

I'm pretty sure tourism, as a source of GDP, creates a trade imbalance favoring SEA, and not the developed countries.  And the harder each SEA nation makes things for tourists, the smaller their trade surplus becomes.

I beg to differ. Domestic tourism within Europe will in no way offset the loss from Asian tourism. Hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions, factory and shopping outlets, luxury shops such as LV, Hermes, souvenir shops, coach companies, cruise companies, tour guides, hotel porters and a whole host of supporting industries depend heavily on tourism from Asia. The main non Asian market for European tourism is from Russia. 

24 minutes ago, Accidental Tourist said:

So there goes Vietnam. Cambodia is also tighten the rules, maybe no choice there in the future as well.

I still have a place in Egypt where I been working years before. Every 3 months now need to apply for a new resident card (same as in Malaysia). Good thing there is no hassle, no need to leave the country and everything is halve the price compare to Thailand.

I believe you are mistaken about the resident card with regards to Malaysia. I know quite a few expats on the MM2H scheme and no one has ever mentioned this. 

26 minutes ago, Accidental Tourist said:

Has anything major changed with the retirement visa for Cambodia? If so what? 

1 hour ago, mike787 said:

Whoever thought we would be living a life of a fugitive: border running, paying agents, negotiating, bartering, risking, catching flights, reporting every 90 days like a pedophile to his probation officer, on and on in our supposid golden years...all for what?  A vagina/love, some sun/fun, cheaper life...really?  Goes to show, there is always a price to pay; you only have to choose what the price is, and how your going to pay, but YOU will pay - somehow...

Post of the day. Says it all.

In our golden years we want some security and are not up for doing border runs. Just want somewhere to live in peace without hassle.

So Thailand is beginning to look like our best option after all. At least they let us have a retirement visa.

12 hours ago, elephant45 said:

I've got an idea! they can come visa free to my country get free housing, medical, food and anything else they need. Sounds reasonable.

They are already doing that but you've probably already noticed.

Time for folks in the West to stop looking for a cheaper alternative and find a way to stay in their homeland because eventually that's the only place they'll be welcomed.

6 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

They are already doing that but you've probably already noticed.

Time for folks in the West to stop looking for a cheaper alternative and find a way to stay in their homeland because eventually that's the only place they'll be welcomed.

There are still options but sure home countries can be a Plan D. 

6 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Quite right. Not a good country for sexpats and alcoholics. However, quite good for those that like to explore nature, keen golfers and other outdoor activities and street food lovers. Also, excellent food in restaurants. 

fabulous symphony as well.

12 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

Thailand clamps down on visa requirements

foreigners flee to nearby countries

nearby countries clamp down on visas

foreigners ______ ??

"Thailand clamps down on visa requirements"

Which visa requirements are you thinking of? 

42 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I beg to differ. Domestic tourism within Europe will in no way offset the loss from Asian tourism. Hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions, factory and shopping outlets, luxury shops such as LV, Hermes, souvenir shops, coach companies, cruise companies, tour guides, hotel porters and a whole host of supporting industries depend heavily on tourism from Asia. The main non Asian market for European tourism is from Russia. 

They won't even let them off the cruise ship in Italy

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/6000-passengers-stuck-on-cruise-ship-in-italy-over-coronavirus-fears/ar-BBZtsi8?li=BBnb7Kz

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I honestly don't know.  Who spends more, Brits on holiday in SEA, or SEA tourists in the UK?  Then, what percentage is that of GDP?  My suspicion is that the old world and former commonwealth countries would lose a tiny percentage of GDP if SEA tourists stayed away.  While the SEA countries would lose a significant percentage of their GDP if it went the other way.

Of course, I'm always open to being swayed by numbers.  More open when those numbers come from credible sources.  Which rules out TAT statistics...

To be clear, some segments would be devastated, as you mentioned.  But the overall economy?  I think SEA is a lot more vulnerable.

10 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

I found the people very friendly. Ok, less fake smile than in Thailand.

No difference in life quality compared with the ("elected") military government in Thailand. 

Did you always find the Thai smile fake, or did you initially find it genuine and believe

Thais to be friendly?

Perhaps if you spent a lot in Vietnam, the allure would diminish over time.

As for the government, the current generals running things have documented failings,

but the last few "fairly elected" governments weren't much better.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I honestly don't know.  Who spends more, Brits on holiday in SEA, or SEA tourists in the UK?  Then, what percentage is that of GDP?  My suspicion is that the old world and former commonwealth countries would lose a tiny percentage of GDP if SEA tourists stayed away.  While the SEA countries would lose a significant percentage of their GDP if it went the other way.

Of course, I'm always open to being swayed by numbers.  More open when those numbers come from credible sources.  Which rules out TAT statistics...

To be clear, some segments would be devastated, as you mentioned.  But the overall economy?  I think SEA is a lot more vulnerable.

As to who spends more, this varies greatly on a number of factors. Western tourists to Asia tends to be FIT’s so the individual spending is fairly high. A lot of Asians still travel in groups (there are many reasons for that). Within any group, a large percentage does not spend that much as a lot of the services are already paid for and enjoy group discounts (accommodation, meals, entrances). But then, there are usually a few individuals who spend a lot on shopping. Bags, watches, diamonds etc. 

I think if you take Europe and Uk as a whole and compare this to Asia (even excluding Japan which is a large market), Asian tourists will spend more, in absolute terms, over a year. By spend, I am excluding flights but including meals and accommodation. And in this group, the Chinese are the biggest segment. 

42 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

Did you always find the Thai smile fake, or did you initially find it genuine and believe

Thais to be friendly?

Here in the north the smile comes from the heart, in Phuket and Bangkok not so much. 

25 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

As to who spends more, this varies greatly on a number of factors. Western tourists to Asia tends to be FIT’s so the individual spending is fairly high. A lot of Asians still travel in groups (there are many reasons for that). Within any group, a large percentage does not spend that much as a lot of the services are already paid for and enjoy group discounts (accommodation, meals, entrances). But then, there are usually a few individuals who spend a lot on shopping. Bags, watches, diamonds etc. 

I think if you take Europe and Uk as a whole and compare this to Asia (even excluding Japan which is a large market), Asian tourists will spend more, in absolute terms, over a year. By spend, I am excluding flights but including meals and accommodation. And in this group, the Chinese are the biggest segment. 

https://www.themds.com/companies/chasing-the-tourist-in-europe-where-do-they-come-from-and-how-much-do-they-spend.html

Overall, the European Union received 1,048 million tourists in 2017, taking into account also domestic tourism, which represents about 86% of overnight stays. European visitors spend, on average, 73 euros per night on the continent and sleep an average of 4.6 nights in the country.

86% of european tourists are domestic aka from the EU. 

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Tourism_statistics_-_expenditure#German_tourists_accounted_for_26.25_of_EU_tourism_expenditure

German tourists accounted for 26% of EU tourism expenditure

So nearly 90% of tourism in the EU is domestic, and germans are 26% of all money spent.

Who would have thought? Seems we aren't so broke after all even tho some here might suggest that.

Other big spenders are France and the UK - makes sense.

After locals, most tourist in the Union come from American, that represent 2.5% of the total, and from Asian countries, except China, Japan and South Korea, which account for 2.3% of arrivals. Switzerland takes the bronze, representing 1.4% of tourists in the Union, with an average of 107 euros of spending per night and 6.5 overnight stays per trip.

The non domestic biggest part is from America, so thanks for that fellow fallangs.

The United Kingdom is the only large market in the Union that receives more non-EU tourists than European tourists. Specifically, 6.9% come from Asian countries (except China, Japan and South Korea) and 5.4% from the United States. Another 4.6% comes from France, with an average expenditure of 131 euros per night. Spain is also the country preferred by the British, accounting for 11.5% of overnight stays. Followed by France and the United States. In addition, only 36.2% of UK residents choose to stay in their country.

The only country who will suffer a bit is the UK it seems.

Seems this whole EU one market thing kinda does work - who would have thought?

I will add this. I saw a video of a kind of newbie expat that located an agency there that claims they can take care of his 30 visa runs for him. He seems to think that's going to be a solution. Well, I'm skeptical. So far there is no indication that Vietnam will be offering legal in country extensions as does the Philippines to take care of all those pesky 30 day visa runs without travel. So what will that agency be doing exactly? Corruption with immigration? Fake stamps? Physically and presumably illegally  taking passports over the border for the expats? Perhaps that will become a big thing there that people will get away with for a long time, or not. But I wouldn't base a "retirement" on it.

A friend has been living in VN for some years.  I recall him telling me after the 9/11 attacks the VN gov't pretty much got rid of all Islami immigrants, stance was "there is no reason for you to be here."  It seems they can be pretty efficient when it comes to rounding up foreigners and giving them the bum's rush. 

While visiting the country I witnessed an incident with the police and an old woman street vendor: along with a few other things I saw there I have a pretty sour view of the place.

I was interested in setting up (somewhat) permanently in Malaysia around 2006, when the retirement visa was called "silver hair."  100,000RM (app US$3,000 at the time) was way more than my budget. 

I really liked Penang, stayed in the old Chinese area near the quays.  When the town was declared a World Heritage site it completely changed, and not for the better IMO.

13 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I know a lot of Malaysians and most feel that the requirements are too low. The consensus is that they welcome foreigners but only those who can afford a comfortable lifestyle. They don’t want poor foreigners coming to live, competing for middle to lower class accommodation and driving rental prices up and not benefiting the economy. 

They can keep it. I'd sooner stay home than spend time there. Nice beaches and all that; just find em hard going and aggressive. As for that hacking 'n spitting! ????

I don't understand the insecurity and nervous tics... and the frantic search for alternative destinations. 

What's wrong with returning to and staying in your own countries? Why is this not a viable alternative? Everybody seems to have this anywhere-except-home mentality. 

2 minutes ago, mvdf said:

I don't understand the insecurity and nervous tics... and the frantic search for alternative destinations. 

What's wrong with returning to and staying in your own countries? Why is this not a viable alternative? Everybody seems to have this anywhere-except-home mentality. 

You are welcome to go freeze your ass off in expensive England and put up with women who have an attitude problem a mile wide. That is if you do not die of boredom first.

You don't understand the insecurity? Totally unpredictable ever changing visa regs, no pathway to citizenship. Fine, if you wanna be a nomad, but most of us want some security and stability without hassle.

7 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

Sure about that? My country is the polar opposite, seemingly intent on making anyone but the natives comfortable. White, straight males are bottom of the heap.

As they have become moneyed and world wise - and not wanting their streets filled with Pattaya-esque, wife-beater wearing whiteys - these places would prefer well off folk to visit for a little while, drop their money and go. Folk retired in Thailand thinking they're immune may want to keep an eye out... they're coming for you too! 

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Laos has no formal program but there are apparently workarounds. So I'd say for the more adventurous that want to live in Laos (I've been and don't). 

Singapore is not a retirement destination. It's for working expats.

Indonesia, haven't kept up. It used to be difficult though. 

Brunei, off my radar.

If people get bored in Cambodia they'll be bored in Laos. Nightlife virtually non existent.

The pace is just too slow and I would die of boredom, Isaarn is difficult enough but I have big house and all the creature comforts.

I believe reports on Vietnam are a bit knee jerk, I am sure there are workarounds.

14 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

I don't doubt you but do you have any background on those reports about the Philippines, like where can I see them?  I ask because I am heading there in a month.

I'm not sure but there may be some confusion around the difference between a "Visa on Arrival" (Which guys from China & India etc... get & is what I understand the 9a Visa to be) & "Visa Exempt" (The "Stamp" us guys from UK, US, EU etc... get for turning up) 

The only thing I've heard/read (granted I've not been keeping an eye on things as much since splitting up with my Filipina) is they're cracking down on extending Visa on Arrival haven't seen or heard anything about them cracking down on extending Visa Exempt.

Not saying I'm right & even if I am, they may well move on to cracking down on Visa Exempt next, but I don't believe you need to worry just yet...

Having said that, If I wanted to live in the Philippines I'd just go for the SRRV.

Archived