Lawn Problems

Hi all,

Recently my lawn has been fighting a losing battle with some kind of weed, we've been in this house over ten years and this is the first time I've seen this...if some kind soul can identify what this plant is and how to get rid of it I'd be grateful.

The dark green is the 'weed'

20200130_080243 (Medium).jpg

20200130_083434 (Medium).jpg

20200130_083441 (Medium).jpg

20200130_083454 (Medium).jpg

20200130_083558 (Medium).jpg

20200130_083605 (Medium).jpg

I don't have the Latin name for it but I do have an Anglo-Saxon one.

The smallest bit not removed will root and regrow. On top of that it seeds itself out relentlessly. I'm guessing you'll have to use a lawn weed killer, but will only have partial success. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cooked said:

I don't have the Latin name for it but I do have an Anglo-Saxon one.

The smallest bit not removed will root and regrow. On top of that it seeds itself out relentlessly. I'm guessing you'll have to use a lawn weed killer, but will only have partial success. 

Thanks for the reply, I've had a go at pulling it out by hand and it's impossible to get all the root out...I'll ask at a few of the garden shops to see if they have any lawn weed killer...do you happen to know of one available here which is effective against this?

23 hours ago, Neilly said:

Thanks for the reply, I've had a go at pulling it out by hand and it's impossible to get all the root out...I'll ask at a few of the garden shops to see if they have any lawn weed killer...do you happen to know of one available here which is effective against this?

I hesitate to recommend as this plant is similar to one I dealt with back home (cerastium) which was difficult to get rid of - narrow, hairy leaves, with a will to live. If I remember rightly, advice was to give fertiliser, WATER and mow regularly. Difficult in Thailand. 

I haven't seen a weedkiller specific to lawn care in Thailand, but there are weed killers for use in rice, also a grass, cultivation 2, 4,D was one ingredient. 

The question gets asked regularly on Thaivisa and I don't think it has been answered yet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cooked said:

The question gets asked regularly on Thaivisa and I don't think it has been answered yet.

And I've been asking around here with similar results. We haven't had any decent amount of rain since mid Dec and that about corresponds to when this uninvited guest appeared. I had another go at pulling some out today, after about an hour I had a 5gal bucket full, but had only done a few sq feet...we know a couple who take care of the gardens in a couple of resorts...think it may be time to call them in and hand over some cash.

Thanks again for your replies,

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a really nice lawn and have a budget to do it right, I recommend that you start over.  Use a non-selective herbicide to kill everything that is there, water and wait for resprouting and treat again.  Then invest in good soil preparation, with soil testing and prescription amendments based on actual mineral deficiencies found. Incorporate (roto-till) the recommended amendments plus copious organic matter (at least a 2"-3" layer), high quality compost if you can find it. Lay new sod and continually be diligent in managing fertility, water and weed control. 

https://www.lawn-care-academy.com/organic-lawn-fertilizer.html

https://www.thespruce.com/organic-weed-control-2153150

• Like 1

Not wanting to hijack this topic, but I have a nice lwan with Malay grass.

One section has large patches of a very tiny grass, and the patches are increasing in size.

The grass looks a bit like the picture but it is much more dense.

Any idea how to get rid of that?

image.png.8200fd7dc817c4a4eea7cddaefc85df1.png

With all weeds I find the best method it pulling out by hand.

Yes, it's a daunting task but I just allot 5 minutes every evening to the task and managed to keep ahead.

Best to give the area you are going to deal with a good soaking first.

Once in the morning then once around 5.00 pm before you start.

Select a grid of 4 square meters and weed it the best you can. If the soil is wet enough the roots will come out too.

Next day do another 4 square meters. Unless your lawn is very big you can stay on top of it.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 8:25 PM, drtreelove said:

If you want a really nice lawn and have a budget to do it right, I recommend that you start over. 

We live outside of town and on two sides is meadow land so we're never likely to have a really nice lawn with all the stuff/seeds that get blow in...I've taken Denim's approach for now...just so long as it ends up fairly uniform without damn great holes all over I'll be happy ????

On 2/11/2020 at 9:42 PM, Denim said:

With all weeds I find the best method it pulling out by hand.

Yes, it's a daunting task but I just allot 5 minutes every evening to the task and managed to keep ahead.

Best to give the area you are going to deal with a good soaking first.

Once in the morning then once around 5.00 pm before you start.

Select a grid of 4 square meters and weed it the best you can. If the soil is wet enough the roots will come out too.

Next day do another 4 square meters. Unless your lawn is very big you can stay on top of it.

I'm doing this now...I'll let you know in a year or so if it worked out ????

On 2/11/2020 at 6:06 AM, Susco said:

Not wanting to hijack this topic, but I have a nice lwan with Malay grass.

One section has large patches of a very tiny grass, and the patches are increasing in size.

The grass looks a bit like the picture but it is much more dense.

Any idea how to get rid of that?

image.png.8200fd7dc817c4a4eea7cddaefc85df1.png

Measure the square meters of the unwanted grass. Buy enough ya malaysia sod sections to replace it (one section as sold in most plant markets is half a sq meter) Buy some sacks of compost to fill in, level and top dress. Have a shovel and a hard steel rake on hand (not a flex leaf rake).

Dig out shallow sections of the unwanted grass and replace it with new patches of ya-malaysia sod.  Get it as level as possible, top dress with the compost to fill in the gaps. Water heavily. Hold the rake vertically and use the back of it as a tamper to squish and level the wet sod in place.  (A weighted roller is the professional way to do this, but that piece of equipment and expertise may not be available) 

Keep your malaysia grass healthy with good fertility and water management and it should dominate and suppress other species.  Spot pull weeds and grasses as they appear.  (spot spraying  with herbicide leaves ugly dry spots that take time to regrow)  Some say it needs shade, but my experience is that it can take full sun as long as you water it adequately. 

Edited by drtreelove

10 hours ago, Neilly said:

We live outside of town and on two sides is meadow land so we're never likely to have a really nice lawn with all the stuff/seeds that get blow in...I've taken Denim's approach for now...just so long as it ends up fairly uniform without damn great holes all over I'll be happy ????

I'm doing this now...I'll let you know in a year or so if it worked out ????

I think in a year or so you will still be out there pulling weeds. Hey as long as you are happy, it gives you something to do. Indefinitely. 

Me, I'd start over, and I'd go with Susco, go with ya Malaysia. It dominates and squeezes out weeds and ants. It's soft and cool and comfortable to lay around on, play with kids and pets. Mow it high, 3 inches, don't scalp it with a krueng tat ya. Water and fertilize.