Mukdahan/Savannahket Border

Hi guys,

Normally I get a Non O single entry from Savannakhet and then extend by 2 months in Ubon. The problem I have this time is my stamp finishes tomorrow. Which means if i want another single entry I will need to spend a few nights there instead of the usual 1. I must admit i hate the place. Im thinking this time i might just cross the border, come straight back (like within a few hours after some shopping and a couple of Lao beers), get an exempt stamp for 30 days and then extend that by 2 months later. I dont have any previous exempt stamps in my passport for the last 365 days, its all been Non O singles and extensions. Although Im sure this is technically allowed does anyone think it will be a bit cheeky and annoy immigration staff ? Or am I just being paranoid ? To be honest I would rather spend an hour there and only get 30 days + 2 months than have to stay Sat - Tue. Ill get a non O again next time.

Thanks in advance

Edited by PhoSai

OP wrote > Im thinking this time i might just cross the border, come straight back (like within a few hours after some shopping and a couple of Lao beers), get an exempt stamp for 30 days and then extend that by 2 months later.

Having re-entered Thailand Visa Exempt, you can extend your permission to stay with an additional 30 days at a local IO (cost = 1.900 THB).  You can only do this once per entry (so 2 months extension is not possible).

Also please note that only 2 Visa Exempt land-border entries are allowed per calendar year.  

As others have written, there is no immediate problem in what you propose. That said, I always advice people not to burn those land based visa exempt entries except in an emergency. They are your insurance policy if unable to enter in another fashion. I especially feel this in your case, first because it is so early in the year, second because your plan of using serial single entry Non O visas may be refused by the consulate or immigration without notice.

Why not exit Thailand to some other town in Laos if you dislike Savannakhet, and travel up to Savannakhet early Monday? For instance, you could exit Thailand at Chong Mek and spend a night or two in Pakse.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could do the border hop at the Chong Mek crossing here in Ubon. Shorter trip than going to Mukdahan.

Beat me to it!Not only is it closer but the Lao visa is only 1300 Baht not the 1500 baht they charge at Mukdaharn and the Immigration staff are friendlier,especially the boss who spent several years in Warnambool Australia and speaks good Hindi,oh and good english!

Edited by FarFlungFalang

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He will be applying for a 60 day extension to visit his Thai wife or child. It can be applied for any type of entry.

Next year, I plan to get a Non-O single entry from Savannakhet, my question is, if I am already living with my wife (I come to Thailand 5-6 months a year) why should I apply for a 60-day extension to visit my wife?  I am a little confused, could you please clarify for me.  Thanks a bunch, in advance.

33 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

Next year, I plan to get a Non-O single entry from Savannakhet, my question is, if I am already living with my wife (I come to Thailand 5-6 months a year) why should I apply for a 60-day extension to visit my wife?  I am a little confused, could you please clarify for me.  Thanks a bunch, in advance.

The word visit is the reason written in the police order. It really means nothing beyond that.

It does not matter if you are living with your wife a to whether you can apply for the extension or not,

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The word visit is the reason written in the police order. It really means nothing beyond that.

It does not matter if you are living with your wife a to whether you can apply for the extension or not,

Thank you very much for your help, greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the further advice guys and yes maybe was a bit silly to burn up a land exempt. But it was a Saturday and just thought I dont want to be in this place until Tuesday. Bad planning on my behalf.

The roads are getting better up to Mukdahan now. I left at 11.00 and was back at home with beer in hand by 16.00, not too bad. Next time ill go for the Single O again and plan it better. 

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Passed Savannakhet consulate at 1000 am Tuesday only 2 people inside. This is supposed to be a busy day with visa run companies. 

Wrong day. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are the days the visa run companies are not there. Fridays as well if you don't mind waiting until  Monday to pick up your passport.

The companies are there on Mondays and Thursdays.

• Like 2

You can actually extend the visa exempt 2 times with a Non-O. Extend for 30 days the first time and 60 days the second time, so you can  get a total of 120 days on it, 1,900 each time. You have to do it in that order though (according to Chaengwattana).

I do it when I do a visa exempt (I have 1/2 Thai children). The last time though, I got a real winner of an I.O. and thought she was going to refuse me. She was looking for any mistake she could find in my paperwork.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 2:48 PM, ubonjoe said:

He will be applying for a 60 day extension to visit his Thai wife or child. It can be applied for any type of entry.

I know this is an old tread, but I've been out of it for a couple of months.

I did not know you could apply for 2 months on an Visa Exempt. Although, I live in Pathum Thani and the last time I asked for a 60 day on my Non 'O' I had to show financials. It was a real pain in the neck.

6 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I know this is an old tread, but I've been out of it for a couple of months.

I did not know you could apply for 2 months on an Visa Exempt. Although, I live in Pathum Thani and the last time I asked for a 60 day on my Non 'O' I had to show financials. It was a real pain in the neck.

The requirements for the 60 day extension does not mention any type of visa requirement for it.

Just a rogue immigration office asking for financial proof that is not required in clause 2.24 of the police order.

See this on the immigration website. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_24

I'm confused with the Laos crossing info from the various threads. May I ask:

I am on a multi tourist visa, riding my motorbike up in Isan. My 60 day runs out on the 1st March. I will actually leave Thailand again on the 28th April, so can go for this stamp on 28th February.

Can I just go to Mukdaharn or elsewhere, stamp out, walk over, get a visa on arrival, pay money, stamp in/out and walk back to stamp back in again in Thailand?

It is my understanding that I can't take my bike in to Laos except from Chiang Kong.

Some threads say you have to say for a day or two.

Cheers, if anyone can enlighten me.

29 minutes ago, lowprofile said:

Can I just go to Mukdaharn or elsewhere, stamp out, walk over, get a visa on arrival, pay money, stamp in/out and walk back to stamp back in again in Thailand?

Yes you can.

But you have to take a bus across the bridge at Mukdahan and others.

Probably not worth the effort to take you bike into Laos for just a out and back for a new entry.

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2020 at 4:32 AM, Toosetinmyways said:

Passed Savannakhet consulate at 1000 am Tuesday only 2 people inside. This is supposed to be a busy day with visa run companies. 

was there wednesday  in november and   just  wait 5 min inside