Patient in Chiang Mai hospital found to be carrying coronavirus

rooster59

Patient in Chiang Mai hospital found to be carrying coronavirus

By THE NATION

800_10c15a49d173380.jpg

A patient who had come to the Maharaj Nakorn Chiang Mai Hospital for treatment later tested positive for the new coronavirus, the hospital said in a Facebook post on Friday (January 31).

The hospital said that the Ministry of Public Health had announced five more people in Thailand had been confirmed as carrying the new coronavirus, and one of the five was the patient who had come to the hospital for treatment.

The five new cases bring the total thus far to 19, of whom seven patients have already recovered.

“The patient had been suffering from pneumonia and was treated until the fever went down and the overall condition improved gradually,” the hospital said in its Facebook post, adding, “The hospital has exercised the highest caution in treating the patient to prevent the spread of the virus to other patients and hospital staff. Anyone who came into contact with the patient is now being monitored in a quarantine environment.”

640_a56h9ebh9bbe78ed7e8j5.jpg

The hospital added that they had also closed most of the entrances and exits of the hospital, and deployed staff to monitor the ones that are still in use. These entrances and exits will be equipped with thermoscanners and will offer free alcohol gel and face masks to visitors.

The hospital also asked the relatives of the patients to avoid visiting at this moment to avoid crowding in the hospital and reduce the chance of the virus spreading.

640_7kf7ajab77b58efjbacdf.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381408

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-01
  • Sad 2

Hazmat suits are totally inappropriate given that transmission is either by air or touch - overkill....

Either a N-95 or an air purifying respirator plus gloves and eye wear or face shield if very close contact like a nurse...

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The masks mostly shown in the photos are the cheap drugstore kind that are not really effective against viruses... They could have/should have been wearing N95 respirator masks, but probably have a hard time obtaining them up there.

These surgical masks became a fashion accessory some years ago and can  cover up a variety of deficits from acne to cleft palate scars. After about 30 minutes their filtering efficiency diminishes rapidly.

3 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Seems so, looks like a surgical mask not even a n95 mask.... 

..humans will absorb more droplets of viruses through soft tissue, particularly the eyes...her nose isn't sealed correctly either.

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Maybe the PM should ensure the future of Chinese tourism in Thailand by going to the airports and personally meeting and greeting and shaking hands with all new Chinese arrivals in Thailand?

Nothing to worry about, surely, it's all 100% under control, lol.

And a huge vat of mango with sticky rice 

In China you get different kind of advise & information:

‘Stay home’ Chinese city orders as coronavirus deaths reach daily record
Huanggang — home to 7.4 million people — in Hubei province restricts public movement to control infections
Province at the epicentre of disease outbreak announces 45 new deaths and 1,347 new confirmed cases
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/3048518/coronavirus-case-load-and-death-toll-china-rise-epicentre-hubei-province

According to the National Health Commission in Beijing, 11,791 cases have been confirmed in China’s 31 provinces, municipalities and autonomous regions as of Friday. New deaths have brought the nationwide toll to 259.

Authorities in China’s coronavirus epicentre of Hubei province reported 45 new deaths from the illness and 1,347 new confirmed cases on Saturday – both daily record highs.

Authorities in Huanggang – a city of about 7.4 million people – have become the first in Hubei province to impose strict restrictions against residents from going outside, declaring that every family can send one member out to buy necessities every two days.

One of the hospital’s employees was confirmed to have contracted the virus on January 23 but Jian did not elaborate on whether the patient may be a “super-spreader” – a patient who has contact with others at the most virulent stage of the disease.
Sars expert Zhong Nanshan said in a press conference on January 21 that a super-spreader had infected 14 medical staff in a hospital in Wuhan.
Australians advised not to travel to China
Australia has joined US and other countries in upgrading its travel advice to include all of mainland China. “Do not travel”, Prime Minister Scott Morrison advised on Saturday.

Edited by FinChin67

20 minutes ago, justin case said:

just a question:  who pays for the quarantine ???? isn't that super expensive ?

Another question -  who's paying for the hospital treatment for all the confirmed and potential coronavirus patients from China who have been staying in various private and public Thai hospitals for treatment and testing?

Throughout this entire process, thus far, I haven't seen one peep about the financials for all of their treatment, and all those who will require it in the future.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cardinalblue said:

As someone who had hospital fire/life programs under me, I cringe when I hear they have closed exits/entrances into the hospital...

you think they got permission of the Province fire Marshall to do that? ???? 

I presume they just mean, closed various of the multiple entry/exit points so they can better funnel inbound folks thru their screening stations.

I would tend to doubt they've chained the doors or such, so that in the event of some emergency, they wouldn't be able to use the closed exits in order to escape the building(s).

" The Hospital commented that they had closed most of the Entrances and Exits "

And all those little Virus bugs just marched straight out of there in lines 4  abreast through the ones that were not closed.

And now they have to quarantine staff because the patient was not, thus taking them away from their duties of care with other Patients.

Seriously !

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The five new cases bring the total thus far to 19, of whom seven patients have already recovered.

Note! This is sarcasm!

I do not understand why China not ask Thailand, "How do you do"? I mean, early this morning, it was in total 11374 cases of corona virus in total all over the world. Of those 259 have died and 252 have been recovered. Most of those infected are from China, lets say 11300 (that is a low number), and all that have died is reported from China. Then if we look at Thailand. 19 cases, 0 died, and 7 totally recovered after just a few days. That is about 1/3. So I do not understand why China not ask Thailand as that in a couple of days will reduce the people who are suffering from Corona in China to less than 4000 and there will soon be no problem.  

Edited by Parsve
wrong spelling
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm confused by what to make of this....

Apparently, the hospital didn't know or test the person for the virus right away, and thus there must have been some period of time to allow the potential spread of the virus there.... Thus the need for quarantine anyone who came in contact with the patient.

Thais way of control is different to most!

But don't fret... Prayut & Anutin have your back, you can rest easy!

1 hour ago, justin case said:

just a question:  who pays for the quarantine ???? isn't that super expensive ?

The hospital bean counters can just send the bills down to “Loong” Prayut at Government House in Bangkok.  I’m sure he has plenty of funds at his ready disposal.  

So this  patient was in  the general ward for days plus initial  exam.  How many staff are under surveillance and does that mean at home?  Or continue  to work?  Seems like 2 patients like this can decimate a hospital staff.  There has to be 3 nurses  plus a doctor plus the 3 shifts now staffing a few doors left  open removed  from patient care. 

Surgical masks And don't they need glasses?  And do thai hospitals even have n95 mask supplies to last or at all?  From most reports  any masks are sold out much less n95.  Plus they dont have different sizes and do test fits on small asian faces.    I don't see how this is going to not blow up in CM.     If it doesn't blow up do we believe the numbers? 

From the very beginning I wondered how much the medical cost are going to negate the tourist numbers that they wanted to allow and encourage in.  I can't help but thinking someone is profiting from these tourist numbers via big hotel kickbacks or somehow and expecting the hospital  bill of sick to be paid back out of a different pocket, like tax revenue.  

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Apparently, the hospital didn't know or test the person for the virus right away, and thus there must have been some period of time to allow the potential spread of the virus there.... Thus the need for quarantine anyone who came in contact with the patient.

But if the hospital HAD exercised the highest degree of caution in treating the patient in the first place, then quarantining everyone who came in contact with the patient wouldn't be necessary, because they all would have been wearing protective mask, gloves and other gear -- which, apparently they weren't!

Lot of false assumptions here. There is no point of contact test. You take sample. Send it off and wait for result. You isolate the pt and ascertain all the person’s recent contacts etc.

it is time to use “ the little grey cell” and not get reflexively angry at anything Thai.

15 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But if the hospital HAD exercised the highest degree of caution in treating the patient in the first place, then quarantining everyone who came in contact with the patient wouldn't be necessary, because they all would have been wearing protective mask, gloves and other gear -- which, apparently they weren't!

They are not treating the infected or suspected infected. Tthey are behaving properly.