More than 100 patients under coronavirus watch in Krabi

rooster59

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

You have to be real careful about judging the situation from the videos coming out of Wuhan, especially the hospitals.  My Chinese GF has health problems and as a result, I've spent over 500 days in various Chinese hospitals.  Depending on which hospital and which ward, it's common to see people sleeping on the floor in the hallways, dozens of forlorn -even bleeding- people sitting in chairs waiting for a bed, patients stacked up on cots in the lobbies, and family members yelling at doctors.  Often, she had to wait weeks for a bed to free up to do any routine inpatient procedures.  And that's on a normal day.  

To a westerner accustomed to hospitals "back home", it looks like the world is coming to an end.  To anyone who's spent a lot of time in Chinese hospitals, it looks like a typical Friday night in the emergency wing.

Not judging the situation based on videos. Judging it based on:

- Number of daily infected that needs a hospital bed. (Official Numbers)

- Military personal being sent in to help

- New hospitals being built

- 50 mill. people on lock-down

- China asking EU for help with Medical supplies

The situation seems desperate to me.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Not judging the situation based on videos. Judging it based on:

- Number of daily infected that needs a hospital bed. (Official Numbers)

- Military personal being sent in to help

- New hospitals being built

- 50 mill. people on lock-down

- China asking EU for help with Medical supplies

The situation seems desperate to me.

Year in, year out, 500 people A DAY die of the flu in China, with millions hospitalized every year.  And each year, the flu mutates and last year's vaccines probably won't work on this year's flu.  Or next years.

So the question becomes, which is worse, the virus or the panic?

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Year in, year out, 500 people A DAY die of the flu in China, with millions hospitalized every year.  And each year, the flu mutates and last year's vaccines probably won't work on this year's flu.  Or next years.

I think if we could ask Wuhan, they would properly say the virus is horrible and much worse than any panic or normal flu. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yinn said:

Foreigners will be “blamed” for bring the virus here. 

Because it true!

The op say only 10% is Thai. 90% is foreigner.

Worship your Chinese masters just like the government do....

If they do anything it will be under the orders of President Xi

I wonder of the wu flu deniers are also climate change  deniers?  Time will tell.   I rather ne safe than sorry.  I read somewhere where heart damage is occurring.  So recovery may not really be back to 100%.  

I am having trouble imagining thailand, krabi monitoring  100 people on some semi lockdown.    These are stuck here for 14 days.  But then are house maids and families  watched?  I just dont believe Thailand has enough respirators.   It would suck to be told you are positive but sorry no machine or room go home like many in china have.  I am thinking once we get this virus shut down we should focus on malaria and dengue and a few other things.   

5 hours ago, impulse said:

Post your source. The official Chinese number is 143 death from flu in January 2019 and 144 for all of 2018. Now do you still trust their numbers? 

"The agency also estimates between 6,600 and 17,000 deaths related to influenza since October 1, 2019.

Official Chinese data of flu-caused deaths is much lower, with Chinese CDC data showing that in 2018, there were more than 700,000 cases and 144 deaths. 

But there was an epidemic in early 2019. In January 2019, the number of flu cases in the Chinese mainland reached 608,511, with 143 deaths. In the first five months of 2019 alone, the number of reported cases of influenza  reached 1.77 million, exceeding the total of the past four years"

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1177725.shtml

Edited by Tayaout

47 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Worship your Chinese masters just like the government do....

If they do anything it will be under the orders of President Xi

Pffffft. Chinese never colonize us.

UK do to many country, Burma, Malaysia etc etc. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

Post your source. The official Chinese number is 143 death from flu in January 2019 and 144 for all of 2018. Now do you still trust their numbers? 

"The agency also estimates between 6,600 and 17,000 deaths related to influenza since October 1, 2019.

Official Chinese data of flu-caused deaths is much lower, with Chinese CDC data showing that in 2018, there were more than 700,000 cases and 144 deaths. 

But there was an epidemic in early 2019. In January 2019, the number of flu cases in the Chinese mainland reached 608,511, with 143 deaths. In the first five months of 2019 alone, the number of reported cases of influenza  reached 1.77 million, exceeding the total of the past four years"

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1177725.shtml

The US CDC data says 35,000 flu deaths a year in the USA, which has about 1/5 the population of China.  I extrapolated that to 500 flu deaths a day in China.  Being familiar with the health care systems in both countries, I suspect that's a very conservative estimate.

If they're reporting 144 deaths a year, I laugh on them.  From your linked article:  "The US flu mortality rate includes cases where flu causes other illnesses to worsen and lead to death, while China only counts people who die directly from flu," an observer who prefers to be anonymous told the Global Times.

The statistical methods used by the Chinese CDC should be revised, as deaths from pneumonia caused by the flu, for example, are not counted, the observer said.

By that methodology, I don't know how anyone can die of flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

The US CDC data says 35,000 flu deaths a year in the USA, which has about 1/5 the population of China.  I extrapolated that to 500 flu deaths a day in China.  Being familiar with the health care systems in both countries, I suspect that's a very conservative estimate.

If they're reporting 144 deaths a year, I laugh on them.  From your linked article:  "The US flu mortality rate includes cases where flu causes other illnesses to worsen and lead to death, while China only counts people who die directly from flu," an observer who prefers to be anonymous told the Global Times.

The statistical methods used by the Chinese CDC should be revised, as deaths from pneumonia caused by the flu, for example, are not counted, the observer said.

By that methodology, I don't know how anyone can die of flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

Yes my point is that we can't rely on the Chinese statistics. We don't trust any of their statistics including economic. Why should we trust them now with their low mortality count. Right now if someone die before being tested for coronavirus they are not counted and their labs seems to be limited to about 2000 tests per day (there is even a lag of 5-12 days for results). We will see in the coming weeks what the mortality rate looks outside China. 

Edited by Tayaout

17 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I don’t see any discrimination unless you are talking about discriminating against the Chinese. The Chinese need a visa to visit Thailand whereas most westerners can come in visa exempt for 30 days or more. 
Since you’re a newbie,  I guess you can be excused for not knowing the facts. 

I am from Europe, If i use the airport - 30 days entry (it depends on the immigration officer whether he admits me), for a longer stay, I need visit the immigration office, or i need to visit embassy before travel.

Chinese citizens = 

Chinese citizens who wish to apply for a Thailand tourist visa can currently apply for a 15-day visa on arrival. The visa on arrival has been made available online, through a simple application, to speed up border control upon arrival. 

Starting, February 15, 2019,  all Chinese travelers will be able to request the new Thai eVisa, for stays up to 60 days, which will grant them access to a fast lane instead of waiting in long lines at the border upon arrival.

The Thai government and the Thai authorities do not conceal the fact that they prefer tourists from China / India than from Europe. 

Chinese citizens can apply eVisa up to 60 days too  / The Government of the Kingdom of Thailand is currently waiving the additional visa on arrival payment of 2,000 Baht (approximately 61 USD) until the 30th of April 2020 in order to promote the Thai iVisa for Chinese citizens - I do not have this option, as a person from the European Union. 

I am a newbie here (forum thaivisa), but I am a multi-year visitor of Thailand, short and long stays.   

That you don't know all the facts about Chinese visas , its ok, we are not embassy workers.

But the fact, that chinese citizens can use  60 day eVisa  without charge and I can not, is a clear benefit for China. If  i want to be in thailand 60 days i have to visit immigration office (or embassy before travel) and pay.

The fact that Thailand despite the coronavirus/ along with free eVisa, allows Chinese tourists to enter, is the best proof of how important chinese money is for Thailand, and everything else is secondary, including the health of Thai citizens, the health of foreign tourists/expats. 

sorry for my grammar, english is not my native language

12 hours ago, ukrules said:

About 2.5% is one of the figures I've read, not 50% - you will see.

You don't seem to be able to do basic math yourself nor read a supplied link explaining it, nor did you understand a single word of my post. 

The case fatality rate of MERS was 34%, SARS 10%, it could very well be in that range. Or not, we don't know, we don't have any sufficient sample size of data yet.

CURRENTLY it is at 42.64%, with the numbers we have available to the public. You can't argue against math.

On 2/1/2020 at 4:29 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

Recovered rate vs death is the only meaningful metric, the sample size is small tho. Will likely go down - but we won't know after another 10k people are either recovered or dead. Will take around a week i would estimate to see the real numbers. 

???? ????????????????????????????