How long to clear departure immigration/security

TroyC

I never rarely worry about clearing immigration and security, given that the check-in counter is going to close down 45-60 minutes before wheels up.  That usually gives plenty of time to get to the departure gate, unless you have other needs like clearing an overstay or getting a re-entry permit.

I worry more about traffic, because it can take a half hour to get the the airport, or 2 hours.  And I worry about the queue at the check in counter, which can run anywhere from 30 seconds to an hour.

That all said, I've had it take between 10 minutes and 45 minutes to get from the check in counter to the departure gate at Swampy, including all the queues and all the walking.  I try to show up at the airport 2 hours before flight time, which is when most check in counters start checking in for a flight.  Which means leaving home (Asoke) 3 hours before wheels up.  Then I sit and have a burger or a coffee on the secure side -after all the queues- with any excess time.  Sometimes, I've wasted an hour.  Sometimes -very few times- I barely made it.  YMMV.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

I always aim to get to the check in as soon as it opens which is usually 2.5 hours before departure time. This tends to beat the worst of the conga lines and gives the extra leeway if security or immigration is backed up.

If the OP can do online check in, usually opens 24-hours before departure time, then all that's needed is the bag-drop which for some but not all carriers, makes for an even easier, faster check-in.

9 hours ago, TroyC said:

I'm flying out tomorrow morning at 09:30 just wondered any recent travellers can help give me rough estimate of time to clear immigration and security. 

Thanks. 

You don't say how old you are. The channel for passengers aged 70+ adjacent to Row K (Singapore Airlines) will have you through in a flash

On 2/1/2020 at 9:01 PM, TroyC said:

I'm flying out tomorrow morning at 09:30 just wondered any recent travellers can help give me rough estimate of time to clear immigration and security. 

Thanks. 

Assuming you flew out Sunday monring, can you share the details of your experience?

The airport must be less busy now with the drop in tourist numbers due to corona virus? I've struck massive queues in the past. A 2 hour transfer window to a domestic flight - having to clear immigration, wait for bag and re-check in - was nearly not enough in one case. I won't do less than 2.5 hours now. 

Edited by Tuvoc