Chinese tourists desert Thai resort as coronavirus spreads

rooster59

4 hours ago, Yinn said:

He imagine it.

More Chinese international tourist than his country. Sure.

They are number 1 in the world. 

Last year, 130 million Chinese people travelled abroad. Due to the robust growth in the first half of the year, Ledsham predicted annual outbound travellers from China for the entire year would hit 160 million.

Tourism industry hit hard as Chinese tourists stay home

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/tourism-industry-hit-hard-as-chinese-tourists-stay-home/ar-BBZx9TR?li=BBnbklE

Early missteps and state secrecy in China probably allowed the coronavirus to spread farther and faster

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/early-missteps-and-state-secrecy-in-china-probably-allowed-the-coronavirus-to-spread-farther-and-faster/ar-BBZya9o?li=BBnbfcL

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

Great idea. Leave a country where there are a few cases and go back to the place it originated from where there are thousands of "known" cases. I'd like to know the IQ of this group.

It did not say they had gone back to China only that they had left The area, probably dispersed all over Los

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

True. But at this point we need absolute transparency from the Chinese government, and a willingness to work with foreign experts on disease. Not something the Chicoms are used to doing. They need to bend their ways, to deal with this, before it becomes a much larger crisis than it already is. Had they treated the first doctor who reported this, back on December 31st with some respect and dignity, rather than arresting him, this might have been dealt with much sooner. He is now in the ICU fighting for his life. Most of the Chicom government are ideological numskulls, who need to be feared, and never given respect.

1 death in the Philippines today i believe i read   

Anthony Boudain said be a Traveler not a Tourist and the Chinese are tourists walking behind the red flag on the white pole... Been here for 15 yrs in Bkk they are mainland Chinese peasants that now have some cash  in their pocket.. NEW Money just like the Russians a decade before Travelers there not? Its like the 1980s Conticki tour to Europe for the non Europeans... Go for 4 week total package holiday  and come back a expert on European culture... 

• Sad 1

The Chinese move like a school of fish...they arrive all at once, and disappear all at once as soon as something frightens them...

And it may take quite a while before seeing them venturing again outside their borders.

Those, in officialdom, who believe that things will go back to normal by March are in for a big disillusion, unless they mean March...2021...

For this year, it is game over.

The good part, for those hardcore foreigners who remain steadily in the Land of Smile, is that they may get great hotel discounts, as was the case during the very agitated first decade of this new century, when I remember enjoying 5 star hotels for about 2,500 baht...

Let's wait...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I hope that the PM will soon realize, that it´s now time to ban any person from entering Thailand, who has been in China during the last 14 days, in order to limit and eventually stop the outbreak from spreading in Thailand!

Safety First instead of money first!!!

Edited by Xonax
  • Sad 1

I think Thailand better think again about promoting getting mostly Chinese tourist. They seem to not want us from the west any more even though that is how they made their economy what it is. Diversity is basic business but who are the people running Thailand??  All one eggs in one basket and then it falls, then what?  I hope they realize all this, I say this because I like Thailand, but they have not treated me well when I come once a year because 3 years ago I was in and out on visas. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

What did Thailand do 10-15 years ago before the Chinese starting making enough money to travel? When I first came to Thailand over 20 years ago you would have a hard time finding a handful of Chinese tourists. 

yes and europe? 

They aren't important, they only came the last few years.

86% of all tourism in europe is domestic, americans being the second highest groups.

26% of all tourism EUR spend in the EU is from germans, followed by french and brits.

Chinese are irrelevant, Europe is already overvisited. We need to go back to sustainable numbers.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Xonax said:

I hope that the PM will soon realize, that it´s now time to ban any person from entering Thailand, who has been in China during the last 14 days, in order to limit and eventually stop the outbreak from spreading in Thailand!

Safety First instead of money first!!!

One of our family members just came back from Taiwain, he's suspected to have corona virus. Currently running the tests....Add taiwan to that list.

Edited by ThomasThBKK
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

How can you add Taiwan to the list if it is not yet confirmed ???? 

Are you crying wolf here Mr TBKK

Why would you add Hongkong and not taiwan, both are part of china according to china.

Both have tons of daily immigration with China.

Vietnam banned China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau flights - why would Thailand do it differently.

Logic much?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

This will hopefully be contained soon as it could do a lot of damage to the economy in some countries.

Also, it is annoying to see the cost of a mask increase  by 500%

I bought one for 10 baht a few months ago. Yesterday I see the same mask on sale for 50 baht.

That's not an increase of 500% 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, smedly said:

you know what is funny 

Chinese are not well travelled people - they are brought here on very well fine tuned packages - plane - bus - hotel - bus - eating - bus - hotel - rinse repeat, being ripped off at every opportunity possible - they think it is all normal because they don't know any better - they are herded everywhere - charged a fortune and after 10 days shipped off home thinking - well that is what a holiday is...……..they have no concept of travel 

we from the west are always well travelled - it is very hard for us to understand what exactly is going on with these Chinese (so called) tourists - they just don't know any better and are being taken advantage of - very sad really and is just massive exploitation of people that don't know any better or different

and no it isn't really funny at all

Painting with quite a wide brush, but it does apply to segments of the new middle class. One thing to note is that international travel is an important status symbol in China, as is higher education in any English-speaking country, but especially the United States. (Since there are about 60 universities in the greater Boston area, it's gauche to say they went to Harvard, or a little humiliating to say they went to Northeastern, so they say "I went to college in Boston.") If people say they've been to San Francisco, or London and/or Paris, it's important to their friends to respond Oh yes, we've been there too.

If the Chinese are telling us the truth as to the extent of this outbreak (which I would be surprised if the WHO are being correctly updated) then it should start to get back to normal in April.

I suspect that the real situation is much worse than we are led to believe.

China just does not shout & scream over 500 local people dying

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, smedly said:

you know what is funny 

Chinese are not well travelled people - they are brought here on very well fine tuned packages - plane - bus - hotel - bus - eating - bus - hotel - rinse repeat, being ripped off at every opportunity possible - they think it is all normal because they don't know any better - they are herded everywhere - charged a fortune and after 10 days shipped off home thinking - well that is what a holiday is...……..they have no concept of travel 

we from the west are always well travelled - it is very hard for us to understand what exactly is going on with these Chinese (so called) tourists - they just don't know any better and are being taken advantage of - very sad really and is just massive exploitation of people that don't know any better or different

and no it isn't really funny at all

You got the job & why ?   you bloody well nailed it !

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

He imagine it.

More Chinese international tourist than his country. Sure.

They are number 1 in the world. 

Last year, 130 million Chinese people travelled abroad. Due to the robust growth in the first half of the year, Ledsham predicted annual outbound travellers from China for the entire year would hit 160 million.

The big difference in Chinese tourists is tour groups versus independent travellers which normally equates to young versus middle aged or older. It's done the world (!) of good for Chinese to get out on see other countries and broaden their horizons. I have been on bus tours and train tours with Chinese and they have a lot of loud, boisterous and naive fun but really they have no idea how they are being manipulated for hotels, eating and shopping. It's all controlled to give kickbacks and cement business relationships. In China they take you to jade, pearl and souvenir "museums" which are thinly disguised sucker shops. Sad really. And Chinese hotel breakfasts and meals are often disgusting in 3 ways: the "food", the "service" and the way the tourists themselves act. But the younger, well-educated and cosmopolitan travellers or the wealthy business types are really no different from other nationalities. The worst gets reported and the best are unnoticed

Edited by Isaan Alan
museums -> meals
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, smedly said:

you know what is funny 

and no it isn't really funny at I do not agree. They are not well travelled but we'll connected and well informed. And they pay ridiculously low money for their trips including food and room. No other tourist can travel that cheap - And is that cheap. They are no victims. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

This will hopefully be contained soon as it could do a lot of damage to the economy in some countries.

Also, it is annoying to see the cost of a mask increase  by 500%

I bought one for 10 baht a few months ago. Yesterday I see the same mask on sale for 50 baht.

Contained yes , by stopping them spreading it , they need an Anti virus for it .  Which can take 6 months from the States , who have many clinics working on it .