Chinese tourists desert Thai resort as coronavirus spreads

rooster59

5 hours ago, phanangpete said:

I will be very surprised if they find a cure themselves for this , SARS , the States came up with an anti virus and this , apparently , is already worse . 

No, the States didn't. None of the antiviral treatments used were found to have any clear clinical effect.

SARS was eventually halted simply by isolating patients to prevent infection.

The US Centers for Disease Control say:

"Currently, no definitive medication protocol specific to SARS has been developed, although various treatment regimens have been tried without proven success. [1112The CDC recommends that patients suspected of or confirmed as having SARS receive the same treatment that would be administered if they had any serious, community-acquired pneumonia."

The UK NHS says:

"The SARS pandemic was eventually brought under control in July 2003, following a policy of isolating people suspected of having the condition and screening all passengers travelling by air from affected countries for signs of the infection. [...]   There's currently no cure for SARS, but research to find a vaccine is ongoing.

A person suspected of having SARS should be admitted to hospital immediately and kept in isolation under close observation.

Treatment is mainly supportive, and may include:

• assisting with breathing using a ventilator to deliver oxygen 
  • antibiotics to treat bacteria that cause pneumonia 
  • antiviral medicines 
  • high doses of steroids to reduce swelling in the lungs 

There's not much scientific evidence to show that these treatments are effective. The antiviral medicine ribavirin is known to be ineffective at treating SARS."

[https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sars/]

Edited by partington

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Your evaluation and comments are not all true.

Plenty of Chinese not part of what you are describing.

Mostly younger staying in condos 1000's of them everyday especially in Pattaya. At The Base alone, I would guess 200 a day coming and going. Add just Unixx and Centric and it is many many more.

Coming here 2 or 3 together lots of females not part of any tours or being herded.

Mental note, stay away from Base, Unixx and Centric .. ah ok, has that note already from years back, all good.

14 hours ago, Yinn said:

My gang plan to go Phuket town this weekend. But cancel the trip, same reason everyone same. 

A lot of TVF thread about Coronavirus. Have a lot of people imagine this a problem because Thailand. Some blame “Thailand”. Want “Thailand” pay for hospital etc. 

some blame “Thainess”

Same posters that always complain and mock the successful Thai tourism, look like they enjoy this problem. 

Is a disease from foreigner. Is NOT a thai disease. NO tourist or Thai die in Thailand because this.

It is problem for Thailand because we are popular Chinese tourism. Other countries popular also have problem. Chinese most important tourist in the world. 

eg Australia popular place for Chinese tourism. Maybe because “Aussieness”? Or not? 

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/wuhan-coronavirus-tourism-impact/index.html

Sure, it will be low tourism now because of Coronavirus. The Chinese stop coming and the other people foreigner and Thai are scared. 

But nobody die in thailand. Is good news. 

Calm down.

"But nobody die in thailand."

You should add a postscript to that :-

"Yet". 

"successful Thai tourism,"

You should add a postscript to that:-

"according to figures issued by TAT"

Edited by sambum
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:
15 hours ago, smedly said:

Chinese are not well travelled people - they are brought here on very well fine tuned packages

They are not the only country that have inexperienced travelers that choose the group tour option.Chinatowns all over the world will show that Chinese have a long history of traveling.

Chinatowns don't show Chinese people as well travelled as they exist mainly in port cities where Chinese workers jumped ship. China has been a Communist closed country for decades and only in recent years have the people been wealthy enough to afford foreign holidays.

17 hours ago, smedly said:

you know what is funny 

Chinese are not well travelled people - they are brought here on very well fine tuned packages - plane - bus - hotel - bus - eating - bus - hotel - rinse repeat, being ripped off at every opportunity possible - they think it is all normal because they don't know any better - they are herded everywhere - charged a fortune and after 10 days shipped off home thinking - well that is what a holiday is...……..they have no concept of travel 

we from the west are always well travelled - it is very hard for us to understand what exactly is going on with these Chinese (so called) tourists - they just don't know any better and are being taken advantage of - very sad really and is just massive exploitation of people that don't know any better or different

and no it isn't really funny at all

Well... "not well traveled"... in order to get out of China they need to get an approval from PSB (Public Security Bureau). That's why we mostly see retired people. PSB have no problems with them, and let them go abroad. As for a younger generation, it's a way more complicated. Also, why do they use "travel agency packages", - because 99.99% of them do not speak English, or any other language. That's why they cannot do any solo trips.

They are not taken advantage of, they just agree to what is offered to them.

But there is a problem... those "tourists" DO NOT make any contribution to the economic of the country they visit. They eat at chinese restaurants (specifically built for them). Last year I visited Salzburg, a small town... and... they do have a restaurant built for those chinese tourists. They don't go out to explore town, and do some tiny purchases like water, ice cream, hot dogs etc. They do not spend any money. Chinese tourists are "parasite-tourists". They use infrastructure etc., but they do not contribute to it at all.

So stop feeling sorry for them. They bring NOTHING at all, as tourists.

Edited by Chaaang
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Chaaang said:

Well... "not well traveled"... in order to get out of China they need to get an approval from PSB (Public Security Bureau). That's why we mostly see retired people. PSB have no problems with them, and let them go abroad. As for a younger generation, it's a way more complicated. Also, why do they use "travel agency packages", - because 99.99% of them do not speak English, or any other language. That's why they cannot do any solo trips.

They are not taken advantage of, they just agree to what is offered to them.

But there is a problem... those "tourists" DO NOT make any contribution to the economic of the country they visit. They eat at chinese restaurants (specifically built for them). Last year I visited Salzburg, a small town... and... they do have a restaurant built for those chinese tourists. They don't go out to explore town, and do some tiny purchases like water, ice cream, hot dogs etc. They do not spend any money. Chinese tourists are "parasite-tourists". They use infrastructure etc., but they do not contribute to it at all.

So stop feeling sorry for them. They bring NOTHING at all, as tourists.

Absolutely rubbish have another chaaang.

• Haha 2

And to add to my comments what I posted before, every country has it's own culture,

might it be be China or Thailand or any other country(British,German,Japanese,French,

or name what ever you like) so stop bashing. Yes I do not like certain comments but

at the end of the day we are all humans.

18 hours ago, Yinn said:

My gang plan to go Phuket town this weekend. But cancel the trip, same reason everyone same. 

A lot of TVF thread about Coronavirus. Have a lot of people imagine this a problem because Thailand. Some blame “Thailand”. Want “Thailand” pay for hospital etc. 

some blame “Thainess”

Same posters that always complain and mock the successful Thai tourism, look like they enjoy this problem. 

Is a disease from foreigner. Is NOT a thai disease. NO tourist or Thai die in Thailand because this.

It is problem for Thailand because we are popular Chinese tourism. Other countries popular also have problem. Chinese most important tourist in the world. 

eg Australia popular place for Chinese tourism. Maybe because “Aussieness”? Or not? 

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/wuhan-coronavirus-tourism-impact/index.html

Sure, it will be low tourism now because of Coronavirus. The Chinese stop coming and the other people foreigner and Thai are scared. 

Calm down.

"Chinese most important tourist in the world."... Well... Although this statement perfectly represents the current trend, it sounds more like "Chineseness" than anything else to me. Do you really think that small businesses in Thailand enjoy the benefits of "the successful Thai tourism" nowadays?

Edited by HelloWelcome77
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

So if you travel to Thailand do you speak Thai,travel to Russia you speak Russian? Go back to your Chaaang

I don't think you need to speak that many languages to travel around the World. I agree that speaking Thai while being on vacation in Thailand is optional. However, a bit of basic English sometimes helps for basic needs. This is particularly useful for independent travelers and (I must admit) not tourists who are part of tour groups, since those DO NOT need to speak to anyone, apart from their co-travelers and tour guides. 

I have seen lots of angry Chinese shouting at staffs in their own language, caus' the poor low-paid THAI employees couldn't understand their requests in Chinese. Had those "quality tourists" made the effort to say a few words in English, things would have gone way better.

2 minutes ago, HelloWelcome77 said:

I don't think you need to speak that many languages to travel around the World. I agree that speaking Thai while being on vacation in Thailand is optional. However, a bit of basic English sometimes helps for basic needs. This is particularly useful for independent travelers and (I must admit) not tourists who are part of tour groups, since those DO NOT need to speak to anyone, apart from their co-travelers and tour guides. 

I have seen lots of angry Chinese shouting at staffs in their own language, caus' the poor low-paid THAI employees couldn't understand their requests in Chinese. Had those "quality tourists" made the effort to say a few words in English, things would have gone way better.

so tell me how many Thais do have a knowledge to talk to English

16 hours ago, cameraman888 said:

I think Thailand better think again about promoting getting mostly Chinese tourist. They seem to not want us from the west any more even though that is how they made their economy what it is. Diversity is basic business but who are the people running Thailand??  All one eggs in one basket and then it falls, then what?  I hope they realize all this, I say this because I like Thailand, but they have not treated me well when I come once a year because 3 years ago I was in and out on visas. 

Chinese are only one third of all tourists. The largest single group, yes. But there is still another 70% - the question is whether these countries will continue to come to Thailand. 

• Thanks 2

On 2/2/2020 at 5:19 AM, rooster59 said:

But China this week imposed restrictions on all overseas tour groups because of the coronavirus that originated in the city of Wuhan and which has infected more than 11,000 people and killed more than 250.

While Thailand still extends a welcoming hand for the sake of profit & friendship!

8 hours ago, Chaaang said:

Well... "not well traveled"... in order to get out of China they need to get an approval from PSB (Public Security Bureau). That's why we mostly see retired people. PSB have no problems with them

yes very true - lets not forget China is a communist country - the few that have been living abroad escaped - now they can travel in tourist groups, when they come to Thailand they are on a set crafted tour of gouging and being ripped off, they are guided through pattaya like we don't even know they are there except for the buses stopping at various venues around the city - places were we do not go, we see them being herded onto boats at Bali port in the hundreds all following like lemmings - that is not tourism like anything I have seen in all my life and I have travelled a lot

Yes we used to have Club med etc years ago but if you wanted to do your own thing no problem - these people are treated like infants on a school trip - counted onto the bus and counted off - counted across the road - counted into the restaurant and counted out - that is what they are used too - being herded and controlled - ah this is a holiday - it is exploitation of people who don't know any better - that is what it is and shameful Thailand are sucking them dry - it is bordering on traffiking - I have seen sheep herded like this but they don't have to pay for it

Edited by smedly

5 hours ago, smedly said:

yes very true - lets not forget China is a communist country - the few that have been living abroad escaped - now they can travel in tourist groups, when they come to Thailand they are on a set crafted tour of gouging and being ripped off, they are guided through pattaya like we don't even know they are there except for the buses stopping at various venues around the city - places were we do not go, we see them being herded onto boats at Bali port in the hundreds all following like lemmings - that is not tourism like anything I have seen in all my life and I have travelled a lot

Yes we used to have Club med etc years ago but if you wanted to do your own thing no problem - these people are treated like infants on a school trip - counted onto the bus and counted off - counted across the road - counted into the restaurant and counted out - that is what they are used too - being herded and controlled - ah this is a holiday - it is exploitation of people who don't know any better - that is what it is and shameful Thailand are sucking them dry - it is bordering on traffiking - I have seen sheep herded like this but they don't have to pay for it

You may think you have travelled a lot but if you haven’t seen busloads of tourists of ALL nationalities, then I wonder what sort of travelling you have done. 
Group travel is still the bulk of outbound tourism from Asia. It has many advantages over FIT travel, offering the best bang for your buck. Thousands upon thousands of people rely on group travel for their livelihood. It would be nigh on impossible for all but the most experienced of international travellers to travel around Europe on their own and the costs will be extremely exorbitant, unless they travel as backpackers. 
‘Don’t knock something you have no knowledge about. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 5:46 AM, smedly said:

you know what is funny 

Chinese are not well travelled people - they are brought here on very well fine tuned packages - plane - bus - hotel - bus - eating - bus - hotel - rinse repeat, being ripped off at every opportunity possible - they think it is all normal because they don't know any better - they are herded everywhere - charged a fortune and after 10 days shipped off home thinking - well that is what a holiday is...……..they have no concept of travel

That reminds me of the Japanese tourists to Canada 40yrs ago,exactly same context but were just exposed enough for the local merchants in Vancouver to be rake them over the coals,times were good...now they own everything!

17 hours ago, HelloWelcome77 said:

I'm a bit confused. Could you please translate to English? Or maybe Chinese (I'll use Google Translate, then)?

Seems clear enough to me. China has, what was it? 130 million tourists taking international holidays? How many countries have a population that big? USA may get 2nd place, just because it has a large population. It may come as a surprise but Europe as a whole is responsible for about 50% of world tourism -but of course spread across many nationalities.

On 2/2/2020 at 2:09 PM, bkk6060 said:

Your evaluation and comments are not all true.

Plenty of Chinese not part of what you are describing.

Mostly younger staying in condos 1000's of them everyday especially in Pattaya. At The Base alone, I would guess 200 a day coming and going. Add just Unixx and Centric and it is many many more.

Coming here 2 or 3 together lots of females not part of any tours or being herded.

Totally agree. I live most the year in New Zealand where friends own Air BNB's and their biggest customer group which has evolved just in recent years is Chinese who are touring the country in rental cars. Not groups, just 1 or 2 cars. These just aren't young Chinese either but of all ages.

On 2/2/2020 at 6:19 AM, FarFlungFalang said:

They are not the only country that have inexperienced travelers that choose the group tour option.Chinatowns all over the world will show that Chinese have a long history of traveling.

China towns in USA are a result of them being brought in as slave labor. Suspect that is true in many countries 

On 2/2/2020 at 6:59 AM, Yinn said:

some blame “Thainess”

Calm down.

Australia like the USA has banned Chinese tourists because they care more about the health of their people than Chinese money.

2 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

Australia like the USA has banned Chinese tourists because they care more about the health of their people than Chinese money.

Even more likely is that it's part of the government's propaganda that they are protecting what Morrison calls his "Quiet Australians" from those dirty, filthy, disease-ridden foreigners - what's known as "dog whistling"

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 11:51 PM, White Christmas13 said:

Nonsense, it has been established that the virus was introduced by a person

visiting and eating at the market.

Eating what? Considering  they were selling bats and snakes and what not

• Like 1