17 Surat Thani students fly back from Hubei, test negative for coronavirus

rooster59

17 Surat Thani students fly back from Hubei, test negative for coronavirus

By The Nation

800_97755da83dea499.jpg

Seventeen students from Surat Thani Technical College, who were doing a high vocational certificate course in electronics at Xingtai Polytechnic College in Hubei, China, arrived at Surat Thani International Airport on Saturday (February 1) at 9.20am.

They flew by Thai Smile Airways after being allowed to travel back to Thailand on the night of January 31. They were tested for the new coronavirus at Beijing International Airport and Suvarnabhumi Airport but none of them tested positive.

Teshit Hanrattanakon, a student, said that eight students were still waiting for the government to pick them up from Wuhan as China had already closed the city, while 30 students in Chongqing who had graduated returned before the virus outbreak.

The parent of one of the students said they were relieved the children were able to return home safely without being held in quarantine in Bangkok. He thanked the lecturers at Surat Thani Technical College for coordination and taking good care of their children.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381429

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-02

15 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

Of all the countries and territories with double-digit number of cases, only Thailand has reported 0 increase in the number of cases ???? ... either Thailand is really good, really lucky or completely unaware

Thailand really good.

https://www.straitstimes.com/sites/default/files/attachments/2019/10/29/st_20191029_skinfect_5214565.pdf

8887692E-6312-4CC2-992C-363C92BE578B.jpeg

Edited by Yinn
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

Of all the countries and territories with double-digit number of cases, only Thailand has reported 0 increase in the number of cases ???? ... either Thailand is really good, really lucky or completely unaware

The number of cases did increase, from 14/15 to 19 recently. 

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

No need for quarantine here with everything 100% under control hopefully everyone is still smiling in 14 days time???? 

Actually the odds of them having the virus is extremely low. Firstly, 17 out of a population of 6 million (assuming reports that 5 million left before the lockdown). Secondly, most Thais tend to stick among themselves and not mingle too much with others (except for the bargirls). 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

They were tested for the new coronavirus at Beijing International Airport and Suvarnabhumi Airport but none of them tested positive

Nope.   

They were not tested for Coronavirus!  

Not unless they have a PCR DNA test machine at the airport and they waited 1-2 days for the machine to sequence and compare the DNA sample from their saliva or mucus with the known sequence of Coronavirus DNA.

I think what the article is referring to is....

A THERMAL SCANNER TEST, which can't detect Coronavirus because it's mostly afebrile since it takes 7 to 14 days to show symptoms, such as fever.

Doh.

raw.gif

Edited by SiSePuede419
Added link about Coronavirus being mostly afebrile
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, neeray said:

I'll give this one to you Yinn as long as "true" facts/statistics are being put forth.

The Economist is a well known British publication.  Do you have any evidence to the contrary?

Thailand has a great health care system.  ✓

I'd rate Chiang Rai public hospital above rural American facilities, which tends to have the dregs of medical graduates, because the smartest ones all head to the big cities where they can make $$$$ to pay back their huge student loan debt. ????

Edited by SiSePuede419

Oh, swampy has RT-PCR biolab handy do they? Because that's the only test available. Not to mention the backlog for Thailand was nearing 300 cases. 

The "test" was probably walking through a thermal scanner. The virus is contagious when asymptomatic. Welcome to Thailaaan, even Chinese viruses are welcome.

One would hope they would now have the good sense to selg-quarantine for 14 days, but .. Thailand, maibpenrai.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

They have a huge backlog of cases to test because they either don't have the facilities, or are deliberately blocking the results.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

There are 313 cases in which laboratory results are pending.

Hard to get the confirmation count up when you aren't doing the testing.

Edited by DrTuner

4 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

Make no mistake. Thailand are super good at "numbers". So good that the virus can simply not spread here. And also you underestimate the power of amulets.

Edited by khunpa

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Thailand has a great health care system.  ✓

I have had the pleasure of visiting both their public hospitals and private ones. 

Let me say it like this: After visiting the public hospitals, I will never ever forget to not pay my health insurance on time. 

At least in Indonesia they have the foresight to quarantine returnees for 14 days once repatriated.  I guess they don't have a magician, politician, general, at the helm who has everything 100% under control!  I understand it takes about 10 days for the symptoms to appear so quarantine makes a lot of sense.

On 2/2/2020 at 2:04 AM, khunpa said:

Make no mistake. Thailand are super good at "numbers". So good that the virus can simply not spread here. And also you underestimate the power of amulets.

Also, didn't whats his face recently say that Thailand is safe from coronavirus, and that directly before the number of reportedly infected people was announced.  That was about the time he reported that there was no major pollution problem.  I agreed with that because he live, works, and travels in an air-conditioned environment.

'nuf sed.