60 day visa to thailand refused entry without return ticket

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Better be quick then. The following was only posted yesterday pointing out fresh caps on how many times you can pretend to be a tourist in Vietnam. It already has about 11 pages of righteous indignation, shock and talk of coffin nails.

As a Brit I can be a tourist in Vietnam for 2 weeks with no VISA at all, as many times as I like (as long as I'm out for a month between visits).

I go so often they've hijacked the last pages of my passport, so they can keep all the stamps together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I know you're a fountain of knowledge with any visa cases, but are you sure?

I know from a friend who recently came to Thailand with a SETV from Austria. There at checkin they would not let him board because he had no return/onward ticket.

Fortunatelly his brother - living in Thailand - already had bought two tickets to Laos which he had to email in the middle of the night to his brother waiting at the Vienna airport.

Without that he would have been denied.

Yes but that's not immigration. The airlines will not issue boarding pass to someone without a visa and onward flight.

I realize the OP has a setv. The airline would not ask for onward ticket as to obtain a setv you need show flight into Thai and also onward flight as part of application (not everywhere). Bit surprised your friend was asked for onward flight. 

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

As a Brit I can be a tourist in Vietnam for 2 weeks with no VISA at all, as many times as I like (as long as I'm out for a month between visits).

I go so often they've hijacked the last pages of my passport, so they can keep all the stamps together.

I always wonder why UK was added to list of countries VE to Vietnam few years back. USA, AU, NZ, Canada to name a few are not. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes but that's not immigration. The airlines will not issue boarding pass to someone without a visa and onward flight.

I realize the OP has a setv. The airline would not ask for onward ticket as to obtain a setv you need show flight into Thai and also onward flight as part of application (not everywhere). Bit surprised your friend was asked for onward flight. 

Do I understand you right:

If you apply for a TV you have to show them a return/onward ticket?

6 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Yes that's correct. I notice you posted re Thai consulate in Hamburg. For some consulates a bus/train ticket won't cut it.

I also note that the OP had a setv but no onward flight, so clearly it occurs.

Personally I have only applied for setv at Saigon consulate. Clerk wanted to see onward flight. I showed on phone which was useless as she needed hard copy for application. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

In Belgium (my home-country) when applying for a Single Entry Tourist Visa you need to provide copy of a return-flight.  Not needed when you apply for a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

i will. say in the new visa aplicaton they ask for return flight details i provide entry flight detailes and leave it. blank and the visa is granted every time 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, padoo said:
1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

How much time did you spend in Thailand last year?

about 5 months

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

You live here, so should ideally have an extension of stay. Immigration is correct, you're not a tourist.

5 months does not make him a resident, it doesn't even qualify him as a tax resident

1 minute ago, padoo said:

i will. say in the new visa aplicaton they ask for return flight details i provide entry flight detailes and leave it. blank and the visa is granted every time 

but the final say is up to immigration and the officer was not backing down 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, padoo said:

In many consulates a print out of CONFIRMED flight is required, not random flight details or leave blank.

1 hour ago, padoo said:

i dont believe that

Mate of mine from Sydney was pulled up at BKK after being to Thailand on his 4th tourist visa in one year, on that particular 4th tourist visa he went to KK for the weekend with his then Thai girlfriend, when they returned to connect flights to Phuket where he was staying at (hotel) and his return flight was out of a few days later, they said, you can't come in, you have been in the country on a tourist visa 4 times, no more that 4 is allowed in one year (apparently), he paid I think from memory 1,000 baht and they let him go, he made his way to Phuket and departed when he was supposed to, i.e. a few days later.

I believe you can come and go from Australia as many times as you like, the same from KL, but maybe not for an Aussie ? 

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Time to sell your condo and get a new G/F in Vietnam 

A similar thing happened to a friend of mine also Aussie when he landed in Phuket he's not coming back

Get up to speed, as of July for Vietnam its max one month then have to leave and return...expensive and very inconvenient

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

1. i always have an exit ticket. just in case. if the op had an exit ticket to begin with here i wonder if he would have gotten in??????????  secondly.  if he immigration officer refuses him.  can he go to a new line in immigration and try again?

they pused me to one side of the counter served everyone else and retained my passport then made me book a return ticket or go to a holding room 

• Like 1

we have had a visa granted for her to come and stay with me in australia for one year but must exit my country every 3 months the marriage aplicaton is complete and will be submitted next week we have had all the medical checks done 11 months ago and we have been traveling together between countrys i get the tourist visa because she needs me to help her get flights no english reading skills i showed the officer the visa grant but it meant nothing to her 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Just incorrect info on a honorary Thai consulate website.

A ticket out of the country is only needed for a visa exempt entry.

Then let's try it with the Thai Embassy's german website.

Related to SETV they write about the requirements:

[...]

"Kopie der Flugbestätigung oder der Flugtickets (Hin- und Rück- oder Weiterflug)"

[...]

Translated: Copy of flight confirmation or the tickets ( go and return or onward)

http://german.thaiembassy.de/visaarten-und-erforderliche-unterlagen

Edited by JustAnotherHun

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Just further proof that it was bogus denial of entry.

I do get a little tired of people saying people are not tourists as well. Nothing wrong IMO with people staying here on tourist visas as long as they are not working here or involved in some other nefarious activity. They bring money into the country and probably helpt to keep many Thais employed.

I think some people staying here on long stay visas and extensions are a little jealous of people being able to stay here without getting those visas and extensions.

I think in general many of the people who makes those posts are just hypocrite's who do not want other foreigners to stay in a place they enjoy. I imagine many of them were here staying when the rules were very relaxed and then ended up married or old enough to get a easy retirement visa. Now they want to give everyone who's doing what they once did(spending half the year on TV's in a great country) a hard time. 

As far as OP yeah they shouldnt ask you for a flight ticket out if you had a TV since you already had to show the consulate at home that. You just randomly walked into the line of the wrong IO. Thats the problem here is theirs no rules on how long you can stay in  a year. You arent breaking any real rules.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

its easy to marry in thailand and get a visa to visit your wife but that does not give her an opertunity  to live permently in my country we prefer to live in australia and we are just trying to stay together and i am sure once the aplicaton is submitted to australian government next week  i will be able to apply for a different visa 

Edited by padoo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, padoo said:

i dont believe that

this is the beginning of many more troubles to come, they gave you a warning, think about it, IMO here doesn't joke/bend rules anymore unless thick very thick envelope, we had Big joke now Big ound, next? all bets are on

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, lovesthespicy said:

[...]I imagine many of them were here staying when the rules were very relaxed and then ended up married or old enough to get a easy retirement visa. Now they want to give everyone who's doing what they once did(spending half the year on TV's in a great country) a hard time. [...]

Why should I or anyone want to give a hard time to those on back to back TVs? For what?

I'm one of those who came to Thailand when it was very relaxed. Back to Back TVs as many as you wanted. One time I even did not exit the country for a new TV. You just gave your PP to a travel agency and after a while it came back with a Thai exit stamp, a Malaysian entry and exit stamp and a brand new double entry TV from Penang. I got my first retirement extension at the age of 43.

But these times are long gone. Rules have changed and we have to accept it, if we want ot stay here long time.

• Like 2