60 day visa to thailand refused entry without return ticket

49 minutes ago, seajae said:

some io's are just f*** heads, I have had them run me through hoops even being on a marriage extension and having a re entry permit, they are simply too full of themselves and think they are more than they actually are. Until the head honcho makes them follow the law as it is written rather than how they want to enforce it, it will continue

My all time howler occurred when I was too young for a retirement visa & had to rely on the married extn. I presented several photos when that particular goalpost loomed into view; inc 1 showing Me, Wife and toddler no1 & another showing Me, Wife and tottler no2;

"Not good enough, must have all 4 in same photo" declared Mr important.

"Who do you think took the bloody photo?" said I through gritted teeth.

Common sense did eventually prevail, but you couldn't really make this up ????

Edited by evadgib
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Many people here believe that Legislation (Law) is the only written tool that can be applied in decision making.

However, there are also Regulations, Policies, Guidelines, etc. that are approved at high level, are based on the Law, and designed to clarify the intent and process of the law.

Just because something isn't specifically written into law doesn't mean it doesn't exist as a rule or policy. 

"Laws are rules that are enacted by governing body, while regulation is the process of monitoring and enforcing the rules".

As usual, I will point out that Thailand, and some individual officers, don't always stay within any rules.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't think this is about onward flight.

Most likely related to how long you have been in Thailand. 

I have never obtained a setv in Oz however at many consulates a flight into Thailand and onward flight is required for setv.

Do not understand why imm would want to see previous pp. They would have your previous entries on computer. 

Our maybe not as easy to access as some people think?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Our maybe not as easy to access as some people think?

This is only a comment. I base my post on the experts such as ubonjoe. Think most of your entries on record. Different for Thai consulates.

I was surprised about year back. The io had made mistake on my stamp in until date. I always check and advise folk to do it every time. 

Anyway turned straight back. She had already realized she made error.

So I could see her computer screen. 

Was surprised to see my picture on entry side by side previous entry. 

Yes means nothing. I was surprised.

8 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

So it seems only logical to me that IF an IO asks you for the return flight and you can't show it, you may be refused.

Not all embassies or consulates require the ticket out to get the visa.

A Thai IO can only deny entry for specific reasons, there is no rule that somebody with a tourist visa requires a ticket out to enter the country, so an IO can't legally deny this person entry for this reason.

Edited by jackdd

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Not all embassies or consulates require the ticket out to get the visa.

A Thai IO can only deny entry for specific reasons, there is no rule that somebody with a tourist visa requires a ticket out to enter the country, so an IO can't legally deny this person entry for this reason.

Agree. My take is that consulates with border access perhaps don't require onward flight 

Can you give couple of examples of countries such as in EU or even Vietnam that do not require onward flight for setv. 

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Agree. My take is that consulates with border access perhaps don't require onward flight 

Can you give couple of examples of countries such as in EU or even Vietnam that do not require onward flight for setv. 

I can give you one, because this is where i usually get my visas from: The honory consulate in Essen, Germany

Just now, jackdd said:

I can give you one, because this is where i usually get my visas from: The honory consulate in Essen, Germany

Yes there was earlier post from guy from Hamburg. Don't think it's the norm but happy to be corrected. 

Mind you I think he posted onward was required but seem to be ignored. 

Do you have nearby consulate experience where it was not required? Cambodia, Vietnam, Loas, etc

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes there was earlier post from guy from Hamburg. Don't think it's the norm but happy to be corrected. 

Mind you I think he posted onward was required but seem to be ignored. 

Do you have nearby consulate experience where it was not required? Cambodia, Vietnam, Loas, etc

I don't know, getting a METV in Germany is easier than trying my luck in the neighbouring countries, so i haven't applied for a visa in those countries since quite a few years.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

Just now, jackdd said:

I don't know, getting a METV in Germany is easier than trying my luck in the neighbouring countries, so i haven't applied for a visa in those countries since quite a few years.

Just supporting your post.

I think some folk planning a bit of an ongoing stay in Thailand should really consider obtaining METV. 

My understanding is some of the requirements (such as job etc) can be flexible. It's going to give you ~ 9 months with planning. Then still border exempt entries up sleeve. 

Good plan.

10 hours ago, padoo said:

free legal aid has told me if we marry in thailand it makes the aplicaton with immi harder in australia 

That's not true.

Don't know why you're talking to Legal Aid about Immigration matters TBH.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

You are correct. There isn't one. So what is your point exactly?

It doesn't matter a jot what you or I think he is either. Based on what the Immigration Officer saw, the OP isn't what he considered to be a tourist. Furthermore, based on the surge of similar threads about being let in with a last warning or refused entry, it is their country and it is their rules.

In my opinion, the immigration officials ought to be enforcing the laws of Thailand, not making up their own rules on who ought or ought not to be admitted.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

In my opinion, the immigration officials ought to be enforcing the laws of Thailand, not making up their own rules on who ought or ought not to be admitted.

IO's in all countries are given wide discretion about who they admit - 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ventenio said:

The question is...

If you didn't own a condo, would you buy one today?  I'm guessing NO.

Hey, take my 3 million baht and...what?...I can't visit my own place and i can't even visit the country where I own property and have a gf?  oh, ok, mai bpen rai.  

Exactly the reason I buy nothing more than street food, beer, and short time in thailand.  Non citizens are ONLY conditional guests that can be denied entry into the kingdom with impunity.  Immigration has full power to do as they please.  My friends who bought here told me they bought with the acceptance they can lose everything at anytime...they know there is no such thing as investing here.

21 hours ago, padoo said:

i dont believe that

What you believe is not important. From the couple of posts I have read I also feel you are not a tourist, you  arrived without a ticket home for example. Owning a condo here is another example. Look for alternatives. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

In Belgium (my home-country) when applying for a Single Entry Tourist Visa you need to provide copy of a return-flight.  Not needed when you apply for a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa.

It seems odd this guy has a tourist visa, which requires an onward flight at the time of application, yet when he arrives in Thailand, no longer has it. Nevertheless he was admitted.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Time to sell your condo and get a new G/F in Vietnam 

A similar thing happened to a friend of mine also Aussie when he landed in Phuket he's not coming back

I would read up about the new visa rules coming into force July !st in Vietnam before selling your condo,if in fact they enforce the new rules a lot of the people who left Thailand for Vietnam are in for a hard time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

This treatment by an IO may not be legal or even fair but it certainly should't be a surprise to anyone. I've read dozens of accounts--on this very forum--of people warned or turned away because they do not satisfy the IO's idea of a tourist. "You're visiting your girl-friend? You're not a tourist. Get married" "You're here for months and not staying in a hotel? You're not a tourist. Get a retirement visa." This is not news. 

it was news to me we do tourist stuff 

(First Entry) Date of Arrival in Thailand _____________Flight No. ________ Date of Departure from Thailand _________ Flight No. _______ (Second Entry (For double – entries visas only) Date of Arrival in Thailand _____________Flight No. ________ Date of Departure from Thailand _________ Flight No. _______ Duration of Proposed Stay _______ days Signature ____________________ Date ______________ Attention to Tourist and Transit Visas Applicants I hereby declare that the purpose of my visit to Thailand is for pleasure or transit only and that in no case shall I engage myself in any profession or occupation while in the country. Signature _____________________ Date _____________

it states pleasure on the application and no profession or occupation 

PLEASURE a feeling of happy satisfaction and enjoyment.

TOURIST 

a person who is traveling or visiting a place for pleasure.

VISA APPLICATION FORM Royal Thai Consulate-General, Sydney Level 8, 131 Macquarie St. Sydney NSW 2000

19 hours ago, evadgib said:

My all time howler occurred when I was too young for a retirement visa & had to rely on the married extn. I presented several photos when that particular goalpost loomed into view; inc 1 showing Me, Wife and toddler no1 & another showing Me, Wife and tottler no2;

"Not good enough, must have all 4 in same photo" declared Mr important.

"Who do you think took the bloody photo?" said I through gritted teeth.

Common sense did eventually prevail, but you couldn't really make this up ????

Totally understand I have been through this same situation myself, different rules for different days depending on what pops into their minds

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, padoo said:

(First Entry) Date of Arrival in Thailand _____________Flight No. ________ Date of Departure from Thailand _________ Flight No. _______ (Second Entry (For double – entries visas only) Date of Arrival in Thailand _____________Flight No. ________ Date of Departure from Thailand _________ Flight No. _______ Duration of Proposed Stay _______ days Signature ____________________ Date ______________ Attention to Tourist and Transit Visas Applicants I hereby declare that the purpose of my visit to Thailand is for pleasure or transit only and that in no case shall I engage myself in any profession or occupation while in the country. Signature _____________________ Date _____________

it states pleasure on the application and no profession or occupation 

PLEASURE a feeling of happy satisfaction and enjoyment.

TOURIST 

a person who is traveling or visiting a place for pleasure.

VISA APPLICATION FORM Royal Thai Consulate-General, Sydney Level 8, 131 Macquarie St. Sydney NSW 2000

They are saying I am only getting pleasure from my girlfriend but this is small minded.

• Haha 2