60 day visa to thailand refused entry without return ticket

19 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Immaterial what you believe, it is what they believe, they hold the trump card (stamp)

i will be talking with them today because i am here for pleasure not work and on the visa application it states for pleasure only  

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, padoo said:

i will be talking with them today because i am here for pleasure not work and on the visa application it states for pleasure only  

First Entry) Date of Arrival in Thailand _____________Flight No. ________ Date of Departure from Thailand _________ Flight No. _______ (Second Entry (For double – entries visas only) Date of Arrival in Thailand _____________Flight No. ________ Date of Departure from Thailand _________ Flight No. _______ Duration of Proposed Stay _______ days Signature ____________________ Date ______________ Attention to Tourist and Transit Visas Applicants I hereby declare that the purpose of my visit to Thailand is for pleasure or transit only and that in no case shall I engage myself in any profession or occupation while in the country. Signature _____________________ Date _____________

it states pleasure on the application and no profession or occupation 

PLEASURE a feeling of happy satisfaction and enjoyment.

TOURIST 

a person who is traveling or visiting a place for pleasure.

VISA APPLICATION FORM Royal Thai Consulate-General, Sydney Level 8, 131 Macquarie St. Sydney NSW 2000

5 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

I think you mean you will be "listening" to them today and nothing will change.  They will admit you are right and they are wrong???  

Be prepared for many more pleasant experiences with their fellow co-workers if you try to explain to them their laws.  LOL

i need to know where i stand for future visits on a tourist visa if

i am required to show a return ticket so be it

if i can extend my visa an extra month or not 

if i can buy a return ticket for a month after my visa expires 

if i can no longer use a tourist visa 

happy to do what they want not trying to change the rules 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, evadgib said:

The very least the OP could do to prevent others being similarly inconvenienced if they're otherwise visa-compliant would be to formally complain via DFAT.

(One complaint on one occasion won't go anywhere, but a dozen or two from multiple complainants will have the desired effect very quickly. No ranting & keep it short & factually correct. HTH)

What is DFAT?

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

DFAT 

Visas for Australians travelling overseas

A visa is a form of permission for a non-citizen to enter, transit or remain in a particular country.

We do not issue visas for overseas travel and cannot provide definitive information on visas. Only the countries you plan to visit can provide up-to-date information about their visa requirements. For all countries, contact the nearest embassy or consulate of the country you intend to visit well in advance of travel. Not all countries have representation in Australia.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 9:09 AM, ChipButty said:

Time to sell your condo and get a new G/F in Vietnam 

A similar thing happened to a friend of mine also Aussie when he landed in Phuket he's not coming back

Same thing happned to me.  Oddly, After I just got an apartment.  Well really, my Thai roommate moved out so it became mine. 

The Condo or Apartment may be a trigger.  They cannot understand why a person would pay 12 months for a home when they can only use it 6 months a year.

In my case, it was cheaper than a hotel for 6 months.

And they get inconsistent about the 6 months also.  Sometimes 6 months last year is a trigger.  Sometimes its a caladar year (as Integrity Legal used to say) and sometimes it is a rolling 12 month period.  Sometimes it cannot be back to back. Or even with a 30 day separation. Whatever they make up at the time.

I am in Cambodia now on a 12-month visa.  Cambodia likes my money just fine.

23 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I know you're a fountain of knowledge with any visa cases, but are you sure?

I know from a friend who recently came to Thailand with a SETV from Austria. There at checkin they would not let him board because he had no return/onward ticket.

Fortunatelly his brother - living in Thailand - already had bought two tickets to Laos which he had to email in the middle of the night to his brother waiting at the Vienna airport.

Without that he would have been denied.

So that’s denied boarding, not denied entry.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, padoo said:

i need to know where i stand for future visits

Thai Consulates issue the visa in a foreign country; Thai Immigration decides if, when and how to implement the rules in Thailand. Thai Immigration is independent of Thai Consulates

• Like 1

21 hours ago, padoo said:

free legal aid has told me if we marry in thailand it makes the aplicaton with immi harder in australia 

Why would that be? Can't you also apply for that while both of you are in Thailand anyway and it's meant to be quicker or easier?

Edited by bbi1

10 minutes ago, Parker2100 said:

Same thing happned to me.  Oddly, After I just got an apartment.  Well really, my Thai roommate moved out so it became mine. 

The Condo or Apartment may be a trigger.  They cannot understand why a person would pay 12 months for a home when they can only use it 6 months a year.

In my case, it was cheaper than a hotel for 6 months.

And they get inconsistent about the 6 months also.  Sometimes 6 months last year is a trigger.  Sometimes its a caladar year (as Integrity Legal used to say) and sometimes it is a rolling 12 month period.  Sometimes it cannot be back to back. Or even with a 30 day separation. Whatever they make up at the time.

I am in Cambodia now on a 12-month visa.  Cambodia likes my money just fine.

Immigration wouldn’t know or care if you owned or rented a home. They’d only know if you told them.

They're concerned about you following the rules, but yes you’re right about one thing, they make up the rules as they go along.

Thailand won’t worry too much about you spending your money In Cambodia now.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It seems odd this guy has a tourist visa, which requires an onward flight at the time of application, yet when he arrives in Thailand, no longer has it. Nevertheless he was admitted.

Hi Jacko,
When he applied for an METV in his home-country, an onward flight is not required (which is logical as that Visa is meant to explore the region).

57 minutes ago, padoo said:

i need to know where i stand for future visits on a tourist visa if

i am required to show a return ticket so be it

if i can extend my visa an extra month or not 

if i can buy a return ticket for a month after my visa expires 

if i can no longer use a tourist visa 

happy to do what they want not trying to change the rules 

Just get a throw away ticket to a neighboring country.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

When he applied for an METV in his home-country, an onward flight is not required (which is logical as that Visa is meant to explore the region).

In that case (and I know this will be a huge surprise to everyone on TV) Consulates are publishing different rules. The Sydney Consulate has the same rule for both SETV and METV - "A copy of airline ticket indicating the date of arrival to and departure from Thailand" http://www.thaiembassy.org/sydney/en/other/96008-TOURIST-VISA.html

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2020 at 1:11 PM, padoo said:

i just got a new passport and they wanted to see my old one which i did not have 

Was having a brand new passport what made the IO "suspicious" and check further into your entries into Thailand via their computer? Did they also make a comment or ask why you had a new passport?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

The days of being allowed entry on incorrect visa or visa exempt are long gone. Anyone trying to bend the rules, or spending long periods of time here on tourist visa is a big risk now. It’s just not worth the hassle anymore.

The rules are not consistent.

But, you are right.  Its not worth the hassle.  Just go spend your money someplace else.

• Like 1

Buying a condo is a risky move unless you have a 20 years Thai Elite visa.

Even with a retirement visa I wouldn't invest in Thailand as they are changing the rules so often.

Better investing somewhere else and pay a rent with your dividends/interests.

Maybe it is a good time too to sell with the current strong baht.

The return ticket proof is a classic at many airports, not only Thailand.

It was luck for not being asked before. Usually airlines enforce that rule more often than the inmigration officers themselve because airlines have to pay the return ticket when the passenger is denied entry.

18 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Immigration wouldn’t know or care if you owned or rented a home. They’d only know if you told them.

They're concerned about you following the rules, but yes you’re right about one thing, they make up the rules as they go along.

Thailand won’t worry too much about you spending your money In Cambodia now.

They ask where you are staying on that little form you fill out before you get to the desk.

Did you forget?

• Like 1