60 day visa to thailand refused entry without return ticket

On 2/2/2020 at 10:57 AM, padoo said:

but the final say is up to immigration and the officer was not backing down 

"...the final say is up to immigration..."

Exactly, that is the point that so many overlook.  The competent official, i.e. the IO, has the discretion to decide if entry is allowed.  That's what IOs are there for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2020 at 11:05 AM, evadgib said:

The very least the OP could do to prevent others being similarly inconvenienced if they're otherwise visa-compliant would be to formally complain via DFAT.

(One complaint on one occasion won't go anywhere, but a dozen or two from multiple complainants will have the desired effect very quickly. No ranting & keep it short & factually correct. HTH)

"One complaint on one occasion won't go anywhere, but a dozen or two from multiple complainants will have the desired effect very quickly".

That's the problem, there aren't a dozen or so who have the problem, there's a small number who whinge here (usually, it turns out, unjustifiably) about it.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Sounds like you are living both in Thailand and USA!

No I am visiting Thailand and never work here. Go to the same places I like every visit , go to a new place or two every visit. I leave Thailand and come back after visiting a nearby country. In USA I work full time for six months , have a house and rental property , pay taxes. If you want to call me a visiting snow bird from Massachusetts it’s fine. We have a 6 month winter lol. I can prove this to Thai immigration easily. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/2/2020 at 3:05 PM, evadgib said:

The very least the OP could do to prevent others being similarly inconvenienced if they're otherwise visa-compliant would be to formally complain via DFAT.

(One complaint on one occasion won't go anywhere, but a dozen or two from multiple complainants will have the desired effect very quickly. No ranting & keep it short & factually correct. HTH)

How is life on Fantasy Island these days?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, El Matador said:

Buying a condo is a risky move unless you have a 20 years Thai Elite visa.

Even with a retirement visa I wouldn't invest in Thailand as they are changing the rules so often.

Better investing somewhere else and pay a rent with your dividends/interests.

Maybe it is a good time too to sell with the current strong baht.

The return ticket proof is a classic at many airports, not only Thailand.

It was luck for not being asked before. Usually airlines enforce that rule more often than the inmigration officers themselve because airlines have to pay the return ticket when the passenger is denied entry.

17 hours ago, mngmn said:

Strange time for Thai officials to be splting hairs about who is a tourist. Almost as if they won't rest until Thailand has no tourists at all.

Yes, the five or six who actually are denied entry and have to leave each year will make a huge dent in the figures!

On 2/2/2020 at 9:49 AM, ubonjoe said:

Can you supply any written rule that states he is not a tourist? You cannot do it since none exists.

Just a question, is there a written rule that states that a competent officer (IO) is not allowed discretion when deciding who is permitted entry?

3 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

She forced me to buy a onward ticket Bangkok to Pham Phen and told me I can credit it when I land in Bangkok.........high was total BS......it took Thai Airways over 30 days to issue hat credit.

Thai Airways gives a 100% cash refund for a cancelled flight?

Edited by JimmyJ

5 hours ago, Parker2100 said:
5 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Immigration wouldn’t know or care if you owned or rented a home. They’d only know if you told them.

They're concerned about you following the rules, but yes you’re right about one thing, they make up the rules as they go along.

Thailand won’t worry too much about you spending your money In Cambodia now.

They ask where you are staying on that little form you fill out before you get to the desk.

Did you forget?

They don't check up on what you write in that section when entering the country.

Did you forget?

Edited by Just Weird

6 hours ago, padoo said:

i need to know where i stand for future visits on a tourist visa if

i am required to show a return ticket so be it

if i can extend my visa an extra month or not 

if i can buy a return ticket for a month after my visa expires 

if i can no longer use a tourist visa 

happy to do what they want not trying to change the rules 

I doubt that obtaining a return ticket next time will help you. It was a spurious reason for threatening denial this time - the I.O. was simply not happy with the amount of time you've spent in Thailand and/or the amount of visits you make - they will just use another reason next time. That reason will probably also be spurious but what do you think you can do about it standing at the immigration booth?

If you are eligible, get a retirement visa, if you are not eligible and can afford it, get an Elite visa, marry your girlfirnd and get a Non O........whatever.  You probably haven't seen the screen the I.O. sees when you present your passport - all your entries on all passports together with notes made by I.O.'s are on the screen, your complete entry history. If you had a tough time this time it is very likely that you will have an even tougher time on your next entry and most likely will be denied - deal with it.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

and told me I can credit it when I land in Bangkok.........high was total BS......it took Thai Airways over 30 days to issue hat credit.

"...it took Thai Airways over 30 days to issue hat credit".

Not "total BS", then, if you got your refund.

What was the duration you stayed in Thailand for the whole of 2019? in my case, i stayed only a week each time i'm in town and leave thereafter. I've been in and out of BKK the past 2 years without any issues. I dont have a work permit if you are wondering....

5 hours ago, El Matador said:

Buying a condo is a risky move unless you have a 20 years Thai Elite visa.

Even with a retirement visa I wouldn't invest in Thailand as they are changing the rules so often.

Better investing somewhere else and pay a rent with your dividends/interests.

Maybe it is a good time too to sell with the current strong baht.

The return ticket proof is a classic at many airports, not only Thailand.

It was luck for not being asked before. Usually airlines enforce that rule more often than the inmigration officers themselve because airlines have to pay the return ticket when the passenger is denied entry.

On 2/2/2020 at 8:56 AM, padoo said:

no never worked in thailand they dont see me as a tourist 

How did you get your 60 days tourist visa in Australia without a copy of a return ticket or letter of itenerary?

This is from the Thai Embassy website in Canberra:

"Copy of an airline ticket indicating the date of arrival to and departure from Thailand or letter stating the itinerary/travel plan of the applicant."

Edited by Max69xl

15 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

How did you get your 60 days tourist visa in Australia without a copy of a return ticket or letter of itenerary?

This is from the Thai Embassy website in Canberra:

"Copy of an airline ticket indicating the date of arrival to and departure from Thailand or letter stating the itinerary/ travel plan of the applicant."

i dont believe its mandatory to show a return ticket the old form did not ask for it from syd embassy i just never filled in the return ticket section and they kept giving me the visa having a visa gives you a flexible return date  and the option to extend 30 days at the local immigration office   the new form is 1 year old now never had a problem in 3 visa entry's 

6 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

In period mid 2017 - mid 2019 I applied 3 times for an METV in my home-country (Belgium).  Never needed an onward flight (not on application / not on boarding / not on entering Thailand).

When I would have been asked, I would have googled 'onward flight' and bought a rental-ticket on-line (valid for 24-36 hours) which costs approx 10 US $.

One of the requirements at the Thai Embassy in Brussels states:

1 copy of the reservation of the flight tickets in and out of Thailand (at least forthe first entry for the METV)

I am surprised that the METV can be obtained without a flight ticket out of Thailand (for the first stay of 60 days) as some claim but I am not going to check every embassy and consulate requirements.

1 hour ago, rabang said:

One of the requirements at the Thai Embassy in Brussels states:

1 copy of the reservation of the flight tickets in and out of Thailand (at least forthe first entry for the METV)

I am surprised that the METV can be obtained without a flight ticket out of Thailand (for the first stay of 60 days) as some claim but I am not going to check every embassy and consulate requirements.

Almost every embassy in Europe requires a copy of a booked ticket in and out of Thailand. The same in the US. They also want proof of employment (from the employer). 

On 2/2/2020 at 3:21 PM, DrJack54 said:

Don't think this is about onward flight.

Most likely related to how long you have been in Thailand. 

I have never obtained a setv in Oz however at many consulates a flight into Thailand and onward flight is required for setv.

Do not understand why imm would want to see previous pp. They would have your previous entries on computer. 

Same reason they require lots of photocopies of documents to extend a visa when they have everything on computer- they are <deleted>.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 3:30 PM, ubonjoe said:

Just a bogus reason for denial of entry. A return or onward ticket is not required for entry to the country if you have valid visa of any kind.

Did they allow you to enter after you purchased the ticket? 

It is not one the reasons for denial of entry in section 12 of the immigration act.

Used to be one did not have to have exit flight for visa exempt entry, as many left overland.

Seems to me that the immigration is suffering from one of the diseases of bureaucracy and thinking they can do whatever they like, and to hell with the consequences for the unfortunate traveler.

I never went along with the TM 30 hysteria, but it does seem to me as though exit flights may be the next way they have chosen to make life as difficult as possible.

Perhaps if the corona virus stops Chinese tourists coming to LOS so few people will be arriving that ( hopefully ) they HAVE to see the light and sort their <deleted> out.

I loved Thailand, but absolutely loathed everything to do with immigration in the past 14 years.

• Thanks 1