I need a Plastic Surgeon in Bangkok

Ganador

My biopsy results show Basal Cell Carcinoma on my face (right cheek). Dermatologist recommends that I see a Plastic Surgeon in Bangkok. Anyone have any idea what the procedure and follow up would cost at a BKK public hospital such as Chulalongkorn. Any help and and advice appreciated.

Edited by Ganador
typo

Can not answer but at high end private hospitals would likely cost in the 20-30k range (although as male you might not require plastic surgeon) so likely would be a huge savings as basic surgery in government facilities is very inexpensive.  BCC is normally not fast growing (public hospitals can have long waiting lists for some cancer treatments - making them less than ideal for time sensitive procedures).  

I had a basal cell carcinoma removed from my forehead about a year ago. 

The procedure cost me about THB 10k but I didn't involve a plastic surgeon because I'm OK with a tiny scar on my temple.

How big is the carcinoma?

This was done at Chiangmai RAM hospital in Chiang Mai.

Edited by Bassosa

5 months ago I had a squamous cell carcinoma cut out from the side of my nose at the Phya Thai hospital 2 on Pahonyothin by their plastic surgeon. I was in surgery for 2 hours and the cost came to a total of 37,000 baht.

My regular skin doctor at the Mayo hospital ( Now Paolo Hospital 2 Kasetsart who first diagnosed me said he could remove it for around 10,000 baht but he didn't want to do it as he felt that since a nose is a very prominent feature it wouldn't look handsome to have an action man type scar running down the length of it.

True to his word, the plastic surgeon did a good job and the very large scar is now almost unnoticable.

A Basal cell carcinoma is not as bad as a squamous cell which left untreated can spread so needs attention and cannot be safely ignored.

Since your carcinoma is on your cheek a scar there would not look so bad so might not need the more expensive plastic surgeon. 10 years ago I had another squamous cell carcinoma removed from my cheek justin front of and a bit lower than my ear. Today , the scar is visible but not dramatically so.

P_20190904_200851_vHDR_On.jpg

P_20190925_152718_vHDR_On.jpg

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I've heard there is a premium method at Chula. Circumvent the line, better doctors. No idea if true.

They have had an after hours clinic for several decades - but you still have to register normally so best to have Thai speaking for that.  Once registered most will have some English I suspect (but have never used).

57 minutes ago, Denim said:

Since your carcinoma is on your cheek a scar there would not look so bad so might not need the more expensive plastic surgeon.

The lesion on my cheek is small but complicated, according to a PS I consulted in the Philippines earlier. She said some skin on my face would have to be "pulled sideways" to cover the wound... like two triangular flaps?

She quoted 45,000 pesos for her fee, and about the same amount for hospital theatre fees and follow up testing. All up around 90,000 pesos, or about THB 55,000 (approx).

In addition she requires pre-surgery blood tests, ECG, blood clotting tests ... and written permission from my cardiologist for me to stop taking some meds 7 to 10 days prior to procedure.

I am a registered member at Chula and so maybe its better to look for a PS there to do the job....

Edited by Ganador
typo

14 minutes ago, Ganador said:

She said some skin on my face would have to be "pulled sideways" to cover the wound... like two triangular flaps?

Yes that is normal as they use a wide margin removal so a much larger area than the actual visible part (to be sure all malignant cells are removed).  That price seems very high for both surgeon and OR as I have had many done here including OR on arms at 25-35k all inclusive (but 3 years ago so may be a bit more now).