Cocktail of flu, HIV drugs appears to help fight coronavirus: Thai doctors

webfact

2 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Now we will have no doubts anymore..... 

Thailand takes the leadership in Medicine. 

It's just a hub of science and Intelligence ????

We shall all rest so much better with that endosement 

1 hour ago, dallen52 said:

Good news 11am 03/02 on the box, is that Italian scientists have isolated the virus and will share the results with the rest of the world...

Is that similar to what occurred in Australia a few days ago as reported here?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-29/wuhan-coronavirus-created-in-australian-lab-outside-of-china/11906390

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

Can farangs find anything positive about Thailand? Nowhere did they say it was a cure , and used the qualifier "seems too" , What is so bad about that? It seems pretty reasonable to me that they would report their experience so far, but make no claims other than what the saw so far.

All this negativity is really annoying. 

I understand your frustration about the negativity about Thais and Thailand....but this is not how drugs and treatments are developed. You do proper controlled of compassionate use protocols and wait until the study is finished before announcing the results to the public. 

This is anecdotal evidence, and anecdotal evidence only...it has little or no scientific value other than to formulae an hypothesis that one can then test in a proper study.

The other thing is that the Chinese have been using antiretrovirals for a few weeks already. This our top makes out that Thailand has actually done something novel, which is not actually true.

There have been reports that the new coronavirus has genetic and protein components of the HIV virus, so the use of anti-retrovirals could represent a treatment approach. Sadly, if this is the case then the virus is man-made and probably part of a biological weapons program, released either accidentally by the Chinese or intentionally by a foreign power trying to injure the economy and bargaining power of China.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, China must only be counting cases for those that they know of, that are reporting to a doctor/hospital, but I've not seen any stats for those that have recovered and gone home or how many cases are actually Active.

I spoke to my son in England yesterday and said that I couldn't believe that there were still only 19 cases in Thailand. He said that he read somewhere that numbers are being withheld until the 9th Feb, which coincidentally marks the end of the Chinese N Y.

Does anybody really give a toss about the people living in this country?

Edited by delgarcon
I meant to quote the person that I was answering

13 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I understand your frustration about the negativity about Thais and Thailand....but this is not how drugs and treatments are developed. You do proper controlled of compassionate use protocols and wait until the study is finished before announcing the results to the public. 

This is anecdotal evidence, and anecdotal evidence only...it has little or no scientific value other than to formulae an hypothesis that one can then test in a proper study.

The other thing is that the Chinese have been using antiretrovirals for a few weeks already. This our top makes out that Thailand has actually done something novel, which is not actually true.

There have been reports that the new coronavirus has genetic and protein components of the HIV virus, so the use of anti-retrovirals could represent a treatment approach. Sadly, if this is the case then the virus is man-made and probably part of a biological weapons program, released either accidentally by the Chinese or intentionally by a foreign power trying to injure the economy and bargaining power of China.

What a load....

For everyone with a brain who wants to know how this works, read top comment here: 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Krataiboy said:

Prevention is better than cure. Masks don't seem to work, so it's back to the good old amulet.

I'm surprised nobody hasn't yet suggested flying to China to get immunity. Unless you croak, ought to be bulletproof.

As usual lots of posting by people who failed to carefully read the article.

Nobody claiming to have cured Corona virus.

The same treatment is already being used in China. Not first done in Thailand. Also likely being done (for severe cases) in most other countries as well. 

It is only logical to try to treat patients who are critically ill with a viral disease with known antiviral dtugs.

The only appatent diffetence between what was already being done in China and what was done hete sounds like they may have used a higher dose on the Tamiflu. 

Only 3 patients thus treated, of whom one had an adverse reaction to the medication and 2 improved. Obviously way too few cases to draw any conclusions as the doctors involved cleatly state. 

Non story. Just the media being overly hungry for any morsel of info on the virus and hyping things.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Non story. Just the media being overly hungry for any morsel of info on the virus and hyping things.

They were publishing a paper, so looks more like a run for quick glory than media making things up.

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Nobody claiming to have cured Corona virus.

Read a headline on yahoo that claimed just that:

THAILAND CURES CORONAVIRUS.

How %^^$%^ irresponsible.....hw these cretins call themselves journalists

I'll never know.

Even a luddite like me knows you dont say such things until certain strict medical criteria

have been met.

• Like 1

It's not the medi al establishment making such claims. Just irresponsible journalism.

Yahoo and other social media  is not where to go for reliable news. For that try the NY times, Washington Post, Guardian, Economist, etc etc.

I would ask people to google "Thailand cure Coronavirus"  There are a few places that said they found a cure, or that they have successfully treated (cured) a patient.  I don't think it's unreasonable to do our normal comedy regarding news that we have no control over.  I don't think any of us actually thinks Thailand has found a cure.

Anyhow, it's just a wait-and-see......I'm going to Wuhan tonight to do some filming for my youtube channel.  I need views and likes!!!  Then i get sick and do patreon and gofundme and get a few weeks free....and this is how internet posting works.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

All natural apart from eating the bats!

there's nothing much 'natural' in what you get served up over in China... Bats would be just about the only thing they could not properly simulate

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Ventenio said:

google "Thailand cure Coronavirus"  There are a few places that said they found a cure, or that they have successfully treated (cured) a patient. 

whatever condition the patient(s) had,

was either something else;

or that the viral cycle they were undergoing simply ran it's cure -irrespective of what ever the Drs were really at a LOS what to do...

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

http://research.uga.edu/docs/policies/compliance/hso/Guidance-on-Emergency-and-Off-Label-Use-of-Drugs-Biologics-and-Medical-Devices.pdf

Off label use is totally fine in emergency situations, it is often even paid by insurance companies (cancer treatments etc).

I think, if you ever get this, you should refuse the doctors if they offer you this medicine. Just to make a point.

Please read what the OP wrote: "Rather, they had the opportunity to observe and to participate with the rest of the world in an ethical clinical trial. The Chinese published in Lancet and allowed for peer review."

And this is the headline:"Cocktail of flu, HIV drugs appears to help fight coronavirus: Thai doctors"

I think your post is irrelevant. They apply the drug because there was an emergency and they might save her live. But that was not published as so and nobody knows why the conditions improved. To many ?? to claim to found a drug "to help fight coronavirus"

@rabas  Excellent posts all of them outstanding work!!
I have some small knowledge about of bacteria infections which is highly depending on the concentration / amount of bacteria entering your body. You mentioned that "If only only one virus entering your lung you won't get infected." So that means a virus infection is also depending on the concentration / amount of microbes entering your system?
I assume that only because of this reason any mask would be useful.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

I would ask people to google "Thailand cure Coronavirus"  There are a few places that said they found a cure, or that they have successfully treated (cured) a patient.  I don't think it's unreasonable to do our normal comedy regarding news that we have no control over.  I don't think any of us actually thinks Thailand has found a cure.

Anyhow, it's just a wait-and-see......I'm going to Wuhan tonight to do some filming for my youtube channel.  I need views and likes!!!  Then i get sick and do patreon and gofundme and get a few weeks free....and this is how internet posting works.  

That would be like seeing an official news report on a story that says one thing, then going on to TVF and seeing some unsubstantiated opinions then thinking the TVF one must be correct

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Haecksler said:

I think your post is irrelevant.

I read elsewhere that there is connection between HIV and the Herbies virus.

Those who catch this virus can have it in the system for year rt some and that symptoms will manifest when the immune system is under stress. 

Two days ago, a paper published in the Biorxiv.org journal presented findings that indicated the coronavirus appeared to be engineered with “key structural proteins” of HIV. The paper, entitled, “Uncanny similarity of unique inserts in the 2019-nCoV spike protein to HIV-1 gp120

In any event we have to act on the advice. I try and minimise visits to public buildings, use of lifts etc.  Prudence is the operative word.  Hopefully we will see this latest viral scare die down as was the case with SARS.  But I would not dismiss it.   To would be foolish to do so,  Yes the greatest scare is pandemonium. 

Edited by OffshoreMig

Whenever there's an international health crisis, you can rest assured that some Thai quacks will come out, boasting that they've found a cure.

I recall, at the very least, Thai rabies and dengue cures. I'm just wondering why I don't recall any Thai Nobel Prize laureates, in medicine or in fact in general.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just found this interesting stat with 71% of the cases outside of China are/were male.

Age and conditions of Coronavirus cases 

According to the WHO Situation Report no. 7 issued on Jan. 27: 

• The median age of cases detected outside of China is 45 years, ranging from 2 to 74 years.
  • 71% of cases were male.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

11 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

That's really not going to reassure everyone - associate treatment for the virus to one of the most scariest/misunderstood illness's there is. 

So one of the most scariest ya however cancer more deathly than hiv ask ya self which would you prefer to have ☝????

5 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Whenever there's an international health crisis, you can rest assured that some Thai quacks will come out, boasting that they've found a cure.  

I recall, at the very least, Thai rabies and dengue cures. I'm just wondering why I don't recall any Thai Nobel Prize laureates, in medicine or in fact in general.

Don't forget the Thai scientist who said that Thailand had no reason to worry about rising sea levels resulting from any melting of the polar ice caps because Thailand is too far away

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

And meanwhile the virus might spread already and no updated numbers are out. This scares the s....t out of me.

I mean to be frank using logical thinking and common senses why on earth shouldn't this virus spread in Thailand knowing the given circumstances.

So please Thai Government make the right thing and inform the public about the current situation.