BANGKOK
webfact

Trump says U.S. has 'shut down' coronavirus threat; China shuns U.S. help

What's to stop the Chinese deliberately spreading the virus in the US to prove him wrong? It's a sinister and cynical thought but it did cross my mind. I am sure the Chinese don't want this virus to put them at a disadvantage in their power struggle against the US. Compared to cyber terrorism, the economic war and building up their military, it is a lot easier to level the playing field this way!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, tyga said:

What's to stop the Chinese deliberately spreading the virus in the US to prove him wrong? It's a sinister and cynical thought but it did cross my mind. I am sure the Chinese don't want this virus to put them at a disadvantage in their power struggle against the US. Compared to cyber terrorism, the economic war and building up their military, it is a lot easier to level the playing field this way!

If the Chinese were going to get into bio-terrorism, I suspect they would use a biological agent over which they have control.   Thus far there is no control of this one.   It's also not terribly lethal.   

I would be interested to find out just what assistance was offered to China?

If China does ask for help, the price should be clear: shut down the Great Firewall or you get nothing.

36 minutes ago, Credo said:

If the Chinese were going to get into bio-terrorism, I suspect they would use a biological agent over which they have control.   Thus far there is no control of this one.   It's also not terribly lethal.   

I would be interested to find out just what assistance was offered to China?

Probably access to AbbVie drugs on aftermarket conditions.

If you are curious, AbbVie is the company which combines both ingredients which have had an effect on the virus as claimed by Thai doctors overnight.

To be cynical, I was talking with my lovely lady (Thai) and we have realised it is one thing to steal and make modifications to innovation, it is quite another thing to actually understand the underlying mechanics to the degree required to steer it towards a different target (in this case, instead of targetted treatment against HIV, targetted treatment against the coronavirus.

For those happy to sling about the official Chinese Communist party line of "the flu is far more dangerous than this one", I would ask you this:

- The flu has a mortality rate of 0.13% as per CDC statistics (https://www.sciencealert.com/new-study-estimates-75-000-people-in-wuhan-infected-with-coronavirus)

- The flu has multiple varient mutations moving through the entire global population, which traditionally was more prevalent during winter and variants focussed on a single area. With globalisation, we now see multiple variants working in a single area and infections occuring in pockets outside of winter on a greater scale than pre-globalisation.

- The estimated mortality rate of the Coronavirus is somewhere between 2-3%. This is calculated by recorded deaths and recorded cases (14,700 as announced by China today). It is estimated there could be up to 70,000 infections in China, predominantly in Hubei and Tianjin with a single known variant. There have been unconfirmed reports of bodies being cremated without autopsy procedures being performed, meaning the death rate could be even higher.

If the Coronavirus mutated and formed into multiple variants, and agressively spread throughout the global population (around 7.7 billion people), it the scorecard would look something like this:

Deaths globally of influenza: 10.01 million

Deaths globally of Coronavirus type A: 231 million

The only reason that the coronavirus is not as deadly as the flu is that it has not had several hundred years to infiltrate the global population, and has only had 3 months inside the human body as hosts to mutate its' DNA chain to be most effective in mortality and level of infection ratios vs influenza.

This is big, they just don't want to admit it.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

" Concerns about the virus spurred the United States to declare a public health emergency and bar entry to foreign nationals who have recently visited China. "

meaning between 2010 and 2020.

3 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The US response has been one of the better organized and most effective. Unfortunately, the weak link is the country next door, Canada. It's response has been  weak. 

You should worry more about Mexico. They had a case that was only detected when he tried to enter the US border: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-mexico/mexico-reports-no-infections-after-one-person-with-new-coronavirus-visits-country-idUSKBN1ZW0OX

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TheGhostWithin said:

- The estimated mortality rate of the Coronavirus is somewhere between 2-3%. This is calculated by recorded deaths and recorded cases (14,700 as announced by China today). It is estimated there could be up to 70,000 infections in China, predominantly in Hubei and Tianjin with a single known variant. There have been unconfirmed reports of bodies being cremated without autopsy procedures being performed, meaning the death rate could be even higher.

It is rather early to determine the mortality rate of this coronavirus variant.  At this point scientists also believe that the rate is actually overestimated because so many of the infected experience very mild symptoms and don't report their infection to have it verified as coronavirus.  The long gestation period will also sway the early mortality calculation to the high side.

44 minutes ago, TheGhostWithin said:

The only reason that the coronavirus is not as deadly as the flu is that it has not had several hundred years to infiltrate the global population, and has only had 3 months inside the human body as hosts to mutate its' DNA chain to be most effective in mortality and level of infection ratios vs influenza.

This paragraph makes it sound like the coronavirus evolves/mutates with the express goal of becoming more lethal.  That is simply not the case.  The effect the evolution/mutation changes have on the virus's lethality is random.  However, the more contagious branches of the virus family tree will have a greater impact on the host population.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, URMySunshine said:

Since Trump has claimed success with stock market highs will he claim the failure when the market crashes when it opens later today as everybody rushes for the exit ?

If stock market crashes, it is merely a correction. The crash will come soon. The stock market is a big bubble of FED fiat money with little intrinsic value. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, mogandave said:

It’s not the help they’re shunning, it that with the help comes cameras and accountability.

Don’t need the cameras or Trump’s aid for national security reasons. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tyga said:

No need for that, time will do it already for them.