Video: Pattaya ghost town...Coronavirus decimates tourism as staff go home for high season

webfact

"Ghost town" is b.s.

I' m right back from Naklua road where I sat about 1.5 hours in Mai Thai, near Sot 18 including a little walk around.

It is quiet but not dead at all.

The terrasse of Bon Cafe was good visited by westerners as the a bit more expansive restaurants were.

I saw ONE asian tourist family, Koreans I suppose.

Most noticeable was the lack of (tour) busses. I saw four of them. Usually you can count a hundred or mor in one and half hours. It was like 5-6 years ago.

And - listen Anutin! - there were TWO young Thais wearing face masks.

I enjoy the moment.

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 8:20 PM, kinyara said:

Certainly doesn't seem representative of a noticeable decline in the western market as some would have us believe.

So, hospitality establishments in Jomtien are now an economy indicator as to how the Pattaya tourism industry is faring.  ????

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

So, hospitality establishments in Jomtien are now an economy indicator as to how the Pattaya tourism industry is faring.  ????

C'mon over the hill it's only 10 minutes in a baht bus, maybe 5 now that your non spending non contributing zero baht Chinese have disappeared from their Chinese owned/leased Pattaya air bnb's ????

On 2/7/2020 at 11:02 AM, Leaver said:

You would think that to be the case, but the Chinese tours go to Chinese owned establishments.  They don't mind charging their own people higher prices than the Thai's.  

Remember, the tour was paid for back in China and included flights, accommodation, land and sea transport, most meals, some activities, and some entrance fees.  It's too late for them to go to a different restaurant because it's cheaper, because they have already paid for the restaurant they are going to in their package.  

Of course, the profits from the whole trip remain in China.  Thus, zero baht tourism, but I have said, they create a lot of employment, and we are now seeing how important that is.  I have also admitted there's some profit to suppliers, but the lion's share of the profit are at the point of sale, the package holiday itself, which is Chinese owned and operated.   

I don't know from where the imagination of the profits remaining in China comes. I would suggest that it is the opposite.

They would seek to keep the money outside China, with their Thai partners happy to comply.

20 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

I don't know from where the imagination of the profits remaining in China comes. I would suggest that it is the opposite.

They would seek to keep the money outside China, with their Thai partners happy to comply.

I'll make it simple for you.

You are in Thailand and book an organized tour to, say, Bali. 

You walk into a travel agent in Pattaya and book and pay for everything in Pattaya. 

A Thai company owns the coach bus that transports you and your group around Bali. 

A Thai company owns the hotel you and your tour group stay at in Bali. 

A Thai company owns the restaurants you and your tour group eat at on your holiday. 

A Thai company owns the shops they take you and your tour group to for "authentic" Balinese products. 

A Thai company owns the boats that you and your tour group may board on your trip. 

The Thai tour operator negotiates with Balinese businesses for any activities and shows for the absolute cheapest price, or it's not included as part of the tour.

ALL of the above is paid for in Pattaya.  The agent forwards payment to either the same Thai company, or various Thai companies, for your holiday.

So, tell me, what do the Balinese see of your money for your holiday? 

On 2/3/2020 at 2:51 AM, bluesofa said:

Does that make it a buyer's market - or will the logic state that the price has now tripled to make up for the lack of victims?

yes logic states that those remainers have to pay for the leavers