Video: Pattaya ghost town...Coronavirus decimates tourism as staff go home for high season

webfact

27 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I have heard some of you on TVF making this claim, about putting all the eggs in one basket. I don’t understand how you all came to this decision. 

I have always said the Chinese market is a fickle one, and Thailand is about to see just how fickle it is.

• Like 1

Kilometers of pristine sand laid down especially for the tourists was empty. There were just a couple of farangs on the beach spoilt for choice for where to sit down.

What, Immigration missed two, quick get the BIB down and check their visas........      Som Nam Naa MF&^%$#

Beauty....Karma.jpg

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:
58 minutes ago, thequietman said:

I am sorry to say, but Som Nom Na Thai people.

One gets what ones sows, and all that. ????

I don’t think any Thai person cares about what you think or say. 

i can confidently say if you said that to the average Thai male you'd better run, and fast

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand, through extreme myopia, put itself into this position. By putting all of it's eggs in the basket of China, they opened themselves up to a tourism and economic tragedy of immense proportions. It was an inane decision, made by people with little to no experience in tourism, hired based on cronyism, or nepotism, and entirely without merit. When you reach for the bottom of the barrel, this is what you get. The Thai people are in for a world of hurt.

Tourism was already in a near crisis stage, due to an extremely xenophobic and racist administration. Now? I do feel bad for the common Thai. However, in a sense they allowed this to happen, by allowing the totally incompetent army to take over. The only solution now, is to get them out. Hopefully, the youth will rise up. The army is truly despised at this point in time. They are beyond useless.

This could be a good thing in the long run. 

Has Thaksin got any more family members left that can run at the next election?   ????

Edited by Leaver

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Don't you mean they stopped the sinking ship from sinking quicker?

I disagree.  Chinese tourists do not buy property, cars, motorbikes, TV's, white good etc.  They don't do week shops at Big C, for example.  They don't have a Thai partner, which is usually supported by the expat, which in turn supports a family in Issan.  They don't have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank, or bring in 65,000 baht a month, every month. 

An expat is a 24/7/365 part of the Thai economy, not a 2 week part of the tourism industry. 

Recover to what benchmark?  2010, 2012, 2014? 

Even the ones that can survive, are selling.  The "time will not be right" in the future because Thailand has out priced itself in the South East Asia tourism market.

Yes, the Chinese and Indian package holiday market will bounce back, but for westerners, the writing is on the wall here.

Said it years ago when they destroyed the thriving business on Suk soi 7, New wave bar and the restaurant next door packed everynight, but the level of racist stupidity took over and destroyed the place, including Cheap Charlies on Soi 11.........  Idiots.......  I'm laughing me plums off watching this lot make a real dogs B*&^%$ of the country........ Well done lads, let's hope you never have to fight a war because you couldn't run a bath.......  Mind you we all know the'd run away if they blundered into one....... Sad for Thai people.......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

So you think that telling a Thai ‘som nam na’ is going to endear you to them and cause them to change their ways? Good luck with that. 

I have no idea why you are addressing that comment to me , the som nam na post was dumb , your response equally so.

Edited by joecoolfrog
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Said it years ago when they destroyed the thriving business on Suk soi 7, New wave bar and the restaurant next door packed everynight, but the level of racist stupidity took over and destroyed the place, including Cheap Charlies on Soi 11.........  Idiots.......  I'm laughing me plums off watching this lot make a real dogs B*&^%$ of the country........ Well done lads, let's hope you never have to fight a war because you couldn't run a bath.......  Mind you we all know the'd run away if they blundered into one....... Sad for Thai people.......

I still miss the seafood restaurants opposite the beergarden , as you say packed all the time , still a wasteland today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I spent the last 30 years working for two of the biggest travel companies in the world. I’ve forgotten more about zero dollar tourism than you will ever learn. It’s guys like me that the press quotes at events like ITB and WTM. 

So, you have a conflict of interest.

What has trade shows got to do with "zero baht tourist?" 

• Like 1