Chiang Mai: Police act after sign at restaurant goes up stopping "Chinese and foreigners" due to virus

webfact

5 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

And we don't want xenophobes like yourself (and Trump etc) in Thailand, using anything like this as an excuse. Xenophobia, racism, and bigotry are far more harmful and dangerous than a virus which is now treatable with antiviral drugs and which most people will survive intact.  Go away and stay in your nice safe house full of white Aryans. 

And furthermore, you are sadly misinformed about antiviral drugs and this 2019 Novel coronavirus. It is very different from the corona OC43 and others.

Is there any doubt that there is a rather strong undercurrent of xenophobia in Thailand.  It’s everywhere from land ownership, opening a business to dual pricing at tourist attractions.  I guess what the authorities don’t like is going public with it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, banagan said:

The Chinese created this mess and are the ones spreading it, seems fair enough if a private business wants to deny them entry. Lumping all non Thais in, that's a bit dumb, but, if they're that paranoid...

Maybe it was not the Chinese who created this mess. Maybe the Americans created this mess who knows.. But I'm sure they will find out

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, twix38 said:

Absolutely fine. If I owned a restaurant I too would not want any section of the population who could kill me by passing on an easily transmissible virus. 

The racist, PC mob can get stuffed. Out of an abundance of caution I reserve my right and that of any staff to remove the risk at source not via an ineffective mask.

Or you could exercise you freedom of choice and simply close you establishment until further notice.

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

So as long as foreigners don’t eat at his shop everything is fine.

Yeah, I would think that is his way of looking at it. Not shared by many, but it would still be this owners way of thinking.

2 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

No, but as far as I remember the corosavirus came from China, did it not?

They are simply trying to be careful. I'm sure they would rather have tourists in their restaurant because that = Money  

Many years ago car manufacturers were able to get rid of the corosavirus. lol

Edited by hugocnx

6 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Hand washing ??after handling money and serving people is a start

But it's still fine to have food uncovered on the streets/malls/shops so anybody can sneeze over it.....welcome to Chailand.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

And we don't want xenophobes like yourself (and Trump etc) in Thailand, using anything like this as an excuse. Xenophobia, racism, and bigotry are far more harmful and dangerous than a virus which is now treatable with antiviral drugs and which most people will survive intact.  Go away and stay in your nice safe house full of white Aryans. 

VIRTUE SIGNAL!

AWESOME!

He's more gooder than all of you because he's not prejoodis. He only hates random White people.

• Haha 1

Corona is serious and spreading like crazy.

I fully support blocking Chinese for now and need to FULL STOP on any planes from china landing in Bangkok.

I have no problem with Chinese I have lived and worked there for 5 yrs.....   xbut ya cant put the Gorona Genie back in the bottle.......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, lensta said:

100% agree with you holy cow cm

I also agree. My wife and I came down with the swine flu in the 80's and for several days, even though we were fairly young and healthy, seriousy thought we might not survive it. We never missed the high dose flu vaccination since that day and are very careful when there is a chance of being around someone with the flu. We are both now 75 and probably could not survive this current strain. I would be happy to visit an establishment with this sign posted. It not only may protect the employees, but also unsuspecting customers.

Edited by jonnit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattd said:

Most International airports have lanes for their citizens, including European airports, with most having EU & Non-EU lanes, nothing unusual or wrong with this at all.

Totally agree, but I find it ironic that the police felt the need to step in and solve the problem, when after my experience yesterday, the airport immigration need a good shake up and lessons in customer service. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa notes that the actions of the restaurant are not dissimilar to the actions of governments around the world that have banned entry to Chinese travellers or even people who have been to China in the last fortnight. 

Among such countries are the US, Australia and Japan. 

Er.

6 hours ago, outsider said:

Going by the stupid owner/manager's logic, it seems that only Thais are unaffected and will never be carriers of this virus. Must be feeling quite good to be so superior, one assumes.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1