Chiang Mai: Police act after sign at restaurant goes up stopping "Chinese and foreigners" due to virus

webfact

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa notes that the actions of the restaurant are not dissimilar to the actions of governments around the world that have banned entry to Chinese travellers or even people who have been to China in the last fortnight. 

Great point.

Also, I don't see a problem with a business doing what it wants with its business. If they want to refuse potential customers, it's their right, but as usual, any government is the body of people who can tell you what you can and cannot do with your life/business

11 hours ago, jonnit said:

I also agree. My wife and I came down with the swine flu in the 80's and for several days, even though we were fairly young and healthy, seriousy thought we might not survive it. We never missed the high dose flu vaccination since that day and are very careful when there is a chance of being around someone with the flu. We are both now 75 and probably could not survive this current strain. I would be happy to visit an establishment with this sign posted. It not only may protect the employees, but also unsuspecting customers.

I think you missed the sign stating other foreigners apart from Chinese were not welcome either, so visiting it would be futile.

I am wondering how the proprietors can possibly think they are exempted from infection if they only serve Thais, because AFAIK Chinese tourists are still very welcome at any of Thailand's borders.

Surely  it is up  to the business  who they wish to sell to or not sell to. I won't  be accepting chinese customers.

Not  out of fear just because my business and i wont be told who i can and cannot serve. 

If don't like it can go  somewhere  else 

No  big deal.

I just dont like my freedom taken away.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I can fully understand the restaurant. We have an emergency and need to use emergency measures. It`s not about discrimination it`s about the duty to protect of all who are not sick. As they write, there is no difference to governments who block Chinese to enter the country which I personally totally support. If I have that shop, I will want to decide who I want to service and who not. And I would bear responsibility towards my other guests to not risk to infect them !

14 hours ago, DavidB1960 said:

They could start by making sure there was soap to wash your hands in the bathroom.

so true. and provide hand sanitizer to use, and make sure everyone really uses it, and cleaning tables and especially the menu that everyone touches...

Having witnessed Chinese visitors in restaurants spitting unwanted mouthfuls of food onto the table, I can understand why any restaurant would not want them.

Last week in Chiang Mai, a Chinese man was spitting the heads and tails of masticated prawns onto the table in front of him.  Other diners changed tables and moved away in disgust.  The restaurant owner presented him with the bill before he finished eating and told him to leave.

Well, I chose to decide on my own, who could dine in my place. You do not want Chinese customers in the first place, as most of them have never seen anything like manners.

Only once you've seen, how they leave a table behind, the way the (mis-)use toilets, never wash hands, fart, burp and belch all over the place while others are shouting at each other. Kids roam the place and play "hide and seek" - hence we politely turned them all away by claiming "no reservation and restaurant full". 

Rather no guests than that bunch of gone wilds! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jonnit said:

I also agree. My wife and I came down with the swine flu in the 80's and for several days, even though we were fairly young and healthy, seriousy thought we might not survive it. We never missed the high dose flu vaccination since that day and are very careful when there is a chance of being around someone with the flu. We are both now 75 and probably could not survive this current strain. I would be happy to visit an establishment with this sign posted. It not only may protect the employees, but also unsuspecting customers.

I quit getting the flu shot when I got out of the military in the mid 80s haven't had the flu ( knock on wood) 

1 hour ago, dave moir said:

Surly it is up to the restaurant if they want to put up signs! It's their customers they are losing!!!! 

not really yes it should be but that could be looked at as discrimination in the southeren us from the 60s back they had signs that said no coloreds and whites only or worse until the civil rights     

Er? Really?

On 2/3/2020 at 9:32 PM, Yinn said:

Thaivisa notes that the actions of the restaurant are not dissimilar to the actions of governments around the world that have banned entry to Chinese travellers or even people who have been to China in the last fortnight. 

Among such countries are the US, Australia and Japan. 

From your quote above, let me point something out to you: "... governments around the world that have banned entry to Chinese travellers or even people who have been to China."

The restaurant in CNX refused to serve both Chinese AND foreigners (never mind that foreigners were an afterthought) - regardless of whether they are from, or have been to China, or not. This is not the same type of ban imposed by US, Australia and Japan.

Not same same na.

Try to read AND understand before commenting?

And by the way, food for your thought - now that even Thais are infected, should this restaurant also stop serving Thais?

Edited by outsider

I've spoken to over twenty people in China this week, and they have all confirmed the same things. Their spring break holiday has been extended to keep people at home, restaurants have been ordered to close for the unforeseeable future, and the public have been urged not to venture out unless absolutely necessary. 

On 2/3/2020 at 11:42 AM, RJRS1301 said:

Hand washing ??after handling money and serving people is a start

When I went to immigration yesterday the officer was rubbing hand wash dry gel like crazy after handling a passport previously ... there are gels everywhere there..... surely it is not that contagious is it?????

2 hours ago, hashmodha said:

When I went to immigration yesterday the officer was rubbing hand wash dry gel like crazy after handling a passport previously ... there are gels everywhere there..... surely it is not that contagious is it?????

It has been isolated on door handles, and other surfaces, as many virus and bacteria do.

The biggest transmission of hospital acquired infections is through poor hand hygiene by professionals

I agree with the sign personally.

The ordinary, hardworking Thai people don't want the disease. Does anyone?

I wouldn't want a bus of tourists coughing and sneezing around my kitchen table. Does anyone?

If my daughter was working in a Thai restaurant I would have her out of there instantly. I wouldn't want my daughter exposed so close to tourists. Does anyone?