BANGKOK
david_je

Anyone actually succeeded in O-A to O (retirement) conversion trip recently?

Have you pursued insurance quotes?

Not vouching for the quality of the coverage, but —-

I was quoted visa qualified coverage for less than 50k a year.

• Thanks 1

And has anybody been turned back at the airport, as they are obviously not tourists and entitled to a Visa Exempt entry? 

1 hour ago, kbb said:

For a lot of people over 60 , switching Insurers upsets the apple cart.

Like me , they may well have signed up pre-60 in order to get an Insurance Co. to make a written agreement to cover them for life.

So any new Insurance for me is a waste , even of 50,000 baht.

And that 50k is well more than an agents fee . 

A further waste is seeing 800k for 5 months , and 400k Forever ( !! ) left in a Thai bank producing virtually nothing , when at home that money can be part of a good investment plan.

Im about 90k  p.a. better off using an agent .

But even my agent told me I could do as you described above and it works fine. Its just that by the time I took a trip and had the money in the bank I was out of pocket , then faced with a fare bit of dealing with Immigration at this time of the year as well.

Edited by zaZa9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kbb said:

OP don't want an insurance.

He wants to start all over again with a 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa + annual extensions. 

46 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Plus, of course, you'd still have to pay out of your own pocket for the treatment of any pre-existing medical conditions, or any complications caused by the pre-existing conditions to the treatment of new ailments.

And what about 'dangerous activities'? Most western policies, for example, don't provide cover for accidents from riding a motorbike, unless you pay (often quite a lot) extra. Do these Thai policies provide such cover as standard, or would you have to pay yet more money for it?

Every western insurance covers more than a thai insurance. If you read the fine print there are loads of exclusions in a thai policy regarding accidents. 

• Sad 1

OP > I have PM-ed you a comprehensive Roadmap outlining all details/options on how to convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

To access your PM messages, click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

47 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Switching to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa is surprising simple, and the requirements / conditions for a Non Imm O - retirement extension or an extension based on an original OA Visa for reason of retirement are EXACTLY the same.  But with the Big Difference that the Non Imm O - retirement Visa extension does NOT require you to pour money down the drain for the expensive and basically useless bogus thai health-insurance scam.

Have you actually switched from OA to O Peter? Did you leave the country with no re-entry permit, obtain the 30 day visa free and then apply? If no, then what did you do?

I extended my OA in November for 11th time and also obtained a single re-entry permit.  No problems. However, now l am returning to Aust in two weeks for one month. I go once or twice a year for health reasons (l have full Veterans Affairs health cover but only in Aust)

I'm thinking that l'll probably be stopped at Suvarnabhumi on my return because no Thai health cover and considering taking out a useless Thai 62,000 bht policy before l go, just to get me back onto Thailand. My thinking is then to leave Thailand again next Oct/Nov, let visa expire, return to Thailand and apply for O visa.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone that has actually done this which l think is what OP was asking.

2 hours ago, nightbird said:

Last month, I went to Penang and applied for a Non O. I brought all the documentation that is listed on their website(Penang Royal Thai Consulate). Doors open 9am. Dropped it off at the clerk's window and picked up the new visa the next day at 2pm. No questions were asked. Easy in, easy out. Just make sure you have everything that is asked for. No proof needed of funds coming from abroad. Only your bank statement, stamped by the bank, showing you've had at least 800K for more than 2 months. 

Did they ask for some sort of "proof", that you are retired?

If yes, what documents did you provide?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, traveller101 said:

Did they ask for some sort of "proof", that you are retired?

If yes, what documents did you provide?

Thai insurance is a scam ; I did it at Savannakhet, same as in Penang, but they ask a proof that we are  retired ; as for me, the affidavit from my embassy was enough

if no proof, no visa ( first time, I was denied O visa because I did'nt have this document ) 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1