How to get a tourist visa for the UK for a Thai National

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Agreed but seems strange given their reason for refusal before (see above).

So some good info and opinions from this post . It appears that the most important part of the application is that of " Reasons to Return " .  My partners cousin has no problems getting the UK visa , 3 times ,as she has been working in the same bank for 25 years .  Now my lady is self employed , own house and business plus supports her mother and 6 casual restaurant workers .   If that is not a good enough reason I am stumped again as the last refusal was they did not think she would return to Thailand .

How does a lady without assets provide convincing proof of return to Thailand ?   

I was told recently that being part of an organised trip using a known travel company is an easier process if a UK tour is all that is needed as opposed to a longer stay with their partner . 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

It’s noted in the UKVI documents guidelines, along with flight tickets, hotel bookings, travel insurance, proof of ownership of cars, motorcycles and the like.

I take it the online application hasn't changed much? In that I can do 99% of the application online on behalf of the applicant?  I seem to remember setting up an e-mail address etc. for a previous application in order that I received communications - then passing this e-mail account to the applicant near the end. I may be out a bit on some of that, its been a while but I don't think I'm too far out - or have there been major changes?

I ask because I'll be making a new VV application soon.

Just now, superal said:

So some good info and opinions from this post . It appears that the most important part of the application is that of " Reasons to Return " .  My partners cousin has no problems getting the UK visa , 3 times ,as she has been working in the same bank for 25 years .  Now my lady is self employed , own house and business plus supports her mother and 6 casual restaurant workers .   If that is not a good enough reason I am stumped again as the last refusal was they did not think she would return to Thailand .

I was told recently that being part of an organised trip using a known travel company is an easier process if a UK tour is all that is needed as opposed to a longer stay with their partner . 

I can’t disagree but as I keep repeating myself my partner, has no money, no property, no job but we have just been granted her 3rd 6 month visitor visa. Reasons for her return on her first application was strong family values and basically if she didn’t return I would withdraw all financial support to her. I did state we had been in a relationship for 3 years, provided details of my adopted son, birth certificate, Tabien Baan etc, 70 pages of documents including all my travel details of my travel dates to Thailand.

14 minutes ago, superal said:

It can be very difficult.

Having a verifiable job helps. Show strong family ties, children (only if they live with the applicant), settled accommodation etc. etc. - its a bit of a lottery I'm afraid. If there's going to be a while before the application is made - you have time to 'prepare' some of these things.

If you are in a long term relationship - people often state that they expect this visit to be one of several and the applicant is aware that if they don't comply with the requirements of the visa - i.e. return on time, they may jeopardise any future applications.

The lady's age can have a bearing on it - the younger they are, the more likely they would be considered as a potential economic applicant.

8 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I take it the online application hasn't changed much? In that I can do 99% of the application online on behalf of the applicant?  I seem to remember setting up an e-mail address etc. for a previous application in order that I received communications - then passing this e-mail account to the applicant near the end. I may be out a bit on some of that, its been a while but I don't think I'm too far out - or have there been major changes?

No changes the only difference is VFS Global have added additional fees !

11 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/visitor-visa-guide-to-supporting-documents/guide-to-supporting-documents-visiting-the-uk

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

It can be very difficult.

Having a verifiable job helps. Show strong family ties, children (only if they live with the applicant), settled accommodation etc. etc. - its a bit of a lottery I'm afraid.

If you are in a long term relationship - people often state that they expect this visit to be one of several and the applicant is aware that if they don't comply with the requirements of the visa - i.e. return on time, they may jeopardise any future applications.

Exactly got it in one, my lady who is very Thai said on her initial visit said no way could she live in the UK. We will be on her 3rd visit in March Coronavirus permitting and hinted in years to come she might consider that I apply for a Spouse Visa !

2 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Cash cow now, next time apply we might go for a 2 year plus visitor visa.

Agreed. We got a 2 year visa last time and it all worked out really well. We may go for a 5 year visa this time but there's always a risk they might say no, in which case we'd end up with a very expensive 6 month at best.

1 minute ago, saengd said:

Agreed. We got a 2 year visa last time and it all worked out really well. We may go for a 5 year visa this time but there's always a risk they might say no, in which case we'd end up with a very expensive 6 month at best.

What annoys me is the cost, the more years you apply for the more the cost, if 2 years more than double the cost of 1 year.

17 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

What annoys me is the cost, the more years you apply for the more the cost, if 2 years more than double the cost of 1 year.

We timed it so that we got three trips over two years, the first was at the very start of the visa, the second in the middle and the third just before it expires.

27 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Ripping applicants off seems to be common with many countries. My application for a 12 month Multi Entry Non O Visa for Thailand is priced at 5000 baht. However, I will be applying in to Ho Chi Minh City where payment is to be made in US Dollars. Todays dollar/baht rate is 31.20 so I would expect to pay around 160 dollars. I realise a little flexibility must be built in to the system to allow for currency fluctuations but they really are taking the P.  The cost of the visa in US dollars is 200!!!

3 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Ripping applicants off seems to be common with many countries. My application for a 12 month Multi Entry Non O Visa for Thailand is priced at 5000 baht. However, I will be applying in to Ho Chi Minh City where payment is to be made in US Dollars. Todays dollar/baht rate is 31.20 so I would expect to pay around 160 dollars. I realise a little flexibility must be built in to the system to allow for currency fluctuations but they really are taking the P.  The cost of the visa in US dollars is 200!!!

I thought 3800 Baht for a Multi Entry Visa ?

47 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I thought 3800 Baht for a Multi Entry Visa ?

No, the cost of a 12 month Multi Entry Non O is 5000 baht at those embassies/consulates that accept baht (Laos). £125 in the UK but 200 dollars in Ho Chi Minh!!!

What really P's me off is that I sincerely doubt that cash ever sees the inside of a Vietnamese bank. I suspect that it is simply transferred to Thailand by way of a diplomatic pouch or similar - therefore baht could be accepted but its not,

On 2/11/2020 at 6:29 PM, saengd said:

My wife had 3, 6 month visas, then we applied and got a 5 year. When she applies again next year we will go for the 10 year. It helps that we always travel together. Good luck.

On 2/11/2020 at 11:06 AM, superal said:

Now my lady is self employed , own house and business plus supports her mother and 6 casual restaurant workers .

Sorry, I read your post too quickly when I replied before. I have no idea how much the above committments were stressed but please consider the following: When you apply you need to go into detail on this. I am not suggesting that lies are told but sometimes too much information dilutes the intention. For example, stating that the business provides CASUAL employment has a lesser ring to it than simply stating that the business provides employment for 6 workers - the 'casual' part dilutes it and is unnecessary.

Again, I don't know the precise details but a claim to the existence of a business - tying the applicant to their homeland can be made by anyone. Proving that business exists and that it provides a living for both the applicant, their family and staff can be difficult given that we are talking about a business in Thailand. I know a few people in Thailand that have businesses that provide them with a decent living yet SOMEHOW, they manage to stay under the tax threshold. Therefore, when the need to prove their income or the existence of such a business arises, they fail.

If your partner's business is registered and she pays tax and social security - give details.  If its not - well the ECO may place little or no importance in any statement regarding the business, it could just be made up.  Any detail you can give, bank statements, a lease - anything that proves the existence of the item the applicant is claiming, will help.

When I say go into detail - you need to be very careful on that. ECO's are no different to the rest of us - endless pages may bore them and the have been known to miss important points, presumably because they were lost in acres of text.

What I've done in the past is to read and edit, read and edit again, all the information that I've provided. You need to hold the ECO's attention.

If its impossible to condense the information down to one or two sheets of A4 then simply make reference to the item in the written statement and provide detailed evidence separately. For example you could write:

I am self employed, run my own restaurant business that employs 6 staff and provides me with an income of 50,000 baht per month (see item 1 in the attached annexe).  That way the ECO is given the basis of the applicant's claims on one, easy to read, page and should they want to check details, they can do so. Oh, and paragraph it.

Alternatively you can do what I did to help someone in a not disimilar situation to your partner a few years back and actually make reference to the refusal. The details submitted were much the same as the original application and this was made clear in the covering letter accompanying the new application. However, the letter then went on to say something similar to this:

'I previously made an application for a Visitor's Visa on 11/22/33 which was refused for the following reasons: 'You have failed to provide convincing evidence of your business activity and other reasons that would lead me to believe that you will return to Thailand before the expiry of your visa, therefore.......bla bla bla.  I have therefore provided more detailed information to address the points in the refusal notice. Please see the attached sheet for details of my business which include my tax receipt for the year 4444 and a copy of the lease for my business premises'..... etc. etc.

Do not try to pull the wool over the ECO's eyes. They know very few Thai's are fully fluent in English. If they have received help with the application it is better to state that. It is vitally important that the applicant fully understands everything that's been written in the application. They may be called for interview or receive a phone call so they need to be singing from the same hymn sheet.

One final point, as I said before, Visit Visas can be a lottery - you just have to keep plugging at it and deal with the reasons for refusal. As another poster has said here, I've seen people have no problem with a visa with very little supporting evidence and others fail with what I would consider as adequate. I sometimes wonder if, in cases where the sponsor is a lot older than the applicant for example, the ECO's personal feelings on that relationship come into play?

I remember one member of another forum who's girlfriend had no job, lived on the family rice farm upcountry, no savings, nothing. If I'd been asked to guess her chances I'd have said 5% at the most. She got 3 visitors visas without refusal before eventually coming to live in the UK!! Hang in there.

Quick question. I know the earliest you can apply is 3 months before you plan to travel, but does that count from the date you file online or the date of your appointment with VFS? For example, if we are planning to travel on 18 May 2020 could I file online on 13 Feb but make an appointment from 19 Feb onward or would I need to wait until 19 Feb before I submit the application online? I'm asking as I want to get the appointment as soon as possible as we need to file visa applications for other countries too.    

On 2/4/2020 at 3:03 PM, theoldgit said:

For the benefit of other forum members who might consider enclosing such a guarantee, it would carry no weight whatsoever as it’s totally unenforceable, it would wouldn’t be considered by the ECO.

However well meaning nobody can absolutely guarantee that a visa holder would leave the UK.

It may be that it might not have been considered by immigration but you personally cannot know that it did not carry weight. If a person absconds in breach of their Visa terms then the immigration police can be contacted.

As to the validity of the guarantee, It comes from two places, one is the fact that I have known my partner for 5 years and know what she would and would not do. Secondly, she would not have the funds to cater for herself if she absconded as she was fully reliant on my financial support. Those are the reasons why I personally was able to make the guarantee. It is no more vslid or invalid than any other guarantee, however, I gave it and she got her visa when very deserving others (in my opinion) did not.

On 2/4/2020 at 3:03 PM, theoldgit said:

For the benefit of other forum members who might consider enclosing such a guarantee, it would carry no weight whatsoever as it’s totally unenforceable, it would wouldn’t be considered by the ECO.

However well meaning nobody can absolutely guarantee that a visa holder would leave the UK.

In my case I could. However, you may be right or wrong about it carrying any weight in the situstion but you cannot know that. I have known my partner for 5 years and know what she would and would not do and she would not abscond in any circumstance let alone the circumstance she was in. She knew no one and had no funds of her own which would make it impossible for her to survive. There are also immigration police that can enforce the terms of her visa if it came to that.

I think the guarantee is as valid or invalid as any guarantee which based on trust and may be backed up by law. I think my guarantee was valid in those terms. I believe It would certainly not be valid in the majority of cases as you have poinently put it. Every case is different and has its own merits. I simply say to any applicants do and say all you can in truth to validate your application.

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Sorry, I read your post too quickly when I replied before. I have no idea how much the above committments were stressed but please consider the following: When you apply you need to go into detail on this. I am not suggesting that lies are told but sometimes too much information dilutes the intention. For example, stating that the business provides CASUAL employment has a lesser ring to it than simply stating that the business provides employment for 6 workers - the 'casual' part dilutes it and is unnecessary.

Again, I don't know the precise details but a claim to the existence of a business - tying the applicant to their homeland can be made by anyone. Proving that business exists and that it provides a living for both the applicant, their family and staff can be difficult given that we are talking about a business in Thailand. I know a few people in Thailand that have businesses that provide them with a decent living yet SOMEHOW, they manage to stay under the tax threshold. Therefore, when the need to prove their income or the existence of such a business arises, they fail.

If your partner's business is registered and she pays tax and social security - give details.  If its not - well the ECO may place little or no importance in any statement regarding the business, it could just be made up.  Any detail you can give, bank statements, a lease - anything that proves the existence of the item the applicant is claiming, will help.

When I say go into detail - you need to be very careful on that. ECO's are no different to the rest of us - endless pages may bore them and the have been known to miss important points, presumably because they were lost in acres of text.

What I've done in the past is to read and edit, read and edit again, all the information that I've provided. You need to hold the ECO's attention.

If its impossible to condense the information down to one or two sheets of A4 then simply make reference to the item in the written statement and provide detailed evidence separately. For example you could write:

I am self employed, run my own restaurant business that employs 6 staff and provides me with an income of 50,000 baht per month (see item 1 in the attached annexe).  That way the ECO is given the basis of the applicant's claims on one, easy to read, page and should they want to check details, they can do so. Oh, and paragraph it.

Alternatively you can do what I did to help someone in a not disimilar situation to your partner a few years back and actually make reference to the refusal. The details submitted were much the same as the original application and this was made clear in the covering letter accompanying the new application. However, the letter then went on to say something similar to this:

'I previously made an application for a Visitor's Visa on 11/22/33 which was refused for the following reasons: 'You have failed to provide convincing evidence of your business activity and other reasons that would lead me to believe that you will return to Thailand before the expiry of your visa, therefore.......bla bla bla.  I have therefore provided more detailed information to address the points in the refusal notice. Please see the attached sheet for details of my business which include my tax receipt for the year 4444 and a copy of the lease for my business premises'..... etc. etc.

Do not try to pull the wool over the ECO's eyes. They know very few Thai's are fully fluent in English. If they have received help with the application it is better to state that. It is vitally important that the applicant fully understands everything that's been written in the application. They may be called for interview or receive a phone call so they need to be singing from the same hymn sheet.

One final point, as I said before, Visit Visas can be a lottery - you just have to keep plugging at it and deal with the reasons for refusal. As another poster has said here, I've seen people have no problem with a visa with very little supporting evidence and others fail with what I would consider as adequate. I sometimes wonder if, in cases where the sponsor is a lot older than the applicant for example, the ECO's personal feelings on that relationship come into play?

I remember one member of another forum who's girlfriend had no job, lived on the family rice farm upcountry, no savings, nothing. If I'd been asked to guess her chances I'd have said 5% at the most. She got 3 visitors visas without refusal before eventually coming to live in the UK!! Hang in there.

Many thanks for the interesting info . You are correct about the tax situation / under the threshold she is and deals with cash only although she has a bank account of long standing .   No lease involved as she is the owner . She has a licence to sell food and another to sell alcohol , should they be in the application ?  The previous app showed photos of the restaurant which has now doubled in size . BTW she is 52 and I am 72 so not really a case where she would abscond taking her status into consideration in Thailand where she has a decent living standard . 

6 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

It is actually better in my opinion if the girl has no finances and is reliant on the sponsor as in my case. The age gap was not a question in my case and there is a substantial gap nearly 2.5 times my age. No! that's not right, the other way round 555. That wouldn't be a mature older woman, not like a mature cheddar, more like a stilton or blue cheese! One that had been rotting for many centuries and smelling bad too 555.

My wife and I lived and worked in U.K. from 2002 for 3 years and she had permanent leave to remain stamp which has expired.

We are married and have lived in Thailand for 17 years and now considering living in U.K. again.

Should she apply for a returning resident visa or spousal visa?

I would need to return to uk first and get a job, assuming it’s possible at 68, to bolster my pension to £18600 and then apply for her to join me,

We had a marital spat on a U.K. visit about 2006 which meant she we jailed for a week until I dropped charges, I only mention this to ask if it should be mentioned in the application as it was a long time back.

Any help appreciated.

41 minutes ago, Changoverandout said:

My wife and I lived and worked in U.K. from 2002 for 3 years and she had permanent leave to remain stamp which has expired.

We are married and have lived in Thailand for 17 years and now considering living in U.K. again.

Should she apply for a returning resident visa or spousal visa?

I would need to return to uk first and get a job, assuming it’s possible at 68, to bolster my pension to £18600 and then apply for her to join me,

We had a marital spat on a U.K. visit about 2006 which meant she we jailed for a week until I dropped charges, I only mention this to ask if it should be mentioned in the application as it was a long time back.

Any help appreciated.

Not an expert here, but my wife is in a similar situation (expired LTR) and I have looked into it in case we want to return to the UK.

Certainly seems that she can apply for a returning resident visa

https://www.gov.uk/returning-resident-visa

and the cost will be 516 GBP (compared to 2,389 GBP for a settlement visa).

The application form https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/841213/vaf2-form-10-19.pdf asks about convictions, cautions, official warnings, reprimands, and any cases pending - so I don't think she needs to mention being held on remand for a week without conviction (if you sure she wasn't cautioned or officially warned, or reprimanded before being released?).

If not certain, she could apply for a police records check ... https://www.gov.uk/copy-of-police-records 

27 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Not an expert here, but my wife is in a similar situation (expired LTR) and I have looked into it in case we want to return to the UK.

Certainly seems that she can apply for a returning resident visa

https://www.gov.uk/returning-resident-visa

and the cost will be 516 GBP (compared to 2,389 GBP for a settlement visa).

The application form https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/841213/vaf2-form-10-19.pdf asks about convictions, cautions, official warnings, reprimands, and any cases pending - so I don't think she needs to mention being held on remand for a week without conviction (if you sure she wasn't cautioned or officially warned, or reprimanded before being released?).

If not certain, she could apply for a police records check ... https://www.gov.uk/copy-of-police-records 

Thanks. I’m pretty sure she wasn’t cautioned or officially warned but I will mention it in the application in case there’s a problem causing a refusal.

I will still need to earn over the £18600 a year for her to get a returning resident visa I presume?

3 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

It is actually better in my opinion if the girl has no finances and is reliant on the sponsor as in my case.

Sometimes I would agree and I'm guessing but I think the poster did act as sponsor.  The purpose of my reply to him was to deal with 'Reasons to Return' (RtoR)  - the financial references are purely to establish the existence of a business which would help with RtoR.

I would add that my agreement is in relation to the type of visa application that we see mostly here - i.e. from a Thai national that is in a relationship with a foreigner.

Thousands of 'normal' Thai tourists visit the UK every year. They are not in a relationship with a UK national and I'd suggest that the vast majority provide financial evidence in their own right.

4 hours ago, superal said:

She has a licence to sell food and another to sell alcohol , should they be in the application ?

Yes, and anything else that links her to the business.  As long as you are acting as sponsor, with careful wording it is possible to skirt aroud the issue of income - seeing as it can't be established. The ECO, providing there is enough other evidence of the business, should not really refer to income as the sponsor is dealing with the finances. You must however, show that you have ther funds available.

As there has been a previous refusal, I would give a costed travel itinerary - show the total costs inc food etc. and then provide proof of those funds.  Believe it or not. a second application is very likely to succeed if you deal with the RtoR properly - the other side have shown their hand and to introduce anything new would be an abuse of process (providing circumstances haven't changed.

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

Quick question. I know the earliest you can apply is 3 months before you plan to travel, but does that count from the date you file online or the date of your appointment with VFS?

Guessing here but as nobody has answered you - I'll have a stab.  I doubt the date you start the online application process will be used. I suspect it will actually be the date you actually submit the application online.

Archived