Easiest tourist visa now?

I did a couple of tourist visas in 2017, an EDU visa, a tourist visa, another EDU visa, then a visa exempt and extension until today. I need some time to arrange citizenship for my child with my non-thai wife, and a few more months would be very helpful. Is there any embassy that is likely to grant a final tourist visa in the area? 

If I'm reading you OP correctly, sounds like you have been in Los for some time? Couple ed visas etc. 

Personally I dont think you will get another setv at nearby consulates.

You could try somewhere like Laos. If not successful you could enter visa exempt at border. You can do 2 visa exempt border entries per calendar year so if you haven't used any in 2020 you could get 120days with extensions. 

You could fly to KL and try visa exempt entry via air to CNX or U-Tapao. They seem reasonable. Also recent report of flight into U-Tapao for fella with long history in Thailand. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, jacklondon said:

Dr. Jack. Can I apply for a SETV to Thailand in HCMC as American passport holder?

Yes a great place to apply for setv.

Thing is IF they returned your passport with visa and VOID stamp you have bit of problem as you can not easily then enter via border. 

Saigon don't like issue setv just after ed visa. I know that's not your situation, but not sure of your exact details of time in Los.

What I outlined above re void stamp happened to a poster perhaps month back.

He flew into CNX without visa and void stamp. Obtained 30 day visa exempt.

Must have been nervous flight.

Being USA you need visa for Vietnam. Easy done online. 

Where you located in Thailand? 

It is tough. Given the fact that you have a good reason for wanting to be in Thailand with your child, a sympathetic consulate might be willing to help you. You might need a consulate willing to listen. Make sure you take paperwork with you that documents the situation with your child, and why it is in the child's best interests to be in Thailand.

Plan to return by land whether you score a visa or not. If determined to fly in, at least avoid both Bangkok airports, Phuket and Krabi.

Cheapest possibly viable option is Kuala Lumpur who might give you the visa. If not, returning by land (bus to Hat Yai) is possible.

Consulates that would likely give you a hearing and might be sympathetic are Yangon and Hanoi. From Yangon, you can return overland by overnight VIP bus to Myawaddy, entering Thailand at Maesot. From Hanoi, either fly or go overland to Vientiane, entering Thailand at Nong Khai.

I know none of this is convenient, but it is the reality now.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

What citizenship are you hoping to get for your child?

Obviously you are not Thai and you state your wife is non Thai also.

Good point. I was wondering the same - the OP didn't write what the child's connection to Thailand is and neither parent seems to be Thai. For that reason, I don't see how a child angle could be plaid at a consulate; not sure what @BritTim has in mind?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Good point. I was wondering the same - the OP didn't write what the child's connection to Thailand is and neither parent seems to be Thai. For that reason, I don't see how a child angle could be plaid at a consulate; not sure what @BritTim has in mind?

There can be many reasons why someone can be better off in the country they were born rather than the country of citizenship of the father or mother. I am assuming such a case exists here. Suppose the mother came from a country like Somalia, and the child has been in Thailand continuously since birth. It is quite reasonable to assume the child would be better off in Thailand than Somalia. Whatever the reason for wanting the child to grow up in Thailand (with his father present) the OP needs to carefully document that before talking to a consulate who might listen.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is quite reasonable to assume the child would be better off in Thailand than Somalia.

I don't doubt that. I do doubt, however, that a Thai consul or immigration officer would be sympathetic to that kind of argument - maybe one in a million.

There can be many reasons why someone can be better off in the country they were born rather than the country of citizenship of the father or mother. I am assuming such a case exists here. Suppose the mother came from a country like Somalia, and the child has been in Thailand continuously since birth. It is quite reasonable to assume the child would be better off in Thailand than Somalia. Whatever the reason for wanting the child to grow up in Thailand (with his father present) the OP needs to carefully document that before talking to a consulate who might listen.

Fact is that the OP would have been given more informed advice if not posted smoke and mirrors. My guess was wife Myanmar or Loas, but did not post my thoughts as just a guess.

Anyway how did Somalia get into the frame. 

The OP has not added a lot. In fact zero.

Just a wind up.

Edited by DrJack54

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

No doubt the child may grow up in Thailand. But with a non Thai mum and dad, what is the claim for Thai citizenship? This isn't the USA  where anyone born there has automatic right to citizenship.

17 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

No doubt the child may grow up in Thailand. But with a non Thai mum and dad, what is the claim for Thai citizenship? This isn't the USA  where anyone born there has automatic right to citizenship.

Jus soli is recognised in Thai law. While the law is not the whole story, the Thai Nationality Act (2008) makes clear that those born on Thai soil (with a few exceptions) are entitled to Thai citizenship. See Section 7. Proving that you were born in Thailand is easy if you have a birth certificate issued in Thailand. Proving the exceptions do not apply can be more difficult. Anyway, it should be possible ultimately with a good lawyer to get Thai citizenship for the child confirmed. 

Jus soli is recognised in Thai law. While the law is not the whole story, the Thai Nationality Act (2008) makes clear that those born on Thai soil (with a few exceptions) are entitled to Thai citizenship.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

My understanding is that in order to qualify both foreign parents must have permanent residence status.

1 hour ago, unheard said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

My understanding is that in order to qualify both foreign parents must have permanent residence status.

That is not the way I read the law. Simplifying, both parents must have been in Thailand legally at the time of the birth, and neither can be a refugee.

That said, officials can be resistant to following the law as written. As is often the case in Thailand, officials can choose to interpret the law in a way that was not intended. Using the services of a competent immigration lawyer is likely to be necessary.

Following the law change in 2008, the first example of someone getting Thai citizenship for their child was a missionary couple who did not have permanent residence.

EDIT: Note that the law on this was rather different prior to 2008. Those excluded from Thai citizenship prior to 2008 are entitled to claim citizenship retroactively under the new conditions, but the process is difficult.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1