BANGKOK
chivo

Avoiding required military service for son

Son was born in Thailand, has dual citizenship (USA). 
We moved back to USA when he was 2 1/2. 
He has grown up in the States, only speaks English, and We have no interest in him being forced into thai military in any capacity. 
Strange how that’s a requirement for dual kids still. What if my son joined the US military while here? Surely you can’t serve in both??? Wouldn’t that exempt him from thai required service? Or do we have to denounce his thai citizenship?? Thanks for any knowledge. 

28 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Just enter on US passport, no one will care... he can buy himself out too for a few bucks.

Why the hell would you denounce his thai citizenship... It's worth something, US one on the other hand with their worldwide citizenship based taxation he might want to get rid of later...

True. The US citizenship thing can be as painful, in other ways. Yeah, all up for a little brown envelope if that tactic holds up. Seems to work on everything else!

When our now 5 year old was born his mother went into panic about he would 'go to army and die.'

First, tried to convince her that would be 20 years out, anything could change by then.  Didn't ease her mind.  then I did the research on what options actually are:  stay out of Thailand, , join military in US, go to university, complete the high school program, visit the local draft honcho and slip him an envelope or show up for the draw where only 2 - 3 are normally selected.  She seemed to understand he had options and would not die fighting the muslim radicals down south, seriously that is her fear.

Personally, I don't have problem with any young man doing service to his country.  But seems to avoid conscription the high school/university course, or maybe ROTC in US college would be best deal.

We will deal with it in some years and I'll let you know how we come out......

• Like 1

20000 bht buys way out and I’m not sure but after a certain age they don’t make you do it I think .

55 minutes ago, bkkgriz said:

Dress him up like a girl.

Exactly what I was going to say dress and lipstick and pinch the officers bum and he will be all clear of any military activities.

When my son (Thai-US) turned 18yo, he was in university (US). We gave the local colonel a baht "donation" to handle it. He was happy to omit Junior's name, from the draft rolls. I have a Thai-American friend, in Chiang Mai, who did the same, for her son, for Baht 20,000. 

Edited by skytrooper70
misspelling
  • Like 1

30000 baht during picking ticket ensures he picks the “correct “ one. From my understanding attending uni also gives him free pass , but unsure if back to picking after the uni

On 2/8/2020 at 3:41 PM, 86Tiger said:

Personally, I don't have problem with any young man doing service to his country.

How you feel about your son being a personal servant for some general or admiral?  These conscripts in Thailand do one of others)two things, cannon fodder or servant to a hiso (officer with a gun is a hiso), the rest are to make NCO's feel they've made a good career choice( where else you get to lord it over the lower class(yes, your son is lower class).  Pay off whoever you have to pay off or choose which side of the fence you want to be on. Good chanc he is dead if conscripted in Thailand. Choose wisely not economically; is my advice.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 7:32 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

worldwide citizenship based taxation

thats funny sad and tragic all at the same time

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bkkgriz said:

Dress him up like a girl.

there are plenty of kathoey in the military - wont exempt him

1 hour ago, jaf3 said:

there are plenty of kathoey in the military - wont exempt him

There are zero ladyboys in the military but plenty of gay guys . Once one has undergone surgery to become a woman one way or another they are exempt