Thailand Requires Chinese Tourists to Show Medical Certificates

webfact

Sheer brilliance by the TAT.

When every other country closed it's borders to the Chinese, Thailand makes you bring a note from a "Doctor" to say you don't (yet) show any signs of the Corona Virus, as a way to show they are doing everything possible to protect Thai people...

40million tourists? Maybe 80million or 100million...oh and a whole lot of walking dead.

Brilliant strategy. Lemonade.

• Haha 1

The demand for fake Chinese medical certificates may be driving the prices up ????

But the so-called Corona Beer Virus May Be a Black Swan?!?!

Coronavirus May Be a Black Swan Like No Other - Moody's Analytics

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.moodysanalytics.com/-/media/article/2020/weekly-market-outlook-coronavirus-may-be-black-swan-like-no-other.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiZm6Hv87bnAhVozzgGHfaBD-4QFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw35yTcTVkNApI3hO23ZDsU0

*Industrial metals index down almost 8% since arrival of virus pandemic

*World economic growth correlates 80% with Industrial metals index

*World economic growth slowed down last year to 2.9% from 3.6% in 2018

*For the 9 years since 1986 showing a -5+% drop in Industrial metals, the average world economic growth was averaging 2.7%

* World economic growth was predicted to be +3.3% this year (2020).

* However, the industrial metals index is down -3.8% annually

Conclusions: 80% chance of a drop in world economic growth, 20% chance of level or increasing growth.

My take: Everything will be fine as long as countries don't close borders and inhibit growth.

Carry on and be careful with what kind of beer you drink. ????

9e0umrmmw4e41.jpg

• Haha 2

Thailand has the most cases after China and can't even grow a spine and close all flights from China like plenty of other less hit countries, crazy.

A Chinese medical certificate! What a joke. Even with their fake certs, how exactly are they supposed to check, verify, the hoards of Chinese? What a cluster fcuck.

41 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I think this is a more sensible approach rather than a blanket, racist ban like what some countries do.

There are many people with various diseases from all the world, we shouldn't ban them just because a small percentage has that virus or disease. Eg. 

There are many countries with HIV carriers, but we don't see any ban from these countries... why?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_HIV/AIDS_adult_prevalence_rate

Clearly, this is racially-motivated by certain anti-Chinese countries.

You're conflating banning people from a certain area with banning people who 'look' like they're from a certain area. No one in any civilized country is doing that. Citizens being repatriated from Wuhan back to the UK, etc, are not being quarantined based on their race. They're being quarantined based off the fact they're human beings who were living in an affected area.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Desperation... asking Chinese travelers to produce something that their government hasn't mandated because instead of chasing bits of hard-to-authenticate paper, they have chosen to stop any Chinese leaving in the first place.

The thai government has also forgotten about the ~14 days incubation period. How can a clinic/hospital in China determine that a person without symptoms is ok? He can be either 100% healthy, or infected but without symptoms. 

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

I think this is a more sensible approach rather than a blanket, racist ban like what some countries do.

There are many people with various diseases from all the world, we shouldn't ban them just because a small percentage has that virus or disease. Eg. 

There are many countries with HIV carriers, but we don't see any ban from these countries... why?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_HIV/AIDS_adult_prevalence_rate

Clearly, this is racially-motivated by certain anti-Chinese countries.

"In 2009, in the wake of fears of a worldwide swine flu pandemic, thought to have started in Mexico, relations between the two countries cooled substantially over China's decision to quarantine some seventy Mexican citizens, despite none of them showing symptoms of the virus. The Mexican government responded with outrage and, although China imposed the same measures on four nationals from the United States and more than twenty from Canada; dubbed the act discriminatory. Mexican Foreign Minister Patricia Espinosa used such terms as "unacceptable" and "without foundation", and advised compatriots not to travel to China.

China repudiated the accusations with the defence that its measures were strictly medical. Only one Mexican, a man in Hong Kong, was found to be infected.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China–Mexico_relations#2009_swine_flu_spat

3 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

They will have to be in Thai.

I was just thinking that...even if it was in English, can all Immigration officers read English. I would expect most to be in Chinese from a Chinese clinic.

...but we all know it's just a diversion to allow tourists to keep coming.

It's not a legit check.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

There is no 100% protective situation, some Americans are HIV carriers so do you see countries banning all Americans just because a small percentage have them? There is an incubation period for AIDs carrier too.

Wait...are you equating the contagiousness of this virus to that of HIV?  

• Like 2

To be fair, many flights from North America and other places make stopovers in China, and

maybe just let people off who want to stay in China, but not allow any to board in China.

I doubt that this measure will happen though.  I just hope there is a stoppage to the spread, or a vaccine, developed for this newest viral pandemic. I am also waiting to see if there is an improvement over the next 2 weeks.  Glad that Thailand has other means besides tourism to keep

the country from going broke.

Geezer

• Like 2

555!  The Thais don't seem to realise that the Chinese are just as corrupt as them.  Years ago I was importing 7 or8 containers a year from China into Australia.   When there was a problem at their end a little tea money could fix it lickerty split!   Medical certificates 555! 

• Like 1

Thailand... still faffing about the whole thing when others have taken more affirmative actions. Still hard-up for that $18 billion huh. Even at the expense of the health of the general public. Even China is stopping their own people from travelling. And you are asking for health certs. Pathetic!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hackney35 said:

So many things wrong with this it actually made me laugh out loud when I read the headline.

Maybe someone should explain what a 14 day incubation period means to the geniuses who thought this one up.

HK have the right idea about the virus, no qualms about closing the door to their mainland brothers to protect themselves. 

exactly!

I wonder what they will do if the Chinese show up at immigration block all lines discussing because they don`t have the certificate. Thais will never ever turn them back to China !!!!!!

So they will perform a fever check as an alibi to let them pass.

At least they should do blood test and hold them in the airport until lab results are there, and make them pay the expenses. But such thing won`t happen, of course.

Much better to follow a clear policy, no entering in any case if no certificate. By strictly implementing this, China Immigration and airlines will have to check the certificate before flying to Thailand, just like visas too.

Many argue incubation time 14 days, the certificate is useless. I do partly agree. But while it is not safe to assume they are at the time of entry still free of the virus, it is still much better than a fever check at airport. And they need to make sure the certificate is not old.

But I guess nobody from the Thai government has yet thought about how to implement this. So, dear buffaloes, when you discover your first questions, just ask me, I can teach you even if you and this despite I am only a farang.

Edited by P100
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

I think this is a good initiative done by the government. At least it's one way of assisting in stopping the spread and it's better than nothing at all. 

One can only assume that the doctor's note will be in Chinese. So, will the immigration officer be able to understand the document and see that it is, in fact, a proper doctor's note from a Real doctor? 

Still think it is a good idea?  ????

• Like 1

This is laughable. My medical certificate for a Thai driving licence seemed to be based on the doctor determining I could breathe, and had a pulse. That was it.

I can just imagine how perfunctory a Chinese medical certificate could be.

7 hours ago, Hackney35 said:

So many things wrong with this it actually made me laugh out loud when I read the headline.

Maybe someone should explain what a 14 day incubation period means to the geniuses who thought this one up.

HK have the right idea about the virus, no qualms about closing the door to their mainland brothers to protect themselves. 

? HKG Medical workers on strike because HK govt still has not closed all the borders, and cancellation of flights to China has made HKG the floodgate for global returns of PRC passengers to China. 

Good news is that despite the very heavy traffic of low and middle class PRC Chinese (the virus pool) through HKG, their cases have remained flat at 15 AND HKG has one of the best, if not the best reporting system in the world.

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

I have already explained Hong Kong and Singapore's situation. Most are quite anti-mainlanders as demonstrated by the recent Hong Kong protest.

There is no 100% protective situation, some Americans are HIV carriers so do you see countries banning all Americans just because a small percentage have them? There is an incubation period for AIDs carrier too.

Excuse me but HIV is not an easily transmitted virus. It is not airborne nor can you get it from shaking hands sneezes, coughs, eating using infected persons utensils ect. That's why they alow HIV carriers to be cooks at restaurants or even work in hospitals. It is only transmitted sexually (and even then not that easily), blood spater or transfusion  sharing needles or from mother to child during birth 

And you say why don't countries ban Americans who have HIV ? Less than .26 of 1 percent of persons in the US die from HIV/AIDS Hundred times higher incedence in African countries and even they are not banned from travling because itis not easily spread 

Edited by Tony125
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Good thing the IOs are experts in reading medical certificates issued in Mandarin, with Chinese script.

Gutless fools, cut the VOA and flights already.

Haha. Maybe they can learn to read Chinese, if passengers help them with tuition. Its not a bribe, it's a scholarship

• Like 1