VIDEO: Officials issue warning after foreign tourists seen 'tombstoning' from Krabi rock face

webfact

VIDEO: Officials issue warning after foreign tourists seen 'tombstoning' from Krabi rock face

4pm.jpg

Thai caption: Scary dive into water in front of Phra Nang cave

Picture: 77kaoded

A video showed several young foreign tourists jumping into the sea, an activity known as ‘tombstoning’, near the entrance to the Phra Nang cave on Railay beach in Krabi. 

Other tourists contacted the press to say this was scary and dangerous as there are lots of rocks in the area. 

Chief of the Nopparat Thara - Koh Phi Phi national park Woraphot Lormlim was not amused. 

He sent his officials in to investigate but they were too late. 

He said that climbing up at that point is illegal and anyone doing so in the future would be prosecuted. 

77kaoded reported that there is signage in the area forbidding climbing and jumping and that guides have been warned to tell tourists not to do it. The guides themselves face prosecution if they allow it to happen. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-04

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Tongjaw said:

All the complainers on here giving the officials a hard time for trying to enforce the rules make me laugh. If any of the tourists had hurt themselves and started a go fund me page you guys would complain about that too. Must be terrible to wake up on a morning thinking what can I moan about today. 

Yes and it's called a FORUM! Opinions and comments. Is it stupid to jump off cliffs ~ yes, are people hurt or even killed each year doing it ~ yes however treating it as a major crime and hunting down the kids doing it like hardened criminals with the incentive of extracting a bonus from their parents is not good for the country or tourism. 

• Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2020 at 8:32 PM, Tongjaw said:

All the complainers on here giving the officials a hard time for trying to enforce the rules make me laugh. If any of the tourists had hurt themselves and started a go fund me page you guys would complain about that too. Must be terrible to wake up on a morning thinking what can I moan about today. 

I guess some people lament for the days before we nerfed the world . where you had the right to kill yourself with your stupidity. now everything is all safe......bah humbug. 

Edited by briansbiology

On 2/4/2020 at 6:57 PM, hotchilli said:

If it's from a prohibited area where rocks are underwater then it's a fair comment.... wearing an immovable object for a "new hat" after a long drop is not a great idea... and it's stated for a good reason.

This is not being a "kill-joy"

and sure as shooting some drunk moron will die from a dive and then the cry will be "oh but why did the Thais allow these dangerous acts to happen?" or some such garbage. It's sad but a lot of clowns need protection from themselves..

• Haha 1