BMA orders halt to high-rise, train route construction for three days to fight haze

webfact

BMA orders halt to high-rise, train route construction for three days to fight haze

By THE NATION

800_a19171007c13825.jpg?v=1580782878

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is ordering a temporary halt to the construction of high-rise buildings and electric train routes in Bangkok areas from Tuesday (February 4) to Thursday (February 6) to reduce air pollution in metropolitan areas, BMA spokeswoman Jindarat Chayothin said on Monday (February 3).

The decision was made at a BMA executive board meeting chaired by Governor Assawin Kwanmuang.

“Lately Bangkok has been covered by a high-pressure system in the mornings until noon. This, together with weak winds, has increased the accumulation of dust and haze,” she said. “As dust particulates come from various sources, BMA has employed several measures to tackle the problem since last year.”

Jindarat further explained that since October 2019, BMA has been working with Royal Thai Police to randomly inspect vehicles in Bangkok areas for black smoke emission. “We have already identified almost 30,000 vehicles that have high levels of emission and ordered the owners to fix the problem,” she said.

“The BMA had issued a no-burning order for crop fields or garbage in open space, and inspected the emission levels of industrial factories in Bangkok, Nonthaburi and Samut Prakarn provinces to make sure they comply with related regulations.

“Construction of buildings and roads can also cause air pollution, therefore the BMA has agreed to order contractors of high-rise buildings, as well as seven electric train routes in Bangkok areas to temporarily halt their construction for three days,” added Jindarat. “However, if the air quality improves before February 6, the BMA will consider letting the construction continue. During this period, the interior works of buildings and train stations can go on.”

This week BMA will also deploy water trucks to spray water in the air along roads that are reported to suffer high level of pollution, as water will help trap airborne dust as well as clean the roads, the spokeswoman added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381548?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-04

Jindarat further explained that since October 2019, BMA has been working with Royal Thai Police to randomly inspect vehicles in Bangkok areas for black smoke emission. “We have already identified almost 30,000 vehicles that have high levels of emission and ordered the owners to fix the problem,” she said.

Does anybody think that they with folow these arders ?

I'm staying a stone's throw outside the BKK border (in Samut Prakan). New building site next door is in full swing today; wind is from the south; all pollution blowing straight into BKK. Please enjoy it.

This may be fake news, of course, by our wonderful PM's definition, so I won't say it.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The BMA had issued a no-burning order for crop fields or garbage in open space

Poor farmers and locals have no alternatives to burning crops and trash. Meanwhile mindless government authorities issue orders that people largely ignore and don't address the root problem.

Do they really think that halting construction for 3 days will make a difference? What about the longer term?

“...We have already identified almost 30,000 vehicles that have high levels of emission and ordered the owners to fix the problem.” That’s working well, don’t see any reduction in ‘smoke spewing’ vehicles, big offenders are Old MRTA buses!! 

And who will be compensating these businesses for the halt? Idiots. There is something seriously wrong in Thailand and maybe it is the rubbish diesel they are selling. I have bought 2 new diesel vehicles in Thailand one being a Triton the other being a Ford Everest and both vehicles spew thick black smoke when reved a little hard leaving traffic lights. I see other vehicles doing the same. All my vehicles were well maintained. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

This week BMA will also deploy water trucks to spray water in the air along roads that are reported to suffer high level of pollution, as water will help trap airborne dust as well as clean the roads

If they would like, I can also pee of my hi-rise balcony to help with the dust.  

Just want to do my part to help make Bangkok a cleaner place.

Oh, my.  Just when I think I've heard the most brain-dead idea in the universe regarding the air pollution along comes another one to top it.  Yes, let's stop construction on two important things that will get people out of their polluting cars--mass transit and housing near subway stops.  And, meanwhile, let's conveniently avoid doing anything about the crop burning, dirty diesel fuel, polluting old buses, etc., etc., etc.

• Like 1