Loss of Chinese visitors hits Chiang Mai tourism hard

webfact

8 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

"Come on, 1000B. We can wear N95s if you're paranoid".

imageproxy.php.jpg

I want a mama cup-snail white-durian-Iphone-Hot pot-latex pillow-dried seaweed and Im yours!

Must have been a BOGO on the shoe shopping w/ friend..No nikes? Converse? Yankee caps???!!

(pigeons are gonna have to pull those bootstraps up-an maybe fly the coop!) Now is my chance to loot those bricks and sell them on alibaba since they seem to have some magic powers/? Alipay accepted.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Quote:-

"TAT will help attract more foreign tourists besides Chinese such as Indians and Koreans"

They can now forget the Koreans as one recently contracted the virus whilst in Thailand and, no doubt, there will now be health warnings for Korean tourists wanting to visit LOS!

Given that this virus may or may not be deadly, may or may not be bio-engineered as a weapon, and may or may not be spreading here in Thailand, one thing is for sure: the Chinese are not people you want to be around at this time. 

I was in Rimping Maya Mall branch, and the place was lousy with them. The longer I was there, the more I had this feeling in the back of my mind that mixing with these people was a bad idea. I was thinking, "Who knows where these people have been, or who they have been in contact with. It's a absolute fact that they came here on a full plane load of other Chinese...."

I'd say ban all of them from entering, and those that are here do not renew any visas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This obsession with Chinese tourism is what gets me. They only account for 25% of the total. another 25% is local - the Asean countries. Where do the 50% come from? Europe , USA, Australia, Korea and Japan.

So to pander to 25% of your market, you risk alienating the rest? The numbers from other countries were already stagnating or falling, before Coronavirus,  due to many factors. but the Chinese were definitely one of them. 

Fortunately I do not live in an area visited by chinese tourists, for which i am thankful! Only once got seriously caught up in the mass tour phenomenon, when 100's descended on the restaurant we were going to eat at, while on holiday and passing through Bangkok. Unfortunately we were already waiting for our food, which then took a long time, and the noise was unbelievable, I was looking for my earplugs. It was like being in a football match, complete with shoving and pushing. Then, in the space of 5 minutes the noise dwindled to nothing as they all left,,,,,,

So by allowing Chinese to still come while this epidemic is continueing, you will definitely impact the decisions of many of the 75% of your tourists who MIGHT have come to Thailand.......

It is a bit ironic that China had already stopped most of the Chinese tourists with their quarantine rules. There is little benefit from allowing the rest of the chinese to come as the financial benefit is small and you alienate your other market sectors.

That, in my mind works out to be 10% of tourists were Chinese. Once I figured out what he was saying....

Even if no Chinese came, 9 million would still have come. The article didn't specify revenue, but if the Chinese spent the same as domestic and other foreign tourists, that's a 10% hit. If they spent twice as much as everyone else, that's a 10.77% hit....isn't it?

They lost me because of the appalling air quality and police road blocks 2-3 times daily being pulled over to check my driving licence. It was surprising they didn't recognise me after several months harassment. After TM30 nonsense and health "insurance" goodbye Thailand altogether.

How are the police going to finance themselves without fining the thousands of Chinese tourists who were fined for not having the right licence now they stay away?