Prostate-medicin in Thailand

glegolo

I have problem in peeing, which about 50% of all over 60 years of age have... I really should like to have the support of Sheryl in this.... Do you happens to know about this stuff??

I have checked PSA several times and it is just fine..... I am bicycling about 40-50 kilometer each day, so maybe that is giving me a pressure on my

"Ureter"?????

I am not sure at all cause I am no doctor, but I did read earlier that these medicines many times can affect the bloodpressure. Yes I am taking bloodpressure-medicin as well.....

May I ask you much kindly if you could inform me how to deal with this, hospital or just a clinik???

Thank you,

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

Depends on the medicines used. There are a variety of possible side effects, and different people are affected in different ways. My father has suffered quite badly from these meds, tiredness, upset stomach, amongst others. For some of the meds the adverse effect could be erectile dysfunction, so if you are married and still enjoying a sex life, this is worth remembering. 

I started suffering a few years ago but have not started on medicines as yet as it is not too serious at the moment. I am only 57. I have been using different supplements which have worked to a reasonable extent. However, ultimately I will have to go over to the meds or have surgery. Because of my father's experience (and I do seem to suffer from the same side effects as him with other stuff), I will probably opt for surgery, TURP or Rezum.      

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Get yourself a split bicycle seat, about 400bht on lazada.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/prologue-adamo-bike-saddles-seat-cycling-saddle-with-round-rail-ism-seat-parts-i313790786-s570952462.html

I take Doxazosin 5mg/day to help with the weeing, it also reduces my blood pressure to about 95/65 as side effect.

Not sure what happens if you're already taking BP medication, you'd need to see a doctor.

Doxazosin certainly resolved my peeing problem and very quickly too. Like the very first night!

And also agree that if taking B/P meds, the O/P should see a doctor before using it. Maybe simply switching to Doxazosin is all that is needed. Taking 4mg has had the beneficial side effect of reducing my BP somewhat.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Depends on the medicines used. There are a variety of possible side effects, and different people are affected in different ways. My father has suffered quite badly from these meds, tiredness, upset stomach, amongst others. For some of the meds the adverse effect could be erectile dysfunction, so if you are married and still enjoying a sex life, this is worth remembering. 

I started suffering a few years ago but have not started on medicines as yet as it is not too serious at the moment. I am only 57. I have been using different supplements which have worked to a reasonable extent. However, ultimately I will have to go over to the meds or have surgery. Because of my father's experience (and I do seem to suffer from the same side effects as him with other stuff), I will probably opt for surgery, TURP or Rezum.      

I know what you mean. I'm a stubborn old B who refuses to take meds unless absolutely necessary! I lasted for about 10 or 12 years until finally at 73 years I was getting concerned that I could cause damage to my kidneys so I gave up the struggle and saw a doctor who started me on Doxazosin. 2 months on and everything is fine now. 

• Like 2

There is a pill, which helps, you flow,  Contiflow XL 400.  Tamsulosin Hydrochloride. Dont know how effective it would be with with you,  I had same problem over the years, I am now recovering from having my prostate out from prostate cancer, Keep an Eye on your condition mine started the same way. 

Edited by Thongkorn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Get yourself a split bicycle seat, about 400bht on lazada.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/prologue-adamo-bike-saddles-seat-cycling-saddle-with-round-rail-ism-seat-parts-i313790786-s570952462.html

I take Doxazosin 5mg/day to fix the weeing, (I went from catheterised couldn't wee at all to completely normal in two months) it also reduces my blood pressure to about 95/65 as side effect.

Not sure what happens if you're already taking BP medication, you'd need to see a doctor.

If I remember correctly, I read a while ago that you took dutasteride (or finasteride). Do you take this together with doxazosin or did you stop taking dutasteride/finasteride?

4 minutes ago, bodo said:

If I remember correctly, I read a while ago that you took dutasteride (or finasteride). Do you take this together with doxazosin or did you stop taking dutasteride/finasteride?

When I first consulted a doctor, he put me on both doxazosin and finasteride. But the latter was only for one week. I then saw the urologist who give me a more intimate examination (I'm sure you all know what I mean) and said to continue with the former but forget the latter.

So now it's 4mg Doxazosin per day and that is working just fine for me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bodo said:

I was taking finasteride 5mg but the tablets were a bit expensive, and six months of them didn't seem to be making any difference. I've been taking one every other day, just to use up what I purchased. I probably won't buy any more.

I've had no side effects from either drug, apart from the reduced blood pressure, which doesn't seem to affect anything.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

It is likely what is called benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH) but you need to have a manual prostate exam to check. In addition choice of medication needs to take your whole medical history and other medications into account.

I never did, the Thai doctor just said "I know exactly what's wrong with you"

Took a blood sample then gave me the Doxazocin, no prostate exam.

The PSA number was low.

He worked me up to 5mg, starting at 1mg, and increasing the dose until everything worked again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Do not self medicate for this. See a urologist.

It is likely what is called benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH) but you need to have a manual prostate exam to check. In addition choice of medication needs to take your whole medical history and other medications into account.

Thank you Sheryl, I will certainly listen to you and go where you suggested,

Thank you so much

Gregor

++++++

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

When I first consulted a doctor, he put me on both doxazosin and finasteride. But the latter was only for one week. I then saw the urologist who give me a more intimate examination (I'm sure you all know what I mean) and said to continue with the former but forget the latter.

So now it's 4mg Doxazosin per day and that is working just fine for me.

Just curious, what is the price for this particular medicin plse??

glegolo

I have been on Alfuzosin for enlarged prostrate to help control frequent urination for 5 or so years now. 

Doctors have tried to give me other meds in addition but they all resulted in eliminating ejaculation.  I find a dry ejaculation to be worse than the cure so I am only on the alfuzosin now with annual prostrate exam and PSA

3 hours ago, glegolo said:

glegolo

From the hospital where I had my diagnosis it was around 600 Baht for 60 tabs (2 months).

Following advise from @Sheryl in my earlier post on this topic (see below) I've now sourced them from a local pharmacy at 390 Baht for the same amount.

4 hours ago, glegolo said:

Doxazocin, 1bht for a 2mg tablet from my local government hospital.

Finisteride 600bht for 30x 5mg tablets from the pharmacy.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I never did, the Thai doctor just said "I know exactly what's wrong with you"

Took a blood sample then gave me the Doxazocin, no prostate exam.

The PSA number was low.

He worked me up to 5mg, starting at 1mg, and increasing the dose until everything worked again.

But in the past I guess you had to undergo a prostate exam before being prescribed finasteride?

12 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Prostagutt contains extracts of saw palmetto and stinging nettle, two ingredients often prescribed by herbalists, especially overseas, however I have tried them both and they haven't helped at all.

I've been taking Saw Palmetto (250 x450mg tabs from IHerb at $19).

Has no effect I can notice.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Never had a prostrate exam in my life.

@BritManToo: I think that is quite remarkable, after all finasteride is a drug meant to shrink the size of the prostate. How can a doctor assess this without doing a prostate exam? Or did you take this drug without consulting a doctor? Just curious.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Prostagutt contains extracts of saw palmetto and stinging nettle, two ingredients often prescribed by herbalists, especially overseas, however I have tried them both and they haven't helped at all.

Pygeum is another one often prescribed, however both doxazosin and tamsulosin are those which have been clinically tested and are recommended by the medical profession as is the combination drug.

I've been taking Saw Palmetto (250 x450mg tabs from IHerb at $19).

Has no effect I can notice.

Well this is good news, no herbal <deleted> then,

thanks for the info guys

glegolo

30 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Well this is good news, no herbal <deleted> then,

thanks for the info guys

glegolo

Don't totally write-off natural remedies. Do some research (use Google Scholar). There are a number of research papers on natural supplements. Some work for some people and not others. Actually, Pygeum has worked to a reasonable degree for me. Only get up once a night now. Beta sitosterol also worked for me for a while. In fact I may go back to it. 

However, I expect that I will reach the stage where modern medicines or surgery are required. Until then, I will keep on with the naturals, have annual PSA tests, etc.  

Edited by GarryP

1 hour ago, bodo said:

@BritManToo: I think that is quite remarkable, after all finasteride is a drug meant to shrink the size of the prostate. How can a doctor assess this without doing a prostate exam? Or did you take this drug without consulting a doctor? Just curious.

Finasteride is not a drug provided by Thai government hospitals.

Doctor said I could try it if I wanted to buy it myself.