• abnormal ejaculation,
  • swelling in your hands or feet,
  • swelling or tenderness in your breasts,
  • dizziness,
  • weakness,
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a TURP operation 5 months ago for the same problem the OP is having. I am 65.

I was incontinent for the first 4 months after the operation but since that resolved itself I was getting pain in my scrotum, so the doc did an ultrasound on that at Xmas, said he would give me some meds as there was nothing obvious, then as that problem seemed to subside I then found I had a pressing urge to wee all the time.

He then gave me a "Flexible Cystoscope" procedure which involved him basically having another look inside and check that all was well.... the procedure (very uncomfortable) showed there was nothing wrong that he could find.

He prescribed another medication called Betmiga and I am currently taking this, but I am also now getting pain and an itch inside my penis, I look at it as it feels like  it has a rash on it, but it's clear, the problem is internal. The pain and itch have only come on since the procedure, I did not have those problems before.

So every few hours the issue goes from wanting to pee, to itching, to pain, all the time.

He gave me a/bs after the procedure and when I rang to tell him what was happening he told me to get some more which I have since done, but everything is the same.

I am hoping that a prolonged course of Betmiga plus the anti-biotics will do whatever they need to so that I can be finally free of this curse.

It's no fun!!

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

Just be aware......................

Side effects of Finasteride include:
  • impotence,
  • loss of interest in sex,
  • trouble having an orgasm,
  • abnormal ejaculation,
  • swelling in your hands or feet,
  • swelling or tenderness in your breasts,
  • dizziness,
  • weakness,

Didn't do any of that to me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

So every few hours the issue goes from wanting to pee, to itching, to pain, all the time.

He gave me a/bs after the procedure and when I rang to tell him what was happening he told me to get some more which I have since done, but everything is the same.

Bad luck dude, hope you get better soon.

Sounds like a UTI, but what do I know.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Bad luck dude, hope you get better soon.

Sounds like a UTI, but what do I know.

That's what the anti-biotics say is one of the things they are supposed to cure, and as I don't have an ear infection I would guess that's what it might be, but 2 days before I had the "Procedure" I had a urine test and it was negative

So I must have got the UTI from "The Procedure" which he may of thought I would get as he gave me six of these a/b's at the time

Weird, just weird

25 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

That's what the anti-biotics say is one of the things they are supposed to cure, and as I don't have an ear infection I would guess that's what it might be, but 2 days before I had the "Procedure" I had a urine test and it was negative

So I must have got the UTI from "The Procedure" which he may of thought I would get as he gave me six of these a/b's at the time

Weird, just weird

When they shove stuff up there, there's always a chance of a UTI.

It's normally something like strep, which is all over the outside of your skin and the doctors skin.

I had a UTI a few years back that Amoxy didn't touch, but Cipro killed instantly.

Edited by BritManToo

From my experience it also good idea to change your diet.

My doctor gave me list which foods to avoid as I age.

For example itching in penis caused by spices and alcohol, also beef should be avoided. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, olfu said:

From my experience it also good idea to change your diet.

My doctor gave me list which foods to avoid as I age.

For example itching in penis caused by spices and alcohol, also beef should be avoided. 

I always love the Quack diet suggestions.

They're usually more bonkers than the 'herbal remedies' suggestions.

Is life really worth living as a Vegan teetotaller?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

Weird, just weird

No Pauly, not weird, and not uncommon, and I got a couple of UTIs from cystoscopies..........a usual culprit is E coli, so hopefully the Dr will have given you the right antibiotic for that (or after a culture if they can do that).

Hope things keep improving for you.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, glegolo said:

Well this is good news, no herbal <deleted> then,

thanks for the info guys

glegolo

I am taking Beta Sitosterol daily for a slow urine flow and it seems to work for me.

Do a little research on it and won't harm to give it a try.........and it may help lower your cholesterol levels at the same time!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Didn't do any of that to me.

The list of possible side effects is just that.....possible and drug companies are supposed to list the side effects by law, hence a long list included in the drug packet.

Even this has been questioned as with the damning list of side effects (some hithertoo undisclosed) from fluoroquinolone antibiotics (Ciprofloxacin for example).

43 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I am taking Beta Sitosterol daily for a slow urine flow and it seems to work for me.

Do a little research on it and won't harm to give it a try.........and it may help lower your cholesterol levels at the same time!!

Thank you have started to google now, but it seems to be possible to purchase only online. Or did you find it here in Thailand?????

glegolo

ps I found this just now, doesn´t seem to work though without more "help"

"Higher doses were not able to improve upon these results. While beta-sitosterol cannot directly treat BPH, it may be used in complement with traditional drugs for men with decreased urinary flow and urinary hesistancy."

Edited by glegolo

1 hour ago, glegolo said:

Thank you have started to google now, but it seems to be possible to purchase only online. Or did you find it here in Thailand?????

glegolo

ps I found this just now, doesn´t seem to work though without more "help"

"Higher doses were not able to improve upon these results. While beta-sitosterol cannot directly treat BPH, it may be used in complement with traditional drugs for men with decreased urinary flow and urinary hesistancy."

It seems to work for me, and other searches do report on its efficacy in this regard.

I buy it from iHerb....Source Naturals Mega Strength Beta Sitosterol 375mg, 120 tablets and postage via normal airmail ($5.00).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, xylophone said:

It seems to work for me, and other searches do report on its efficacy in this regard.

I buy it from iHerb....Source Naturals Mega Strength Beta Sitosterol 375mg, 120 tablets and postage via normal airmail ($5.00).

Found it, thank you, but unfortunately they were out of stock it says. I keep a shortcut to this website and hope they will refill their stock soon.. Do you have any feeling that pharmacies might have this stuff or special herbal stores maybe??

glegolo

17 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Found it, thank you, but unfortunately they were out of stock it says. I keep a shortcut to this website and hope they will refill their stock soon.. Do you have any feeling that pharmacies might have this stuff or special herbal stores maybe??

glegolo

Appear to be out of stock on other sites too. Saw some available from Shopee but very expensive. More than twice the iherb price. BTW, I used to use the 113mg version. 

32 minutes ago, glegolo said:

glegolo

Available online at Healthpost NZ....and cheaper than locally with low postage costs.

https://www.healthpost.co.nz/search-results/?q=beta sitosterol

3 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Available online at Healthpost NZ....and cheaper than locally with low postage costs.

https://www.healthpost.co.nz/search-results/?q=beta sitosterol

Great info, I will order from there then. Lets hope it is the very same 375 mg that it was on IHERB, cant find any info on the in this website... Butmaybe I am not looking good enough..

glegolo

13 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Great info, I will order from there then. Lets hope it is the very same 375 mg that it was on IHERB, cant find any info on the in this website... Butmaybe I am not looking good enough..

glegolo

It is the same and have bought it there previously.

• Like 1

I had/have an enlarged prostrate which was a problem... but less so now.  The doc at Sak Lek hospital prescribed 1 * Proseride 5mg for day and 1 * Prazosin 1mg for night.  Instead of going to the loo 4 or 5 times a night I am only going 1 or 2 times a night.  But I  think one or both are interfering with my sex life. Another visit to  the doc me thinks! 

8 hours ago, glegolo said:

Thanks, took a chance and already placed the order, and hopefully I will have it within a week with NZD 5.- in postage???

glegolo

Don't expect it to work immediately. It may take a few weeks or even a couple of months before you see any difference. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Don't expect it to work immediately. It may take a few weeks or even a couple of months before you see any difference. 

Thank you for information. I will now go to a real doctor on saturday morning so he can check me up, and hopefully put me on medicin.... I can take my online thing besides the medicin I guess...

glegolo

25 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Thank you for information. I will now go to a real doctor on saturday morning so he can check me up, and hopefully put me on medicin.... I can take my online thing besides the medicin I guess...

glegolo

Good luck. It should be okay to take with other medicines, but perhaps you should mention it to your doctor. In fact I am considering going back to beta sitosterol but taking it in conjunction with Pygeum which I am currently taking. May go over to the 375mg as opposed to the 113mg I was on before. However, sooner or later I will need to visit the doctor too.  

It would appear that new treatments are being developed all the time. I just came across this one: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/24/pioneering-prostate-treatment-gets-nhs-green-light/

Rezum is also an interesting treatment. 

I am just scared of the side effects of medicines as my dad has suffered terribly, while others have not suffered at all. It is pretty much the luck of the draw. Unfortunately, genetics would appear to go against me. 

Edited by GarryP
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 6:52 AM, BritManToo said:

I always love the Quack diet suggestions.

They're usually more bonkers than the 'herbal remedies' suggestions.

So, if you were suffering from a severe case of Scurvy and I suggested that you incorporate some fresh fruit into your diet you would dismiss me as a quack?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, glegolo said:

glegolo

I would suggest a number of things. 1. Do some groin stretches after bicycling so your pelvic floor muscles don't get too tight. 2. Order yourself a Spongy Wonder bicycle seat so you don't have anything pressing against your pudendal nerve or prostate. 3. knock off all the spicy and acidic foods. 4. Eat a small handful of raw unsalted pumpkin seeds everyday. You can order them online. 5. Go easy on the caffeine. 6. Drink lots of water and cranberry juice.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 5:48 PM, glegolo said:

Thank you guys for your postings!!

It feels comforting to see others in the same predicament as me...

glegolo

For you that appreciate a follow up, I can describe than the following what happened today. I will try to be as short as possible, and plse bear with me, I am not a native english speaker.

I went 2 times with 2 days inbetween testing. I took the scary PSA-test. I ended up with 14,5 which feels lika a death-sentence big time....

I stopped bicyckling for 2 days and went friday last again, and thought, now I will show them. Hmmm test showed 14,7 even worse...... OK I am done definately now, I must go to this Urologist...... I got one recommended locally and didn´t have to go to Bangkok Hospital in Khorat 250 kilometers back and forth......

This morning at 09.30 I saw a 40 year old fluent english spoken thai doctor fully modern. and I was so surpriced so I had to ask him if he really was born here in Chaiyaphum, and he assured me that he was. If he was educated abroad I     didn´t ask that.

He took the ultrasound-machine and went through the stomach and the sides, and then he stuff his finger up my ass sorry rectrum..... Sorry but If I were homo of some sort I should probably have been a quite bad one, I do not like stuff getting IN down there, not when it suppossingly should instead getting OUT there.....

After that check up, back to his writingdesk and he told me, "you see, your number 14,7 doesn´t at all mean that you have to have cancer, there is a number of reasons for this number to be so high. I am convinced that you have besides an enlarged protate also an infection in your urin-bladder and that area...."  I can tell you that your kidneys look healthy, you urinbladder looks just fine and so did also your prostate. When checking manually I could NOT find anything strange at all with your prostate so I am gong to give you medicine for these 2 reasons I have described"....

I paid later 3,200 baht for medicin for at least 21 days ahead and this appointment in hole.... Cheap or expensive I let you guys decide that. If some of you are interested about the medicines so let me give you the names.... But first I did mention that medicin; Doxazocin, that was mentioned here in the most positive ways.... My doctor said when I mentioned it, that no problem, but I have more modern medicines to give you. And with that I closed my mouth of course.....

So the medicines were; XATRAL, for enlarged prostate... FLAVORIN, for make it easy for peeing and pain and relaxing the muscles down there..... UROKA, I dont know exact but it works together with Xaral as I understand it.... and finally he gave me; CIPROTFLOXACIN, which is a urin-antibiotika-medicin......

So with luck this should be it for me, feels like a Freecard for getting out of jail of some sort... So quite happy now....

glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, glegolo said:

CIPROTFLOXACIN, which is a urin-antibiotika-medicin......

Careful with the Cipro, one of it's side effects is torn ligaments (especially Achilles tendons), sometimes months after taking it. You'll need to be very careful with the cycling.

Doxazocin is a fairly old drug, but it's really cheap and works on me, so I'm happy to take it.

Xatral (aka Alfuzosin) is just a more modern version.

Flavorin appears to be to help incontinence at night, if you're not leaking, (which is quite an advanced stage of BPH) I'm not sure why you would be taking it.

Uroka (aka Dutasteride) is a more advanced form of Finasteride (did nothing for me over 6 months, neither positive or negative), supposedly shrinks your prostate by inhibiting testosterone production, side effects impotence and growing breasts, watch out for that.

Is 3,200bht cheap or expensive?

Well if it's every month, seems expensive compared to my costs of 275bht every three months.

You've not actually said what the problem is.

Can't pee, want to pee all the time, peeing yourself at night.

These are just some of the symptoms depending on the stage of the illness you're at.

Just for comparison, I went from hard to pee, to couldn't pee at all in a space of 2-4 weeks and my PSA was 2

I never got to the point of peeing myself in the night which is the end game when your bladders the size of a football.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Careful with the Cipro, one of it's side effects is torn ligaments (especially Achilles tendons), sometimes months after taking it. You'll need to be very careful with the cycling.

Doxazocin is a fairly old drug, but it's really cheap and works on me, so I'm happy to take it.

Xatral (aka Alfuzosin) is just a more modern version.

Flavorin appears to be to help incontinence at night, if you're not leaking, (which is quite an advanced stage of BPH) I'm not sure why you would be taking it.

Uroka (aka Dutasteride) is a more advanced form of Finasteride (did nothing for me over 6 months, neither positive or negative), supposedly shrinks your prostate by inhibiting testosterone production, side effects impotence and growing breasts, watch out for that.

Is 3,200bht cheap or expensive?

Well if it's every month, seems expensive compared to my costs of 275bht every three months.

You've not actually said what the problem is.

Can't pee, want to pee all the time, peeing yourself at night.

These are just some of the symptoms depending on the stage of the illness you're at.

Just for comparison, I went from hard to pee, to couldn't pee at all in a space of 2-4 weeks and my PSA was 2

I never got to the point of peeing myself in the night which is the end game when your bladders the size of a football.

My problem in short is, I have an a) infection down there and I have b) an enlarged prostate. This morning when waking up, I went up 1 time to pee, not 5 times, and a noticed that I got the pee out rather more quickly then before.

glegolo

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No disrespect, but I took you seriously, and read into the sideeffects for this medicin called CIPROTFLOXACIN... I found as usual a LOT of those. Scary just to read them,, until I came to look more closer at the diagram or chart rather....

For common sideeffects there were non, from 1/100 up to 1/1000 there the most, there were not Achilles mentioned... under 1.000 up to 10.000 there were not achilles mention....  So where did you get that from?????

Otherwise I am in agreement in general, I hate medicines, but unfortunately I cant live without them...

glegolo

Edited by glegolo