Korat

Alexander2020

I am looking at relocating to Korat with my wife for employment. I wonder if members can give me an idea of how much I should be earning each month in order to have a 'middle class' life (and I appreciate this is really subjective). Your time and all input will be much appreciated.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

From where do you want to relocate?

Did you care to get same basic information about visa and work permit rules in Thailand before considering to relocate? Very strict limitations on getting a work permit etc.

Do you think you can just settle here and look for some arbitrary job?

1 hour ago, Alexander2020 said:

Boomer, I apologize for my awkward post. What is a decent salary for a couple, where one is the income earner, in Korat? The minimum. I would really appreciate your input. Also, are there other sites I can go to to prepare for our possible arrival?

That depends a lot on you, as I said in my previous post a comfortable western middle class  life style requires the figure I have indicated (200000/month for a family of 4). Now if you searched though this forum, as I did, you'd see that  this topic has come up many times, and what strikes me is that there is something like a divide between people who agree with me and another population who believes that one can scrape by here for close to nothing. My feeling is that we have, on one hand professionals with true international backgrounds who come with solid packages and/or sound business plans to achieve an enviable lifestyle here. And on the other hand backpackers or retirees who come here because a cheap life doesn't go well with the Northern winter.

It is true that many Thai middle class families earn between 50 to a 100 grand, but that would have too many limitations for many of us.

• Like 2

KhunBENQ, I have been offered what I think is a good position. I have lots of international experience, so forgive me for giving the wrong impression. I do not feel entitled. I visited Thailand some years ago and enjoyed my experiences a lot. I am newly married and so these concerns I have raised, however clumsily, are a genuine request for information. I am responsible for two, now.

Boomer6969, Thank you. I do appreciate your insights. Yes, I am looking to gauge what is required to live with some comfort. I will search the forum, as you suggest, and I would be an expat that falls into the former characterization and have no interest in scraping by, as you say. Thank you, again.