Throwaway single-way ticket out of Thailand

Does anyone know what destinations are the cheapest throwaway single-way ticket out of Thailand to a neighbouring country and from which airport in Thailand? Just in case it's needed.

Edited by bbi1

Very same Q hs been asked here many, many times. There is no definite foolproof answer. DO realise that any airbooking out always includes the 700 bt airporttax-though on some airlines you can claim that back if not used. Also tickets as such are not used in airtraffic since some 4-5 yrs now at least. The technical term is POOT=proof of onward travel. Thai immi hardly ever asks for this (I doubt if all their staff can even comprehend it) but IF they do its the AIRline that brings you in. Mostly its or/or: visa OR POOT to qualify acc. to the rules for visa-exempt and also for VoA for suspect nations.

It should be rather obvious that the closer by and the more flites on a place the higher the chance of finding a lower price. Thus look at the well known budget airlines, despised by so many so often-those that charge extra for each and every thing beside just travel without luggage. AirAsia, LionAirThai, ThaiVietJet are generally cheap. Destinations like KUL, PhnomPenh, penang, HCMC are close by. For VN most farang will also need a visa, Camb too, but thats just pay on arrival. Expect to have to pay at least, with luck, around 1000 bt due to this tax. With patience and pressing AirAsia will in the end refund 600 out of 700 bt tax, or at least that was the case till I stopped working. In the end the cheapest = tourist visa 60 d will cost roughly the same-but asks more legwork etc from you before.

Or you can buy a full fare ticket with a major airline that has a full refund policy.

Mind, BA still charges a £15 fee for a fully refundable ticket ............. but that is cheaper than the tax out of Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Here is a trick to get an idea of which international flights out of Thailand might be cheapest. What is shows initially is likely to be inaccurate, but with some effort you can find a cheap flight.

• Go to https://www.skyscanner.co.th/
  • Enter From Thailand
  • Enter To Anywhere
  • Ensure one-way is selected, and choose whole month for the Departure Date
  • Click Search Flights, and investigate the results.

Thanks for that. I usually just check one-by-one using Google Flights which is more accurate (IME), but it's nice to get some alternative options without too much manual work. Gotta keep in mind visa limitations though - I am not sure if an IO (or at flight check in) they verify your visa qualification for the onward ticket - do they? Personally my main passport can only enter Singapore/HK/Cambodia/Philippines visa exempt, so Malaysia/Vietnam/Laos aren't really an option unless they do NOT check visa requirement for onward ticket.

11 minutes ago, briley said:

Or you can buy a full fare ticket with a major airline that has a full refund policy.

Another option is to buy somewhere like Expedia US site - make sure the ticket specifically says it is refundable for free within 24-hours. You can also do that same with airline rewards programs (United etc), but keep in mind they do NOT refund close-in booking fees even if you cancel within 24-hours. Found out the hard way. You'd want to buy a ticket well in advance to get a "real" free 24hr cancellation from them.

The downside with this method is that you will be out of cash (and perhaps miles) for about a week - it takes them a while to refund it - so if it is an expensive ticket that might be an issue.

I would just play around with say AirAsia.

Check some routes that are generally cheap. Other than that Google "rent a flight". These agents provide a CONFIRMED flight (non usable) with validity 48hours. Cost ~ $12usd.

Just now I checked AirAsia bkk to Saigon Feb date. 1090baht. 

Edited by DrJack54

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I would just play around with say AirAsia.

Check some routes that are generally cheap. Other than that Google "rent a flight". These agents provide a CONFIRMED flight (non usable) with validity 48hours. Cost ~ $12usd.

Just now I checked AirAsia bkk to Saigon Feb date. 1090baht. 

Air Asia to Can Tho (also Vietnam) is a little cheaper. Sometimes, Air Asia is not the cheapest option, however. If looking for the very cheapest option, a more general search such as SkyScanner is recommended.

• Like 1

AirAsia works great. If you ultimately don't use the ticket, you can easily request an airport tax refund, so if you book let's say a promotional ticket from Bangkok to Da Nang for 1400 baht, you'll get about 700 baht back and lose about as much.

13 minutes ago, Caldera said:

AirAsia works great. If you ultimately don't use the ticket, you can easily request an airport tax refund, so if you book let's say a promotional ticket from Bangkok to Da Nang for 1400 baht, you'll get about 700 baht back and lose about as much.

And that takes months. 

I already posted Bkk Saigon 1090baht. Along with rent a ticket 12 USD.

Would you waste time for airport tax refund. Up to you. 

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

And that takes months. 

I already posted Bkk Saigon 1090baht. Along with rent a ticket 12 USD.

Would you waste time for airport tax refund. Up to you. 

Waste time? Chat with Ava, 2 minutes tops. Or do you mean the time waiting for the refund? I don't know about you, but I can live with being 700 baht out of pocket for a while. Beats booking a "fully refundable" full price ticket.

Personally, I find "rent a ticket" questionable. I'm not sure if it's outright illegal or if anyone ever actually got into trouble, but it isn't for me.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Waste time? Chat with Ava, 2 minutes tops. Or do you mean the time waiting for the refund? I don't know about you, but I can live with being 700 baht out of pocket for a while. Beats booking a "fully refundable" full price ticket.

Personally, I find "rent a ticket" questionable. I'm not sure if it's outright illegal or if anyone ever actually got into trouble, but it isn't for me.

Geez, it's not questionable. It's for airline boarding pass, not immigration. I never suggested book fully refundable ticket. Stupid idea. 

Read all the options I suggested. 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Geez, it's not questionable. It's for airline boarding pass, not immigration.

You just made that up. The OP made no mention of what the outbound ticket is needed for.

Edited by Caldera
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Caldera said:

You just made that up. The OP made no mention of what the outbound ticket is needed for.

Hell's bells anyone would assume he needs one for perhaps visa exempt entry.

The airline will need need see onward flight if he does not have visa or reentry permit. If the OP had a visa he would not have posted his question. 

Reason is that eg setv requires onward flight. If he had a visa then airline staff would not require to view onward flight.

12 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Another option is to buy somewhere like Expedia US site - make sure the ticket specifically says it is refundable for free within 24-hours.

been using this trick dozens of time whenever I cross a border that requires a ticket out, got a refund within the next day at most if not within minutes of cancelling. The interface is really great, you get a counter to see how much time is left before the free cancellation expires.

Edited by freeman01
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, freeman01 said:

been using this trick dozens of time whenever I cross a border that requires a ticket out, got a refund within the next day at most if not within minutes of cancelling. The interface is really great, you get a counter to see how much time is left before the free cancellation expires.

Thanks. Seriously not aware of that and I fly almost every week. Will check it out as onward flight very common issue for some. 

10 hours ago, dayo202 said:

bus ticket online from udon to Vientiane 

1 hour ago, JCP108 said:

If I need POOT, I would probably get a cheap bus ticket Udon to Vientienne.

Would an airline ever actually accept a bus ticket as proof of onward travel or is this just an urban myth? And if it would, why would an onward air ticket be deemed necessary when a bus ticket would do? 

7 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Would an airline ever actually accept a bus ticket as proof of onward travel or is this just an urban myth? And if it would, why would an onward air ticket be deemed necessary when a bus ticket would do? 

This keeps being asked and I have personally spoken in detail to airline clerk twice. I fly every few weeks to Saigon. 

I keep paper clip on my reentry permit page. The airline staff look for visa or reentry permit. Not having either they ask for onward FLIGHT. There will be folk post that they flew in visa exempt without onward flight. They got lucky. That's all.

Last Nov I was returning home from AU to bkk, but firstly flying to Saigon for weekend chill. I had multi visa for Vietnam however only had week validity.

The Jetstar chick would not issue me boarding pass without me bringing up on cell my flight X Saigon to Bkk. She was out of line because I had visa but regardless no problem.

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The airline staff look for visa or reentry permit. Not having either they ask for onward FLIGHT. There will be folk post that they flew in visa exempt without onward flight. They got lucky. That's all.

Yes, bus tickets as an onward means of transportation may have worked at some point in the past, but (as with re-selling plane tickets) they now seem to have suffered the same fate as the dodo. 

• Sad 1