BANGKOK
kolder

Corona Virus in Myanmar

What about Corona Virus in Myanmar, any known cases so far?

In what way do Myanmar media cover news about the virus, is it a lot or just a little?

Is it huge news in Myanmar, or not really a big deal and concern?

Government isn't really sharing info. Keep in mind the large numbers of migrant workers.

No VoA for Chinese visitors in an effort to  discourage visitors.

Edited by geriatrickid

On 2/9/2020 at 5:43 PM, geriatrickid said:

Government isn't really sharing info. Keep in mind the large numbers of migrant workers.

No VoA for Chinese visitors in an effort to  discourage visitors.

Just because it isn't talked about much, doesn't mean, it doesn't exist. 

Migrant workers, I assume, they are mainly non Chinese?

Just came back from there. A far smaller deal is made than in Thailand. Similar amount of mention in the local English language media - surprised about the decision to suspend VOA for Chinese but presumably this only applies to the VOA granted at airports, which very few people use anyway given most travelers (including Chinese) opt for the more flexible e-visa, which more than likely are still being issued to Chinese.

Only at larger 4 and 5 star hotels (mainly in Yangon) and shopping malls do they use thermal scanners. Airports presumably too (I traveled by land). Nothing in smaller cities; business as usual. Nothing at the land border though - funny thing was that they just erected a screen at immigration upon my departure, but a week earlier there was nothing. No scans though.

Hardly anyone is wearing a mask, granted though in Thailand (especially Bangkok) many (most?) people wearing masks are protecting themselves from pollution rather than concerns about the coronavirus.

10 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Hardly anyone is wearing a mask, granted though in Thailand (especially Bangkok) many (most?) people wearing masks are protecting themselves from pollution rather than concerns about the coronavirus.

No, as a longtime BKK resident, I think you've got that wrong. FAR MORE people around BKK are wearing face masks now because of the CV compared to recent and past smog seasons when the only reason was smog. From my observations, mask wear is up significantly around BKK just since the outbreak of CV, especially among the working/office crowd set of Thais.

On 2/14/2020 at 9:16 PM, drbeach said:

Just came back from there. 

Only at larger 4 and 5 star hotels (mainly in Yangon) and shopping malls do they use thermal scanners. Airports presumably too 

Yes, thermal scanners are used in the airports. I just came here a few days ago

Concerning the masks in Bangkok, they are mainly for the virus.