Tapae Place Hotel-chiang Mai

Rinrada

Looks like a quick visit to Chiang Mai on the cards for the weekend and khun wifes mate has suggested the Tapae Place Hotel (friends and aw that)but I dont know anything about it.

Anyone with some info please?..ASAP

I havnt been up there in over 10-12 years etc.so a bit out of touch

Incid. its NOT the Tapae Gate but as said T.Place Hotel.

She was there about 8 weeks ago checking out some land she wants to buy and on that occasion I got them into Rydges (Bt 1200 a night) but they objected to the Tuk Tuk costs and Thai women dont tend to like healthy "envigorating "walks. :D

Also any new decent (new) pubs?

I know the Red Lion,Irish Gin Joint,Mango and the Bears Den...but.. :D:o

I haven't stayed there but know where it is and have had 2 friends stay there. I'd say it's good value for the money, considering it's around 500 baht. Also no arguments about location, right in the middle of town.

Another good one to consider in that price range is the Top North Hotel, (not Top North Guesthouse). That one actually has something of a pool and is also centrally located AT Thapae Gate. This one is a newer hotel compared to Thapae Place.

See: http://www.thaiways.co.th/chiang_mai_hotel...orth_hotel.html

Haven't actually stayed in either, so can't compare. I know that one friend who stayed at Thapae Place didn't stay there on his next visit, even though he said it was basically OK hotel. If I had to make a choise myself I'd probably take Top North, but it would be based on guessing/intuition just like it is for you.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Thapae Place anytime over the Top North. Staff are extremely courteous, and the rooms are well set up. All the usual mods, full air con, mini bar, UBC etc. A great plus is the fact that you have great city and mountain views if you get one of the back rooms. Prices range from 550-650 depending on season. Excellent value, and have used it many times....Maejo

My experience at Thapae Place, some years ago, were not pleasant at all. First room had no furniture, hot water that scalded or was cold and an air conditioner that did not work. 30 minutes later, and two requests to move and a trip to front desk, moved to another room, that housekeeping forgot to clean (even dirty dishes in room). Attempt one day to eat resulted in 10 minute wait and apparent non operation of restaurant. Last night air conditioner froze up and night manager decided to fix rather than allow us to move - this resulted in him using hose from bathroom in attempt to melt the ice and of course drain could not cope so room became flooded. At that point we were allowed to move (after three hours of total nonsense).

Will not take another chance on them but perhaps they have their act together a little better now. :o

Thapae Place and Top North are within easy distance.

Go to one then the other and ask to see the rooms.

Not that hard :o

Enjoy the visit.

There is a new Irish bar at Anusarn market.

Aircon and full of smoke according to my dinner partner yesterday but .....

CT

Yeah, O'Malleys.. Looks nice enough. Owner sounds distinctly American though. :-) I think The Bear's Den looks even more impressive though, and may even be cheaper. Easier to park too.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Thapae Place Hotel.

It gets my vote.

Very central, no worry about the tuk tuk scams (certainly less that at Ridges) rooms are clean, it's quiet, and do negotiate on the rate. (your wife if Thai will have an edge on that)

They used to provide breakfast which was a bit of a downside and cannot be compared to say Nana but then for the price "what the h*ll" there are plenty of restaurants just around the corner on Thapae Road.

Yeah, O'Malleys.. Looks nice enough. Owner sounds distinctly American though. :-) I think The Bear's Den looks even more impressive though, and may even be cheaper. Easier to park too.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Owner is American seems like a nice guy!Thats one of the few places that i always see at least the bar full in CM.I wonder why?

It is on the expensive side. and the food is average Farang food He claimed the best Fish and chips but not even close. when we went in and had a bite with 1 Farang and 5 thais we got overcharged :o so check bill!!=R

Many thanks everyone for all of you great information ref; the T.Gate hotel.C.M.

After all that I have just heard that wifes mate wants to stay at the Ridges "for have a look"weekend. :D

Its all right for some innit..her and her buddies swanning about Bangers MBK,Big Cs,Robbies,Seacon etc...all designer shops with Air Con.while muggins sits here in Islington sweating my breaks off in would you believe 38 degrees.C.

London just aint geared up for it.

The buses are like gas ovens,the underground is rem.of Dantes Inferno,trains keep breaking down/cancelled or are going on strike and Ken will probabally be re-elected.(free bottles of mineral water for all)as Mayor again....

Roll on the weekend and a couple of days aways :o

That bit of land we will be checking out is beginning to look good :D

off sam kam pang Superhighway (wherever that is?)

anyway

Couple of Boozers just noticed on C.M online ...(looking good)

For info..

The Red Lion English Pub & Restaurant

Smiling Monkey Pub & Restaurant

White Lotus Restaurant & Bar

COZY CORNER

SPOTLIGHT BAR

HAUS MUNCHEN BAR & RESTAURANT

IRISH PUB

KAFE RESTAURANT

THA CHANG PUB & RESTAURANT

THE ESCAPE BAR

THE RIVERSIDE BAR & RESTAURANT

TRUE BLUE

DUANGTAWAN BEER GARDEN

LARN MAE PING BEER GARDEN

ROCK HARD MUSIC PUB

Again many thanks all for info :D

Cutie!

Why don't you give the guy a break.

Thats just for starters.

And Rinrada, you should by the way add "Star Six" to your itinery. Got some pretty exotic Northern Thai folks there to suss out (thats if you're not accommodated by the time you leave Spotlight)

p.s. actually Rinrada I am not all that impressed with your "to do list" (apart from Spotlight, Kafe and White Lotus.

The rest are all has beens. NO! actually "never weres"

:o

My quick opinion. ;-)

> The Red Lion English Pub & Restaurant

Sad to say it's had it's day. I do like the place and would be the first to return when the food & service situation improves, some bigger TV's are installed for sports, the seating area in general is optimized, though that big wooden pillar right in the middle of it all doesn't help I suppose. Try O'Malleys close by at Anusarn Market.

> Smiling Monkey Pub & Restaurant

No. Then again, it's been years since I was there the last time and it's changed owners more than .. than.. never mind. So it may or may not be ok these days but after some distinctly mediocre food experiences there I will leave this to others to check up on.

> White Lotus Restaurant & Bar

Ok I suppose. Doesn't really seem to be a real vibe to it and doesn't excel in any way. Neither good nor bad.

COZY CORNER

The gogo bar huh.. well, have a 3 second peek inside which should tell you enough. The next door beer bar under the same management can be ok though and is not expensive.

> SPOTLIGHT BAR

Best gogo bar in Chiang Mai. If this is your cup of tea than it's a proper one.

> HAUS MUNCHEN BAR & RESTAURANT

Why am I not surprised.. same management as Red Lion, and suffers from some of the same issues. The next door Hofbrauhaus is a totally solid choice for good old German/Bavarian fare, if you can get over those Thai waitresses with very awkwqard hunter's hats & lederhosen.

> IRISH PUB

Used to be great for both food and a drink, now under new management and the owner seems to focus on the bar upstairs and not on the bakery & food downstairs, which used to be excellent when Daeng & Rosemary were together and running the place. Shadow of it's former self now.

> KAFE RESTAURANT

Great place!!! Cheap beer, good food, and one of the few places in Chiang Mai where you can get good CHiang Mai food, up to and including some seriously exotic things with ant eggs and bamboo worms, but ALSO a fair Cordon Bleu, burgers, fries, etc. And did I mention the cheap beer? Especially if you stay at Rydges which is directly opposite it, you have to go here at least once.

> THA CHANG PUB & RESTAURANT

Don't know.

THE ESCAPE BAR

> I have a feeling some other readers here frequent the place far more than I do (=once in my life) so better let the frequent customers do the talking on this one.

> THE RIVERSIDE BAR & RESTAURANT

Awesome. Tell any restaurateur in the country that the target is to have a restaurant that's as popular with Thais as it is with expats and tourists, and as popular among middle aged people looking for great food along the river AND also popular among a young crowd with good live music and this restaurateur will likely scratch his head. The Riverside though has managed to do this for 20 years straight.

> TRUE BLUE

Know where it is. I'm not going to show my age by ranting on Domino's. ;-)

> DUANGTAWAN BEER GARDEN

In front of the Top North hotel perhaps?? Alsways seemed expensive to me, and in a place with a little less than clear mountain air in that spot.. This is not 'Saeng Tawan' by any chance right, in front of the old Saeng Tawan cinema? That place sucks.

> LARN MAE PING BEER GARDEN

At the Mae Ping hotel perhaps? Pretty ok, but not cheap.

> ROCK HARD MUSIC PUB

Just another beer bar.

Also you forgot to add a place like Mad Dog Bar on Moon Muang Road and of course Mango Tree restaurant!!! ;-)

There's some more restaurant ideas in my signature link below.

Cheers,

Chanchao