TV Signal Booster

scottiejohn

Am in CM and the other half is trying to watch Thai TV (Ch 7 etc) using external Aerial via a “digital set top box” but the picture keeps freezing, but not going blank.

I have seen this on Lazada and wonder if it would help with my problem?

BETA UV-998D Digital TV Signal Booster

Frequency Range: VHF, UHF (Digital), FM 40-860 MHz
Channels 2-69
Gain 28 dB ± 2%
Input Attenuation 0-20 dB
Noise Figure < 5 dB
Input Impedance 75 Ω
Output Impedance 75 Ω
Main Power, Output level @ -60 dBIMD3 105dBμV
Main PowerAC 220 V 50Hz
Specifications of BETA Digital TV Signal Booster Model BETA UV-998D
Brand Beta SKU BE876ELAA2NXW2ANTH-5786047

Any advice/help or suggestions (other than going cable/streaming etc) would be welcome.

What values are being shown for Signal Strength and Signal Quality?

You may be able to improve things by moving the antenna somewhat.

How big is the antenna and how far are you from the transmitter, a better antenna is always a better solution than an amplifier.

Are you pointing the right way? (there's a pointing App available)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As said signal boosters need a signal to boost and it appears you can not provide a single set (they are designed to provide multi outputs basically).  As said outside antennas are available and need to point in the correct direction.

An alternative is switch to Satellite service - it is free and you will have several hundred channels in Thai.  Not expensive for dish and tuner.  Do others in your area use this system?

• Thanks 1

I'm in a bad reception area  but have been getting good results with this antenna

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=BETA+Digital+TV+Antenna+(HD-37E)

And a signal booster  with built in  mobile phone bandpass filter

http://www.idea-sat.com/id-u30lte/

this used to be sold on Lazada but seems not to be anymore.

for pointing direction please see here

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the above.

I am looking at moving my AE from outside the 2nd floor (Thai numbering) (as there are trees in the way) to the rooftop of a 4 stories building.

Assuming the AE is pointing in the correct direction will the amplifier detailed in my first post, or something similar, work or are they just a gimmick.

It is hard to say as there are no guarantees; as in life.  But basically boosters compensate for line loss and multiple outputs as they will amplify noise just as signal so without the clean signal to begin with not much help.  But if you can increase height and view that may give you a better signal and the booster will then allow longer run of cable to TV set.  I would give it a try if cost is reasonable. 

• Thanks 1

Yes put the "booster" as close to the antenna as possible ( in the dry ) as @lopburi3 mentions moving the antenna to a higher location and a clear line of sight to the transmitter might be enough on its own...there is also maybe a possibility of mobile phone signal interference..the  ID-U30LTE  "booster"  takes care of that.

• Like 1

Is there not some point where the length of cable necessitates a booster and if so do any of you know what sort of height/length that is?  I promise to go and measure the length of cable involved tomorrow and get back!

Thanks for all the advice so far.

PS;  I think I know my computer tech but Thailand/TV's baffle me!

Edited by scottiejohn

12 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Is there not some point where the length of cable necessitates a booster and if so do any of you know what sort of height/length that is?  I promise to go and measure the length of cable involved tomorrow and get back!

Thanks for all the advice so far.

PS;  I think I know my computer tech but Thailand/TV's baffle me!

How long is a string?  Yes that is what boosters are used for - overcome long runs and multi taps (more than one TV set).  Be sure to use good quality coax of the RG6 type.  You do not want RG59 that we used in the analog days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

How long is a string?  Yes that is what boosters are used for - overcome long runs and multi taps (more than one TV set).  Be sure to use good quality coax of the RG6 type.  You do not want RG59 that we used in the analog days.

Thanks again.

I am only looking at one TV/box.

Have a large coil of coax at home so will revert tomorrow with it's markings to see if it is RG6/59 and suitable.

have you entirely replaced the old analog TV antenna too? 

noticed your Amp is capable down to FM

the combo of the old analog AE, and the Amp together are a likely cause for picking up interference, of the type that easily freezes a Digital TV's display 

-especially so if in a relatively low level signal area

Microwave Ovens switching / Fluro lights / even an Electic fender that you have for keeping neighbour's buffalo out of your garden plot  

maintaining use of the old antenna is one way of picking up all these interference causes, of course along with the old rg59...  

an FM Band Filter blocker can also be a good investment, for eliminating many of the above causes of having a degraded (quality) of signal 

No it is a new(ish) so called "digital" AE.

The old analogue AE has been binned.  Not at home at present to give details but will get back tomorrow to update you all.

The house is in the city and the TV is upstairs away from all but the Fluro lights

Again thanks for the advice, please keep it coming!

Edited by scottiejohn

On 2/5/2020 at 3:47 PM, johng said:

I'm in a bad reception area  but have been getting good results with this antenna

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=BETA+Digital+TV+Antenna+(HD-37E)

And a signal booster  with built in  mobile phone bandpass filter

http://www.idea-sat.com/id-u30lte/

this used to be sold on Lazada but seems not to be anymore.

for pointing direction please see here

Thanks.  I have tried that TX location link you provided and followed your instructions but cannot get a meaningful result.

Thai is not a problem as the other half is computer literate but cannot get it to work either!

15 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I have tried that TX location link you provided and followed your instructions but cannot get a meaningful result.

Works for me..but obviously I don't know your exact location and it looks like  some parts of Chaingmai are not covered which is understandable with the mountains

snapshot1.png.086546a014caece2bd116b04bfe895b0.png

no coverage

snapshot2.png.8daca83f9eeb9e2e52ffa56ab2b2d409.png