Borrowing some money

Good afternoon,

I know what most of you will now say.

Don't do it. 

Stupid thing to do.

etc

I have a friend. She has land in her village. Rubbertrees, land to build her house, land used as rice plantation.

Now, her sister needs some money. My friend would like to pay sister's 3 rai of land, actually with rubber trees for 100.000.

She has not the money for the moment. I know, we can't own any land.

I would borrow her the money.

How could I protect myself?

Sorry if this thread or a similar one came already up somewhere.

Regards,

thanks a lot guys.

No, I don't expect anything in exchange. She is a good, hard-working girl, supporting her family. Sister made some debts and now my friend wants to pay it off and get sisters land in exchange.

I thought of helping her until she saved up to repay me.

I am not thinking of gifting anything.

Yes, it is family land.

A shame that foreigners can't buy any land in Thailand (maybe through a company).

Hope she gets the funds together.

• Like 2

If the land has chanote could you not lease for say 15 years for 100k Lease must be registered at and office

Although Don't know how much you would make of the rubber...coconut land is much more profitable

If land has no title or is rented government land obviously a no go 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I had a dollar for every village sister's sob story I would be a millionaire. You won't see the girl or the money again unless you are very lucky indeed. Ask yourself have you ever won the lottery.....if yes, loan her the money....if not, chances are you are like every other sucker.

• Haha 1

Good afternoon.

News about the story.

My friend, believe or not, she is a good girl.

She comes from Isaan, owns land and invests there. 

Her sister, who lives close to mum went to a bank (apparently a farmers bank) and with house ownership papers (house belongs to mother), she got 80000baht bank loan.

I asked how she got money if papers are in her mom's name. She told, that the husband of  sister's best friend is the bank manager.

My friend went up to visit mum and knows about the debt. She went to the bank and now loan is at 106000.

She wants to pay off this debt, get papers back and is not risking that mom loses her house.

How on earth a bank can take a house as collateral to give money to someone who even isn't the owner?

I would be straight talking to manager, papers back and writing of the loan, otherwise, social media and head-office of bank involved.

I thought she was telling me a nice story but she comes across to be very honest and concerned.

If she pays off the debt, mom would give her land, which would go to her sister.

Some land will soon be divided but mom wants to give the land which would be given to her sister, directly to my friend.

What to do?

5 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Good afternoon.

News about the story.

My friend, believe or not, she is a good girl.

She comes from Isaan, owns land and invests there. 

Her sister, who lives close to mum went to a bank (apparently a farmers bank) and with house ownership papers (house belongs to mother), she got 80000baht bank loan.

I asked how she got money if papers are in her mom's name. She told, that the husband of  sister's best friend is the bank manager.

My friend went up to visit mum and knows about the debt. She went to the bank and now loan is at 106000.

She wants to pay off this debt, get papers back and is not risking that mom loses her house.

How on earth a bank can take a house as collateral to give money to someone who even isn't the owner?

I would be straight talking to manager, papers back and writing of the loan, otherwise, social media and head-office of bank involved.

I thought she was telling me a nice story but she comes across to be very honest and concerned.

If she pays off the debt, mom would give her land, which would go to her sister.

Some land will soon be divided but mom wants to give the land which would be given to her sister, directly to my friend.

What to do?

Sounds like there might be even more to that story, than told here...????

2 minutes ago, SoonOh said:

Up to you and it is your money. Are you the first and only farnag she told the story 

I Know her for a while and never saw her with a farang. Who knows. I feel for the woman. 

Maybe she tells the story to many men but I quite believe her. I have now to make my own judgement.

Thanks for all the input.

A shame that we can't buy legally anything here apart from a condo or through a company.

I'm not sure about other types of title but with a channote, you can take a legal charge/mortgage out on the land to secure your loan.  You would need to check with the land office if they accept foreign names on such charges - some don't. If you are able to do this, it must be registered on the title or you have no protection at all.

For it to work properly, the agreement must state that you can force a sale of the land in the event of none payment. If the land office won't accept such a clause then an alternative would be a standard forfeiture clause where you take the land and sell it in the event of default. However, to do that you would need to join a trusted Thai in as Mortgagee because as a foreigner you can't take possesion of the land.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Story sounds so similar to the man who has big money but it's on hold  and he needs a loan so he can get big money freed up and pay you back. 

If its 2% of your net worth maybe buy this lottery ticket.   But I think you need to learn about  sister.   Sister is not going to be happy to lose her future inheritance.   We have enough hatred when in Thailand.  Dont create a vengeful woman who will blame you for all her poor choices.   Dont be wirth more dead than alive.  Is sister  cute?

Also much land has little  real value in Thailand because  who will want to live in her family circle with  resentment or worse?  It may not even be ok to farm.  The family may boycott  working this land.   It is nice your lady friend thinks smart about financial  matters.  Tell her you like her but dont get involved. 

Edited by Elkski
  • Confused 1