Krabi reels from 20% plunge in tourists

snoop1130

By THE NATION

800_986fe5e25629121.jpg

The number of tourists in Krabi has decreased by 20 per cent since outbreak of the new coronavirus, according to the province's Tourism Industry Council on Wednesday (January 5).

The council's advisory board held a meeting on data related to business losses in the local tourism sector. Most Chinese tourists have cancelled their trips to the province amid the coronavirus scourge.

The meeting was aimed at drawing up relief measures to the problem.

The council’s chairman, Ekawit Pinyothammanothai said that there were over 30 cancellations of flights scheduled for taking Chinese tourists to the province. Phi Phi and Lanta islands (Ao Nang beach) were the major attractions among Chinese visitors,” he added.

The chairman said impact of the coronavirus would be felt for five to six months. 

As one of the remedial measures, the Krabi Tourism Industry Council would organise a clean-up campaign throughout the province as means to boost confidence of the tourists.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381640

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-05
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The number of tourists in Krabi has decreased by 20 per cent since outbreak of the new coronavirus, according to the province's Tourism Industry Council on Wednesday (January 5).

is it outdated information? we are in February

• Like 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

and I heard they just finished building 5-6 new "high so" class hotels there, 700 + rooms and nobody to fill them up, employees out of a job, suppliers without customers to buy their goods.... it doesn't look good at all

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

All tourism in Thailand is screwed for the next 3 months at least... by which time most foreign travelers would have made other plans and gone elsewhere or booked somewhere later in the year to confirm a holiday.

This is going to hurt Thailand very badly, economically and employment wise.... the whole year is going to be disrupted... 
Thailand should really learn to diversify and not just milk a couple of nations!

Not just Thailand. A lot of other countries will also suffer, especially those that put a blanket ban on Chinese nationals such as USA, Australia, Italy etc. 

• Haha 1

On 2/6/2020 at 10:21 AM, Foghorn said:

Cleanup campaign, shouldn’t that be an ongoing thing ,the whole country is like a dustbin with garbage everywhere, my friend came here at Christmas and couldn’t believe how dirty it was 

Get rid of them rabid dogs off the beaches

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mavideol said:

and I heard they just finished building 5-6 new "high so" class hotels there, 700 + rooms and nobody to fill them up, employees out of a job, suppliers without customers to buy their goods.... it doesn't look good at all

I was just looking on Agoda an hotel that I know 73% discount including breakfast 650 Baht per night, 4 star that opened only last year 

• Like 1