Tourist visa

Hi guys. Need advice please, I'm irish,work and live in Dublin, been traveling to Thailand for holiday for the past 5/6 years, since I'm self employed I can take extra time off, been going lately 3/4 times a year, for 3 /4 week's, never overstayed not had any dealings with police, last time at Christmas I was pulled aside and spoken to by io, why I come here alot etc, I said I have the time and money and love the country, that was it but it scared the hell out of me as I read so many scary stories lately if tourists being denied entry, for the 2years I have been getting a SETV that gives 60dsy but I always leave 28/30 days, can anyone advise will I have more problems or was the IO having a bad day, is there a limit on how many times I can enter etc, it worried me so much that when leaving for Dublin I asked immagration in swampy do I need a Visa, they replied no, u not need visa, just use VOA and after 4/5 times entering get a SETV, I don't know where I stand or anyone have an issue like me, thanks all

OP, first up it very much helps that you enter from you own country and not from nearby country.

Thinking you will be fine fly in for visa exempt stamp. 

You will get better advice if you detail your plans for next trip.

Depending on that some experts may suggest a METV. 

Depends on your travel plans.

Thank you DR jack,I entered on the 12 December and departed 5january, I never go to an other country and always fly in from Ireland via Abu Dhabi, thinking of going for St Patrick's day about mid March, I don't want to live there not work there or nor do I own a condo, I always stay in the same hotel, do u think I will be questioned be again, I've never done border runs etc as I have to return to Ireland for work, is their a limit on the times I can enter it did I get a angry IO?? Thanks again Dr

I can't see you being denied entry. It's the time spent in the country they are most concerned about, and as you only stay 3/4 weeks at a time I don't see the problem. 

However, given your frequent entries do not be surprised if you get questioned about visiting so often. Have details of your hotel booking to hand and details of your onward flight as those documents might (unlikely) be asked for. They would be looking to see you fit a typical tourist profile.

• Like 2

It is better if you have an SETV. In theory, the immigration official has less power to deny entry when you have a visa than if requesting visa exemption. Really, you will be very unlucky if denied entry but, in the current climate, I do not regard denied entry as totally impossible. I would recommend you risk it.

• Thanks 1

Thank you ever so much madmen,elvia and forest, you have greatly eased my mind, as u mentioned why would thease trolls even bother posting, absolute fools, it's just that I read so many of the so called troll stories,maybe there was more behind them as us Norm guys/ tourists,I certainly feel at ease with your comment "your s citizen" lol,and to answer your question forest, I just thought it would deter them from questioning me, I'm no good in situations like that and the story's of countless people being turned away on the net is unbelievable, im starting to think that alot of them are bull<deleted>ters and something to hide, I just signed up but read a story yesterday about a French guy, double amputee in a deport cell, let's prey he's alright and wish I could have helped the poor chap, any info on him or did u read it, once again, thank you guys

• Like 1

I would say you would be ok but one never knows. I think with a return ticket and hotel booking with you it should be ok. I also believe that on tourist exempt visas you need to be able to show Thb 10,000 as an individual or Thb 20,000 (or equivalent) in cash if asked at immigration.

current climate here I’d say you’ll be welcome. But as I say who knows. Good luck anyway. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Dublin,

With your travel profile I - like all previous posters - don't expect any trouble on you entering Thailand.

There are 2 strong points in your favor that make you fit the 'genuine tourist' profile:

- you only stay short periods of time > 3/4 weeks;

- you fly back to your home-country.

But given the frequency of your visits 3/4 times a year, it is only logical that you will occasionally be questioned why you are visiting Thailand that often.  An overview of your entries/exits will pop-up on the IOs screen when re-entering, and the sheer frequency will be his trigger to ask you some questions.  But a closer scrutiny of your travel pattern will reveal that you are indeed a Thailand-lover that likes to come often.  With a hotel-booking and your return-flight ticket, there is almost no risk of being denied entry.

Even if you would enter VisaExempt there would likely be no issue at all given your profile.  But coming on Tourist Visa is of course better (as it shows that you already passed the first screening 'hoop' in your home-country).

TIP > Since you are coming 3/4 times a years, for your next trip you might consider applying at the thai UK embassy/consulate for an METV if you meet the requirements.  It's valid for 6 months from date of issue, so would likely cover 2 of your next trips.

After entering 5 times with visa exempt last year the IO told me I needed a visa next time. No warning or anything, just friendly advice with a smile

Got a SE 60 day tourist visa for £30 from my local consulate in Glasgow and had no issues when I went back just before Christmas 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been to Thailand every year since 2010, the last 4 years we've stayed for 6 month. Always arrived with a 60 day Visa. Then 30 days extension, usually a flight to a neighbour country, and back again, new extension, and either a land crossing, or another flight. No problems so far. We're only working 5-6 months in our Homeland, just relaxing and riding around on our bike. Multi entry Visa is a bit of a hassle for us, as we need 2 out/ in flights when applying, and we can't plan it for it.... Has never had any problem with immigration, though, but read some stories.... Currently we're renting on a yearly basis. Hopefully we can continue this routine for the years to come... without problems...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is an unwritten rule, lets call it a benchmark of 180 days per year on tourist visa when immigration say that you are living here and not a tourist.
Have your 20,000 baht cash, return ticked and booked accommodation, you then satisfy all the written and unwritten rules.
Also, hang of to your boarding card stub, I have been asked for this at immigration.

• Thanks 1

Hi guys,

Many thanks to all who took the effort to reply, have another question that someone asked me,

A friend mentioned to me what about all the Aussie lads and euro lads who work offshore,oil rigs etc,who usually work 4 week's on and 4 off,so alot  go to Thailand every 2nd month,how does that work with immagration, any members did this, do io ask questions, cheers guy's

On 2/6/2020 at 3:18 PM, MR1888 said:

After entering 5 times with visa exempt last year the IO told me I needed a visa next time. No warning or anything, just friendly advice with a smile

Got a SE 60 day tourist visa for £30 from my local consulate in Glasgow and had no issues when I went back just before Christmas 

Hi ,

I have been going multiple time with visa exempt 30 day and then extending another 30 day and leave the country before 60 day .  but last time i was questioned by immegration and they pulled me to there chief and there he asked many question  and told me next time i must come on visa . so I am planning to apply visa this time .   

my question is normally before 60 day i travel to a different country e.g vietnam or malaysia but i dont have any plan as of now .  so do i must need to have  a  return ticket or i can say the officer in embassy about my situation. 

thanks

11 minutes ago, Dublin14 said:

Thanks roaming for your reply, when u say u entered 5 times last year, how long was each stay?

Cheers

probably i stayed more then 6 months ( maybe 6 month 2 week)  in 4 visit . but before 60 day i used to fly out of the country

after 30 day i used to get a extension from the local immigration

Edited by roaming2019