Breaking with Republicans, Romney votes 'guilty' in Trump impeachment trial

webfact

1 minute ago, JHolmesJr said:

Romney...what a Mormon!

Watch Utah boot him after this!

Get ready for the speech circuit Mitt.

He began a six year term in 2019. 

We don't know what new dirt is going to come  out about 45 next week. 

It actually wasn't that big a political risk for Mitt to do the right thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

You do know that trump is not well liked in Utah a RED state. That part about " I can grab them by thier pussies" 

Yes, that's true, but it still took balls for him to convict. He's now target number one of the bully president with the twitter bully pulpit and he's likely to be the target of rudeness from his senate colleagues in the 45 cult of personality club. 

• Haha 2

As far as Romney running for president again, I guess it's possible but I think unlikely. Why?

He already ran and lost when his party was more normal. Parties tend not to give losers a second chance at that level.

45 will eventually go one way or another, but the remnants of his toxic cult of personality movement won't just instantly vanish into thin air. There will be imitators after him. Given 45 now has about 95 percent support of this current very sick version of the republican party, it's hard to imagine a very quick swing back to relative normality.

I don't think Mitt necessarily needs the aggravation of running again. 

Being a U.S. senator from Utah probably for as long as he is healthy enough and wants it isn't exactly chopped liver (or the Mormon version of that). 

• Haha 2

There is talk that vindictive republicans might strip him of committee assignments. Yeah they could do that and that would be a price Romney might pay. But again, history is definitely on the side of Romney on this one. He voted to convict because 45 is guilty. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

According to Roger Stone, Trump had no intention of giving Mitt the SoS job. He just want to see Mitt squirm. As Roger allude “to toy with him”. What kind of animal is Trump with this kind of cruel deed and he lied about Mitt on his knees begging. Really a disgusting and detestable character and worse hold the highest office in the land. 

No surprise. We know what 45 is. But in all fairness, Romney should have known as well. There was though the argument earlier in the 45 presidency that more "adult" republicans needed to join him in the white house in order to try to put checks on his more reckless impulses. Some did that and maybe did a little bit of good but are now all gone. 

9 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Poor Mitt... I sense some crazy jealousy going on here. But really, who cares? He didn't change anything. The justice system has spoken.

The bar for impeachment and removal is intentionally high. The partisan impeachment simply didn't meet the height required.

Life is good.

The result had zilch to do with justice , just a reaffirmation of the partisan nature of US politics at the current time.

A trial without any witnesses , lol , the framers of the Constitution would not consider that a win.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

No. Nobody expected a conviction in the senate.

Anyone that has been paying attention knows that.

However there was the slim hope that there would be enough votes to hear from key witnesses such as Bolton that 45 had previously blocked.

There was also the even slimmer hope that the convict side would win a symbolic majority of votes which wouldn't have removed 45 (as a 2/3 vote is needed for that) but would have been a stronger message. 

But Romney voting to convict was better than nothing. 

am with you on that, I think everybody knew he wouldn't be remove, November 2020 will do that, I was expecting to hear some witnesses like Bolton, Mulveney, etc., but mostly was looking for to see/hear Giuliani the clown.... maybe all hopes not dead yet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

am with you on that, I think everybody knew he wouldn't be remove, November 2020 will do that, I was expecting to hear some witnesses like Bolton, Mulveney, etc., but mostly was looking for to see/hear Giuliani the clown.... maybe all hopes not dead yet

He might win in 2020. Horrible but true. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

He might win in 2020. Horrible but true. 

and thanks to you and that thought, I will have nightmares from now on, I will go and visit the Pagoda and will ask for forgiveness 555

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

and thanks to you and that thought, I will have nightmares from now on, I will go and visit the Pagoda and will ask for forgiveness 555

If he's reelected or loses and refuses to leave the white house, the nightmares will be real life.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, wasabi said:

God and Mitt's family (who he claims guided his decision to impeach) have nothing to do with the fact no crime was committed. Bad taste, sleazy? Perhaps but that is not grounds for impeachment. Trump has empowered the nation to increase their wealth. The ability to use my skills and wits to build wealth is the only freedom I have ever known and will be voting for him again. Democrats have only hysteria and drama. Not solutions for working Americans.

Impeachment isn't about literal crimes as in the criminal code. Abuse of power which Romney found 45 guilty of is most certainly an impeachable offense. 

Also impeachment isn't about disagreement on policy issues. That is definitely for elections. As Romney said he agrees with 45 80 percent of the time but finding him guilty was not about that.

Edited by Jingthing