Over 130 migrants killed after U.S. deports them to El Salvador, rights group says

webfact

Over 130 migrants killed after U.S. deports them to El Salvador, rights group says

By Nelson Renteria

2020-02-06T010118Z_1_LYNXMPEG15033_RTROPTP_4_USA-IMMIGRATION-EL-SALVADOR.JPG

A migrant who was deported from the U.S. leaves the Integral Assistance Center for Migrants in San Salvador, El Salvador February 5, 2020. REUTERS/Jose Cabezas

SAN SALVADOR (Reuters) - More than 130 Salvadorans have been killed after being deported from the United States since 2013, U.S.-based Human Rights Watch (HRW) said on Wednesday, as it stressed the danger migrants face under the Trump administration's hardening immigration policy.

In a report titled "Deported to Danger," the group said it had documented 138 cases of Salvadorans who had been killed after deportation. The number was likely much higher but there are no official figures, it said.

HRW also found more than 70 cases of deported Salvadorans who suffered sexual violence, torture or other harm, or who disappeared.

President Donald Trump has toughened U.S. immigration policy to make it difficult for Central Americans to seek asylum, forcing thousands to wait in Mexico as their cases are decided. The issue promises to be a cornerstone of his re-election campaign.

"As asylum and immigration policies tighten in the United States and dire security problems continue in El Salvador, the U.S. is repeatedly violating its obligations to protect Salvadorans from return to serious risk of harm," HRW wrote.

The report placed blame on Salvadoran gangs for targeting deportees and the Salvadoran government for failing to protect them. It also accused the United States of "putting Salvadorans in harm's way in circumstances where it knows or should know that harm is likely."

A statement from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security said "the U.S. is a country of laws" but did not directly address the allegations in the Human Rights Watch report.

"If you arrive at our borders you will wait in Mexico until the completion of your immigration court proceedings. If you do not have a legal case to be in the U.S. you will either be granted the opportunity for asylum in another country or quickly returned to your home country," the statement said.

In the report, HRW said it established a connection in many cases between the reasons Salvadorans had fled their country and the ultimate causes of their deaths.

The report cites the case of Camila Diaz Cordova, a 29-year-old transgender person who applied for asylum in the United States in August 2017 to escape death threats and extortion by multinational gang Barrio 18.

After her deportation in November 2017, she returned to sex work in San Salvador, the capital, where she was kidnapped and beaten to death by the police, according to a close friend of Diaz Cordova and Salvador's attorney general.

"By losing her bid for asylum or refuge in the United States, or anywhere else, the risk she faced was exactly that: being killed," the friend of Diaz Cordova said in an interview.

Many other deported migrants say their lives are in danger back home.

Luis, 41, worked nearly two decades in California until he was deported in 2015 after failing to appear for an immigration hearing. Luis, who did not wish to use his full name due to fear of reprisals, found work as a bus driver on the outskirts of San Salvador but was perceived as an outsider and a threat by local gangs.

Gang members shot at him and a bullet struck the bus once, though Luis escaped unscathed.

"They said if they saw me again, they would take me out," Luis told Reuters. The threats have subsided since he began making payments to gangs to be able to drive through their territory, he said.

(Reporting by Nelson Renteria; Additional reporting by Kristina Cooke in Los Angeles; Writing by Julia Love; Editing by Drazen Jorgic, Leslie Adler and Tom Brown)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-06
  • Sad 1

I live in California and we have a lot of Mexican/Central Americans.    With reference to THEM being my neighbors I must say that . at least, They are 80-90% good workers and good neighbors.

My ONLY problem, IN THE USA, Is that I don't want more muslims trying to shove 'shira law' down my throat. KEEP THEM OUT.

But Latins.... Let them in.   Once they have criminal records - Then deport them.

Latin majorities I FAVOR.  Much better than many 'US Citizen couch potatoes' living off of us US tax paying citizens.        "Percentage-wise."   ---    Latins are good for us ---- muslims are NOT.

There is risk inherent in everything we do. People risk their lives to escape from what they see is danger to themselves, or to try and improve their lives. The problem being, those countries perceived to be 'safer' or 'better' are small in number, and cannot save the whole of rest of the world. Nor should they have to, nor should they be made to feel guilty that they don't.

You do what you can,  Not want you want.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

These aren't migrants. They're leaving their own <deleted> heap countries hoping for enter the US illegally and then get looked after and prosper economically.

What's your definition of "migrant"?    Because Webster's and Oxford both say they are.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Is it easy for you to make comments like that from your comfy chair? You have no idea what you're talking about. The vast majority of those 'illegal immigrants' just want to get away from crime, corruption and poverty, they want a better life for themselves and their children, and when they do make it to the USA they usually work very hard, for minimum wage, to earn a decent and honest living. The whole economy of the USA would collapse if these people were not there to do the dirty and heavy work that the Americans feel is beneath them.

3 hours ago, kensawadee said:

I live in California and we have a lot of Mexican/Central Americans.    With reference to THEM being my neighbors I must say that . at least, They are 80-90% good workers and good neighbors.

My ONLY problem, IN THE USA, Is that I don't want more muslims trying to shove 'shira law' down my throat. KEEP THEM OUT.

But Latins.... Let them in.   Once they have criminal records - Then deport them.

Latin majorities I FAVOR.  Much better than many 'US Citizen couch potatoes' living off of us US tax paying citizens.        "Percentage-wise."   ---    Latins are good for us ---- muslims are NOT.

In my opinion, this is where the US immigration laws are failing everyone. Many of the people trying to come into the US just want to work and make a better life. And many of those people can obtain jobs without negatively affecting the average US citizen. It is a win-win all around.

If the US would simply create an efficient process for workers to enter the US on 3, 6 or 12 month work visas, with proper documentation and oversight, the immigration folks could better assign their limited resources to dealing with the really undesirable elements that we wish to keep out, while giving all of the proper folks a clear and workable mechanism for coming to work.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

The whole economy of the USA would collapse if these people were not there to do the dirty and heavy work that the Americans feel is beneath them.

Not really. Slash food stamps and other welfare benefits and just watch Americans start doing jobs Americans feel is beneath them. Hunger is a wonderful motivator.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Usual HRW rubbish and drivel.

These aren't migrants. They're leaving their own <deleted> heap countries hoping for enter the US illegally and then get looked after and prosper economically.

Criminals, illegally entering other countries, rely on left wing liberal organizations like HRW to wring their hands and blame the country being illegally entered. What complete tosh!

These people fully intend to break laws. No wonder they end up in conflict with other criminals.

Headline Fixed:  "UN funded liberal group makes fake allegations against Trump's illegal immigration policies."

Democrats respond by stating that Trump kills migrants from El Salvador and is racist nazi.

Rational people respond by stating that illegals are often involved in gang business and it is dangerous, and that the Dems practices of importing voters and all their problems is coming to a halt.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, timendres said:

Bit of an exaggeration to say the "whole economy of the USA would collapse". Certainly, there would be some serious inflation in a number of products, and the economy would feel that pain. Just because someone is willing to do work at a wage that most US citizens would reject, that does not mean that there are no US citizens willing to do that work at a higher wage.

Yea like all the construction jobs we'd get screwed out of because the companys would exploit illegals

• Like 1

6 hours ago, impulse said:

What's your definition of "migrant"?    Because Webster's and Oxford both say they are.

I use the laws of the US, not a dictionary.  

An illegal alien…is any alien (1) whose most recent entry into the United States was without inspection, or (2) whose most recent admission to the United States was as a nonimmigrant and—(A) whose period of authorized stay as a nonimmigrant expired, or (B) whose unlawful status was known to the Government, before the date of the commission of the crime for which the alien is convicted.
—United States Code, Title 8, §1365(b)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, howbri said:

It's not the U.S.A.'s job to take people escaping every S@#$ hole in the world.

Not even from the ones which their foreign policies ( Central America over the last half century and more recently The Middle East) have created!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, PhonThong said:

Have you been to El Salvador? I have. Went clubbing in San Salvador for two days. Never felt threatened. Sure there are gangs, but I think it is more dangerous living in South L.A..

How nice that you went clubbing in San Salvador. I'm sure you also visited all the barrios where gangs like MS-13 and Barrio 18 rule.

• Confused 1