Coronavirus AND TB! Thai media reveal bus driver has disease that kills millions

webfact

Coronavirus AND TB! Thai media reveal bus driver has disease that kills millions

7pm.jpg

Thai caption: No new cases (of virus)

Thai media has revealed that a 70 year old bus driver who was diagnosed with the coronavirus is also suffering from tuberculosis. 

Commonly known as TB (and wannaloke in Thai) the disease is one of the top ten killers in the world and can be spread from person to person by coughing, speaking, sneezing...even laughing. 

Online reports suggest that TB killed 1.5 million people worldwide in 2018.

INN reported that HIV medication was not being used in the case of the bus driver due to contraindications. 

They reported his condition is improving. 

Thaivisa notes that online information suggests that TB is not all that easy to catch and infected people must be "clinically active" to pass it on. 

Though transmission often occurs in enclosed spaces and tends to affect those with compromised immune systems like HIV patients. 

Source: INN

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-06
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa notes that online information suggests that TB is not all that easy to catch and infected people must be "clinically active" to pass it on. 

Did the bus driver have known TB and was on treatment or was TB diagnosed when he got hospitalized for the corona?

With pulmonary TB and the patient is coughing it's clinically active and can spread.  After 2-3 weeks of treatment with specific ABs, it doesn't spread. anymore. TB could also infect lymphglands, brain, bones etc but that doesn't transmit that easily, neither do latent, inactive pulmonary TB.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

70 years old and public bus driver.
(How old is retirement in Thailand?)
It proves how " tingtong " is obtaining a driver's license in Thailand  ...

Yeah, that is totally crazy. My wife´s father couldn´t get a driver license, because he was over 60.

5 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yeah, that is totally crazy. My wife´s father couldn´t get a driver license, because he was over 60.

Yes, your comment seems kind of crazy.  Was he sick or physically or mentally impaired?

60,70 and many people in their 80's have drivers license all over the world.

My father drove into his 90's.

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, your comment seems kind of crazy.  Was he sick or physically or mentally impaired?

60,70 and many people in their 80's have drivers license all over the world.

My father drove into his 90's.

Yes, they have driver licenses. Sure, nobody will take them away. I am talking about that he was not allowed to get a driver license because he was over 60.

Sure, it´s crazy too. That´s what the transport office said.

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Next time you get into a taxi or a bus here, perhaps you should more cautiously consider just what else your friendly driver might be carrying... besides you!

Forget the bus. Forget the taxi. It's the BTS I'm really worried about. TB and the possibility of drug resistant TB worries me everytime I'm out and about on mass transit anywhere in Thailand.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Forget the bus. Forget the taxi. It's the BTS I'm really worried about. TB and the possibility of drug resistant TB worries me everytime I'm out and about on mass transit anywhere in Thailand.

That's why I'm wearing an N95 mask and now glasses (not goggles yet) anytime I'm riding on BTS or MRT....  mainly for CV and PM2.5 purposes, but anything else can be thrown in as well.

PS -- There have been taxi transmission confirmed CV cases here thus far, but there have not been any BTS or MRT confirmed CV cases thus far...

I speculated yesterday that some miraculous corona flu recoveries might have to do that some people already have HIV and were already on anti retrovirals ... 

and MANY INDIANS HAVE TB !!!! look it up ... the next plague that will hit Thailand for sure after the chinese

5 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

TB is, and has been, a significant public health problem here, according to Thai public health officials.

tuberculosis site:thaivisa.com

Wow i never knew this! I want to go out of Thailand but don't dare to fly at the moment.

On 2/5/2020 at 11:40 PM, webfact said:

John Henry "Doc" Holliday, associate/friend to Wyatt Earp, had TB before he became a dentist and he died in a TB sanitarium.  Wonder if he would fit into that category due to the primitive state of the technology, public and personal hygiene of bygone days?  They didn't wear masks unless they were "outlaws" holding up bank, stage coaches, and trains and what they wore, if anything, was a neckerchief full of dust and sweat, etc.

Try telling those who died and were not "clinically active" that TB is/was not easy to catch and very often the information on Thaivisa is incorrect.

Why doesn't this Thai character become a time traveller in order to find out what it used to be like in the past, or maybe do some in-depth research before opening his mouth to spew his saliva all over the people around him because those paper masks do absolutely nothing to defend against the transmission of disease(s) or even filter out pollution especially at the levels or types in Thailand.

'nuf sed.