Domestic - International time needed

kokesaat

Some time ago I booked seats on ANA from BKK to USA leaving Suvarnaphumi at 0030. I also booked Thaismile seats leaving Udon at 9PM, arriving Suvarnaphumi at 10. That leaves 2.5 hours to get our bags from Thaismile, head up to ANA and checkin (will precheck in online 24 hours prior). Under normal circumstances, 2.5 hours should be plenty, even allowing for some delay in arrival in BKK or delay in getting our bags.
I talked with the Thaiair rep at the airport yesterday........what did she think? Her initial reaction was, oh no, you need more time in BKK. But after talking it through with her.....precheck in with ANA, asking Thaismile to give us baggage priority before we leave Udon (??)......she said we should be ok.....but still with some reluctance.

I have some wiggle room on time to change Thaismile reservations. I'm not keen on spending hours in the airport.........and am monitoring the coronavirus situation to see if there's any impact on departures from BKK.

Any thoughts from the seasoned travelers?

UTH - BKK (WE 9):

6 of the last 7 flights were in time, no more then 5 min late.

BUT flight on Feb 2 had a big problem, arrived 23:19h (!).

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/we9

There is always a risk involved.

But generally yes, 2.5h from domestic arrival should be enough.

When I used Thaismile the last times they always used a far out parking position with bus transport. 30 min from landing to having suitcases would not be unusual.

But I always flew at busy afternoon times.

Domestic should slow down in the late evening.

Edited by KhunBENQ

16 hours ago, kokesaat said:

Some time ago I booked seats on ANA from BKK to USA leaving Suvarnaphumi at 0030. I also booked Thaismile seats leaving Udon at 9PM, arriving Suvarnaphumi at 10. That leaves 2.5 hours to get our bags from Thaismile, head up to ANA and checkin (will precheck in online 24 hours prior). Under normal circumstances, 2.5 hours should be plenty, even allowing for some delay in arrival in BKK or delay in getting our bags.

You have 2.5 hours between your scheduled arrival until your scheduled departure, not to get to bag drop/check in desk.  For that you only have 1.5 hours as ANA check in closes 1 hour before departure.  It all depends on your attitude to that risk.  I wouldn't do it with a long haul international ticket at stake.

"I wouldn't do it with a long haul international ticket at stake."  

Ultimately that was what kept me awake in the middle of the night.  I bit the bullet and cancelled my 9pm flight.  We'll fly in earlier in the afternoon, rest up at a nearby hotel, do some nearby foot massages and restaurants and not have to worry about a delay.

Thanks for the responses

• Like 1