Taiwan says China feeding WHO wrong information about virus cases on island

snoop1130

Taiwan says China feeding WHO wrong information about virus cases on island

By Ben Blanchard

afae.PNG

FILE PHOTO: A logo is pictured on the headquarters of the World Health Orgnaization (WHO) ahead of a meeting of the Emergency Committee on the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in Geneva, Switzerland, January 30, 2020. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse

TAIPEI (Reuters) - China is providing the World Health Organization (WHO) with wrong information about the number of coronavirus cases in Taiwan, the island’s foreign ministry said on Thursday, after the WHO published incorrect case numbers earlier this week.

Taiwan is not a WHO member because of China’s objections. Beijing says the island is a wayward Chinese province and not a country and is adequately represented in the organisation by China.

Democratically governed Taiwan says it is an independent country called the Republic of China - its formal name - and has never been part of the People’s Republic of China.

On Tuesday, the WHO corrected the number of cases reported on the island after having said there were 13. At the time Taiwan had only 10. Taiwan said on Thursday there were now 13 cases, compared to more than 28,000 in China.

Speaking at a news conference, Taiwan Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Joanne Ou said the crux of the problem was China giving the wrong case number details to the WHO.

“This was wrong information that was provided by China which created the mistake,” she said.

Ou said Taiwan had also protested to the WHO for again changing how they refer to the island, which it now calls “Taipei and environs”, having previously called it “Taiwan, China”, then “Taipei municipality” and then just “Taipei”.

“I’d like to ask the WHO, how many times are you going to change Taiwan’s name? These are not our correct names. Let me reiterate - our name is Taiwan, whose formal name is the Republic of China,” she added.

“We beseech the WHO not to put Taiwan’s information under China, creating mistake after mistake after mistake.”

Taiwan says the main consequence of that so far has been Italy including Taiwan in its ban on flights from China.

Taiwan’s China Airlines (2610.TW) has already stopped its Rome flights, and the island’s other main carrier Eva Airways (2618.TW) said on Thursday it would postpone this month’s launch of Milan flights due to the Italian ban.

Ou said they continue to press Italy to reverse the decision to stop flights from Taiwan.

China’s foreign ministry, in a faxed statement to Reuters, said the case numbers it reported to the WHO for Taiwan all came from Taiwan’s government.

“If there are mistakes, this is the relevant authorities in the Taiwan region deliberately reporting mistakes to us,” it said.

The WHO did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Earlier this week, Ou said China was “vile” for seeking to limit Taiwan’s access to WHO meetings about the virus.

Both the WHO and China have repeatedly said Taiwan is getting the access and cooperation it needs.

China’s Taiwan Affairs Office said in a statement on Thursday the island should not “use the virus to plot independence”, and reiterated Taiwan faced no problem with technical cooperation with the WHO.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-06
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, nausea said:

I find it very difficult to believe that China is shutting down cities and banning foreign travel if this is just a case of really bad flu. And the reaction of other countries, quarantining for 14 days, seems a little excessive. At the best it's an overreaction, at the worst, well, we'll find out, won't we?

And as yet we don't even know when half time is let alone the half time score.

Ref' the cruise ship in Japan, 61 confirmed ?

I hadn't realised that every new case onboard starts the clock again on the 14 day isolation count.

One guy from UK on his honeymoon now in hospital and his wife still in quarantine onboard.

Edited by overherebc

20 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Any time an independent country is threatened it is incumbent on the world to defy their action. 

What you claim is no more or less inevitable than China invading your own homeland. 

Your stance is tantamount to accepting Chinese domination of the entire world. Do you also accept their ownership of the Eastern Sea? 

If you want to worry about global domination then consider Islam, which isn't even a country and does not rely on financial, economic, or military strength to reach its goals. At this point Islam's control of Europe seems inevitable though and seems to also be acceptable to most governments. 

It's more likely that the world will end up praying five times a day than speaking Chinese. 

I think you are quoting two entirely different scenarios here.

Not many are more vocal than myself about the Islamic takeover, or attempted takeover in Europe, and various governments pandering to the wishes of a 6th century stone age religion that has no place in modern society.

Many countries are now starting to fight back and push back against radical Islam and have had enough, and also accept that this notion of multiculturalism just doesn't work. You can thank Germany for the latest 1 million piling into Europe! However,that is a different topic nor do I think it is relevant here.

Taiwan as you are no doubt aware came about due to the Communist revolution in mainland China in the late 1940s. The communists have always claimed this as a renegade state/ island. There seems to be more substance to this claim that to the ridiculous one over the whole of the South China seas based on same maps going back to god knows when.

I do not agree with Chinese expansion, from the belts and roads initiatives to their behaviour in Tibet and Mongolia. I was pointing out that the rest of the world has already buckled and accepted Taiwan as a part of China, just look at how many allies to independence Taiwan actually has?

The overall strength in numbers, military might, economic might, gives China the upper hand completely in this matter. I don't believe any other country has the capacity or will to prevent a Chinese takeover in the long term.

I am pro Taiwan and against Chinese expansionism, so is Vietnam, the Philippines and many other SEA nations if the truth be told, but I just do not think it will do any good to the people of Taiwan, it even has a number of pro Chinese political parties favoring acceptance of Chinese rule eventually.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

The overall strength in numbers, military might, economic might, gives China the upper hand completely in this matter. I don't believe any other country has the capacity or will to prevent a Chinese takeover in the long term.

I agree with and am very thankful for your post. It seems to again come down to a case of might makes right. But nature and circumstance can derail man's best laid plans. Lets wait and see just how mighty the new coronavirus will be. The authorities seem quite fearful.

Edited by rabas
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I think you are quoting two entirely different scenarios here.

Not many are more vocal than myself about the Islamic takeover, or attempted takeover in Europe, and various governments pandering to the wishes of a 6th century stone age religion that has no place in modern society.

Many countries are now starting to fight back and push back against radical Islam and have had enough, and also accept that this notion of multiculturalism just doesn't work. You can thank Germany for the latest 1 million piling into Europe! However,that is a different topic nor do I think it is relevant here.

Taiwan as you are no doubt aware came about due to the Communist revolution in mainland China in the late 1940s. The communists have always claimed this as a renegade state/ island. There seems to be more substance to this claim that to the ridiculous one over the whole of the South China seas based on same maps going back to god knows when.

I do not agree with Chinese expansion, from the belts and roads initiatives to their behaviour in Tibet and Mongolia. I was pointing out that the rest of the world has already buckled and accepted Taiwan as a part of China, just look at how many allies to independence Taiwan actually has?

I am pro Taiwan and against Chinese expansionism, so is Vietnam, the Philippines and many other SEA nations if the truth be told, but I just do not think it will do any good to the people of Taiwan, it even has a number of pro Chinese political parties favoring acceptance of Chinese rule eventually.

Good points all. I actually agree with everything you said. 

I guess I was reacting emotionally to a bully getting away with his bullying. In too many ways China is successful in their various forms of coercion. Their unabashed claims of ownership of the earth and even the moon is hard to stomach. 

I'm slowly learning to accept the fact that my romantic notions of an ideal life are simply not viable. Living in Thailand has certainly taught me something about acceptance of reality. 

In the end it is my relationship with a genuinely honest and loving Thai woman that makes smaller things livablebfir me. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 7:38 PM, snoop1130 said:

On Tuesday, the WHO corrected the number of cases reported on the island after having said there were 13. At the time Taiwan had only 10. Taiwan said on Thursday there were now 13 cases,

Maybe China knew something that Taiwan didn't? ????????????

14 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I hear many cities are in lockdown, not just Wuhan. Wenzhou is for sure. The kids are learning via some hurried internet classroom live-link, my contact in Xi'an has been told that it may be May before her kid goes back.

Its going to be an interesting time over the next few weeks when the companies are wanting to start opening. What happens in the long run, if this continues, companies cant afford to pay worker to stay at home one the governments say-so.

They are and you're quite correct about the fear and paranoia. Sickness is the big bad wolf in China.

The lockdowns are voluntary. An advisory came out about 'journey only when necessary' and everyone in my city is locked away at home. I look down on the main thoroughfare and it's twenty or thirty cars a minute, few electric bikes and empty buses going through there. Everybody is masked. I havent been out for 16 days.

There are 32 cases in my city (1 in 200,000) and two deaths so far so it's feeling like overkill. With only 32 in Thailand and no deaths I wonder what everyone is panicking about.

There's a phased return to work by business type starting tomorrow, but by no means a mass surge back.

Edited by Traubert
Addition
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Traubert said:

I havent been out for 16 days.

Don't be a wuss, get out there and get us some real on the ground reporting (but take a look out for the cops) ????

Edited by Salerno