BANGKOK
snoop1130

Britain eyes early free trade pact with Australia after leaving EU

19 minutes ago, damascase said:

I can think of several products/commodities that Australia would want to export to the UK under a preferential tariff deal - but what UK products would be interesting for Australia? Keep in mind that products must be originating in the UK, or they won’t even qualify. So incorporating/using materials/component from the EU might mean non-elegibilty.

A PR win is at the top of the agenda for the Brits. Just to say they have an FTA to vindicate the actions of the past few years.

The main thing I suspect the brits want however is access to the Australian labour market. It’s something they’ve talked about often - free movement - and boris banged on about it when he was foreign secretary. With ready access to EU workers drying up, maintaining a flexible work force in the UK will be an issue. 

13 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

A free trade agreement with UK will be welcomed by Australia - our economic, social and military ties go back a long way and leaving the EU is something most Australians support.  

Well, I think it is is quite safe to say that most Australians don’t have a clue about the EU, its role and how it works.....

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, samran said:

A PR win is at the top of the agenda for the Brits. Just to say they have an FTA to vindicate the actions of the past few years.

The main thing I suspect the brits want however is access to the Australian labour market. It’s something they’ve talked about often - free movement - and boris banged on about it when he was foreign secretary. With ready access to EU workers drying up, maintaining a flexible work force in the UK will be an issue. 

We can send them overpaid baristas, they can send us overpaid divorce lawyers. Win win.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, samran said:

So the grovel tour of Australia begins. All that is missing is a cap in hand.  

For any FTA to be worthwhile access for beef and lamb are probably going to be high up the Australian negotiating list. 

I bet the Welsh farmers are going to love that. 

How about the Australian farmers?

• Like 1

As it now appears that No Deal and Australian Deal are synonyms

it should not have to require much effort to land an Australian Deal.

guess some would even refer to it as a quickie

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, damascase said:

Well, I think it is is quite safe to say that most Australians don’t have a clue about the EU, its role and how it works.....

You would be surprised how much about Brexit and USA is shown in Australia - but not as to the exact workings. But we do know things like - that Frenchmen can fish in UK waters and British fishermen are banned. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, gearbox said:

We can send them overpaid baristas, they can send us overpaid divorce lawyers. Win win.

Just as long as Chav’s aren’t allowed in, I’m all good.

20 minutes ago, Forethat said:

How about the Australian farmers?

They are to going to love it. Cost competitive on a global scale, the welsh probably will struggle. 

But hey, brave new world right? 

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

You would be surprised how much about Brexit and USA is shown in Australia - but not as to the exact workings. But we do know things like - that Frenchmen can fish in UK waters and British fishermen are banned. 

Be aware of making trade deal with UK as that would mean that UK vessels then can only fish at Australian waters and vice versa. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1