Britain eyes early free trade pact with Australia after leaving EU

snoop1130

1 minute ago, ratcatcher said:

Surely Australian and New Zealand Spring lamb is going to be entering the UK at a different time as when British Spring lamb hits the market?

It will be shipped frozen for competition all year round.

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

So much salt from the perennial losers on every Brexit thread. Mostly from non Brits. Great to read ????.

Also great to see so many deals in the pipeline, exciting times ahead.

Don’t you mean an Australian Trade thread with the usual Brits yearning for empire?

• Like 2

Yes, a deal with a country of 25 million should be spectacular and change the course of the world.

I'm so excited for Britain. All the marmite and Dr Martens they will sell in Syndey. 

Still a trade deficit with Thailand, mind you. $US 1.4 billion, but with all the TVRs and Morgans Britain will sell in Melbourne that should be quickly erased...

Roll the dice.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Surely Australian and New Zealand Spring lamb is going to be entering the UK at a different time as when British Spring lamb hits the market?

surely,

down under lamb should hit John O'Groat high street in time for Xmas though.

57 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

You are going to be soooo disappointed when we jog along nicely.

Of course Britain will continue. Even Germany had an hour zero, where thanks to the British bombing civilians, housing and not just infrastructure, the German economy was completely destroyed. It was at zero. And it managed to rebuild from scratch. However, that was against a backdrop of globally super-favourable conditions in the 1950s and 1960s. 

The environment the British now face is nothing like that. It is a contraction environment. The world economy is no longer booming. Rather than freely trading and helping each other, like hyenas every country has to pounce on the remnants of a capitalist carcass that is rotting from the inside thanks to the overpopulation of the elderly, shrinking tax revenues and massively increased social expenditure.

Britain is among the countries worst placed for this challenge. You will of course keep walking, but the breathing should be painful, the atrophy in the muscles (two-third's loss in manufacturing output) and the heavy baggage (biggest debt per capita in the developed world) will make that jog rather laboured and slow. It won't be so enjoyable. How will Britons finance all the Sky subscriptions, expensive housing, tablets, new mobile phones, big screen tvs, new German cars and high priced supermarket products? I suspect the quality of life in Britain will go down even further. Having seen Harlow, that's hard to imagine, but it will. And you will keep walking yes. What other option do you have?

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, samran said:

It will be shipped frozen for competition all year round.

Competition between the Oz/NZ lamb and the UK lamb is like competition between Toyota and Tata. 

"Aussie Lamb is enjoyed in more than 100 countries all over the world. Why? Because Lamb from Australia has the ‘all-natural advantage’ and is available in a wide array of product lines and cuts. It’s pasture-raised, grassfed, and free of artificial additives as well as hormone growth promotants - a pure product of its pure environment."

3 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

A free trade agreement with UK will be welcomed by Australia - our economic, social and military ties go back a long way and leaving the EU is something most Australians support.  

So AussieBob, what's in for us? We have a FTA with Japan but still the Japanese single malt is so bloody expensive... 

31 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Competition between the Oz/NZ lamb and the UK lamb is like competition between Toyota and Tata. 

"Aussie Lamb is enjoyed in more than 100 countries all over the world. Why? Because Lamb from Australia has the ‘all-natural advantage’ and is available in a wide array of product lines and cuts. It’s pasture-raised, grassfed, and free of artificial additives as well as hormone growth promotants - a pure product of its pure environment."

and free of physical exercise and very fatty

same as the lamb from the islands down the road

16 hours ago, JWRC said:

It's a big But, they couldn't even agree on a reciprocal agreement for pensioners and pensions.

It depends on who you think "they" are.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNT-dLCUawTewL4pxVmSMHAuR0In2Q%3A1581049403298&ei=O-Y8Xor2EYXez7sPzcCmyAg&q=history+of+frozen+uk+pensions&oq=history+offrozen+uk+pensions&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.33i10.8222.13817..16393...0.2..0.103.870.9j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j35i304i39j0i13j0i8i13i30j0i8i13i10i30.TUjtO3oY7Xk

I googled 'history of frozen UK pensions and came up with this. It is a pdf document 37 pages long.

It goes back to 1925 when pensions were first introduced, amended in 1929, amended again in 1946, again in 1973, again in 1995.

I read the first 4 or 5 pages before my eyes started to glaze over and boredom set in. It is written in civil service gobbledy gook.

Basically successive governments have said that it would cost too much half a billion GDP I read somewhere so it won't happen in my lifetime (I am 75).

Froozen overseas pensions.pdf