Britain eyes early free trade pact with Australia after leaving EU

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Lol; Was that a yes or a no?

I was referring to what you had in the brackets - the irrelevance of the Commonwealth. 

Anyway, all going swimmingly for Domonic Raab in oz today 

https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/australian-mp-delivers-stunning-rebuke-to-uk-s-dominic-raab-on-huawei-20200206-p53yjg.html

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Forethat said:

I hate to be the one to deliver the bad news, but Australia would be a pretty miserable and lonely country (from a trading perspective) if trading was only to be performed with next door neighbours... :whistling:

Feeling out in the cold a bit are we?

Free trade agreements in force

The following are Australia’s free trade agreements (listed with the entry into force date):

https://dfat.gov.au/trade/agreements/in-force/Pages/free-trade-agreements-in-force.aspx

7 minutes ago, Forethat said:

Would you be OK if I asked you to have a look at a map before entering a discussion involving your next door neighbours?

:crazy::cheesy:

Didn't realise Beijing, Tokyo, Washington DC or Santiago were our next door neighbours. And you are asking me to look at a map?

Edited by samran
  • Confused 1

I think that we are gearing up for a free trade agreement with the Scots as all those haggises..((haggi?) will be in big demand.

Thank heavens we have a Queen of Australia (who just happens also to be the queen of a few foggy islands off the mainland of Western Europe as well..)????

Australia really doesn't have much in the way of kinship ties with England anymore-thank the lord Harry-and the days of endless re-runs of 'On the Buses' and 'The Benny Hill Show' are long gone.

Edited by Odysseus123

20 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

You would be surprised how much about Brexit and USA is shown in Australia - but not as to the exact workings. But we do know things like - that Frenchmen can fish in UK waters and British fishermen are banned. 

Ah, so you only know the made up stuff?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Forethat said:

Exactly. That was my whole point. Perhaps read up on the comments before firing up the arguing machine? I'll help you out:

In case it's unclear (apparently it is), my opinion is that you can trade regardless of geographical separation. Judging by the Australian free trade agreements, the people of Australia agree. Apparently, @CliffH disagrees.

540584740_Screenshot2020-02-07at09_44_35.thumb.png.7cb2e38f02995073bfa10cebf3c372a3.png

Ah, okay gotchya.

So dumping your most natural, closest and seamless trading links with the EU (which via you had trade access to other FTAs - eg EU-Canada - where your combined negotiating power gave you access countries that Australia could have ever dreamed of) is the way to go, so you can venture off to negotiate a bunch of half arsed and partial 'free' trade agreements with countries on the other side of the world. 

Australia had no choice but to go far and wide. You did. But it is a choice, and it has been made.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, vogie said:

You really are abusive, stop greeting and face the facts we are leaving, it was a democratic decision, sorry it has upset you so much.

Start posting in an amicable manner and you may get amicable replys.

Abusive?

Nah thats the remit of Brexiteers. Like calling people who think Brexit is a bad idea traitors.

Slogans and insults. Its all you guys can manage.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Forethat said:

It's a free world. Judging by YOUR principles I could open a convenience store across the street from where you live and then blame you for making "half arsed and partial decision" when you head down to Tesco's for groceries.

But keep chasing your windmills, I think you're doing a great job at that. :mfr_closed1:

Yes and if you opened a convenience store you would think it was a good idea to ban half your customers and try and get your goods from a wholesaler thousands of miles away rather than the one next door.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Forethat said:

It's a free world. Judging by YOUR principles I could open a convenience store across the street from where you live and then blame you for making "half arsed and partial decision" when you head down to Tesco's for groceries.

But keep chasing your windmills, I think you're doing a great job at that. :mfr_closed1:

No chasing windmills for me.

Sitting back, popcorn in one hand, beer in another, watching it all unfold...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Don Q savoured wine when he wasn't chasing

Fortunately im not from La Mancha. If it’s Spanish we are talking about, then I’m a bit of a Goya fan.

Saturn eating his children seems quite apt of what I’m seeing. 

5 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Says a man who wants Scotland to break ties with it's biggest trading partner, England ????

Its got a ready trading partner of 400m people just across the way to help soften the blow!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, samran said:

Its got a ready trading partner of 400m people just across the way to help soften the blow!

But they do >60% of trade with the rest of the UK which is right on their doorstep. Why mess with that? If you work out the answer, you'll get a better idea of why the UK voted to leave the EU. 

• Like 2